Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2015, 12:58 PM   #1

Mouse in new trailer. How common? How to prevent?

This trailer has been in our back yard maybe 4 months. Keep A/C on 85 to keep it fresh, no water or food around. Today we went out to open the windows for fresh air (nice little cold front blew through) and while looking in the bathroom counter where we keep our toilet paper...shredded toilet paper.

No signs anywhere else, but i know mice are good at hiding their tracks.

So I put out a snap trap with some peanut butter. He/she should be gone by tomorrow morning, assuming there is only one. Might have to set it for a few days to clear them out.

So, how common is it for mice to find their way into a trailer? Especially a new one?

What are good practices (other than obvious not leaving out water, food, gaps in walls) to keep them from returning?
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2015, 03:01 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Several of the NWR.s where we have volunteered place this product in all of their vehicles. Not unpleasant to humans but seems to work for mice. If you have any floor level drawers I would pull them all the way out off the runners and check the spaces behind. We stay parked 3 months at a time in highly infested areas so I use snap traps and sticky traps in the engine compartment, propane tank, and on top of the generator. Most of my other cautions are open to debate as to effectivness but I will tell you I have gone unmolested in woodrat and mouse habitat while all 5 of my neighbors had unwanted visitors. Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Rodent-R...dent+repellent
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #3

We use moth balls in our garage and around the perimeter of our TT to keep them away.
Texmac1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:21 PM   #4

I assume they are getting in through slideout seals? Rest of the trailer seems pretty tight.

My wife is into making her own soaps, diffuser oils, and perfumes, and she has looked up the ingredients. Might try the packets until she can tweak her own formula that works.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Shredded toilet paper means they're building a nest. A nest means babies. If you catch two mice, you have at least seven. Keep at it until they're gone.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Pure peppermint oil on cotton balls also repels them, and it smell nice !
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Alas I can not post the photo I wanted to attach but INSTALL CAT
Old 09-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #8

Smile

we are fulltimers and have had mice, didnt know they were there for some time until we found the 'signs' - stored paper towels ate apart, as well as having seen movement of one while watching tv outside(he was in the main bay, the door was open) - we took um all the way from the N Ga mountains to WakarusaIN Thor service facility, where I snap trapped 3 or 4 in one night. Got back to Ga in several weeks, and caught 5 more. Finally also realized that they were coming in during the night, caught 3 or 4 over several days in traps near the rear wheels, where I felt they may be finding a place to climb in. Haven't seen anymore in several weeks. But you never really know! Just keep the traps in place. They love peanut butter!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
So, how common is it for mice to find their way into a trailer? Especially a new one?
Mice don't care if your RV is new or old!

Remember, they can fit in the smallest openings. Put on the lights at night and crawl underneath to see if you can see any light. Check for openings in your storage areas. If you have your electric or water hose connected the opening at the entry to your RV could be the culprit. They can just walk up and come in. Check around your sink pipes.

When it's stored, keep your toilet paper and paper products stored in an upper cabinet so nesting material isn't convenient for them. Put some moth balls in a mesh bag and hang it your storage areas. We used to do that in our motorhome engine compartment and never had an issue of pack rats coming in and chewing on wires which can happen, also.

Best to find their entry now as fall is approaching and they'll come in to your nice warm RV. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:10 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Friend of mine works for a pest control company.

He said to place at least two traps because mice travel in pairs.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:13 PM   #11

X^^
Crawl underneath every inch and reseal every opening where propane lines, electrical or anything enters your coach.
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:18 PM   #12

Be ruthless and relentless in addressing this.

You don't have a mouse. You have mice. They are probably passing out party flyers whilst you are inside typing out your post.

I don't wanna be all chicken little here, but mice will destroy your trailer. Turds, wiring chewed, insulation peed on, oh man.....

You need to go all kinds of off the reservation on this. I wish I knew to tell you how or what, but I would be taking apart every possible part and panel and going all out with every home made AND carcinogen causing remedy ever told, rumored, or hinted at. I had a neighbor have mice get into his van unit thingy and it had to be gutted.

Now, stop typing, grab yer shotgun, getcha some NVGs, and get out there!
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Shredded toilet paper means they're building a nest. A nest means babies. If you catch two mice, you have at least seven. Keep at it until they're gone.
THAT is what I am afraid of.

Only had one trap yesterday, and set it. Will be going to the walmart in a few minutes to buy several more.

Need to post them in my garage and around my home, as well.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:06 AM   #14

Posted that last post before I read the rest, and I agree 100%!!!

Luckily, weather has cooled today so I can actually get out there and look around without sweating through my clothes in 5 minutes

Tags
vent