Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #1

Moving an RV

We are looking for a fifth wheel. We spend most of the year in Mexico but want something for about four months in the summer. We are trying to decide whether to park it somewhere full time or park it somewhere for the four months and then store it somewhere. We do not have a truck so will have to pay someone to move it to the park and possibly back and forth to storage. How can I find someone to do this and does anyone have an idea of the costs? We will be somewhere around Georgia or bordering states. Thank you.
ShellyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2016, 05:21 PM   #2

I would suggest you contact any RV dealers in your area (Opelika/Columbus)and ask them for any referrals. They deal with people that move RV's for their customers and would know who is reliable and competitive, and insured. As a second choice contact any campgrounds, like Pine Mountain Resort and find out if they have a source for RV movers. Taking a RV into Mexico may create other issues so you will need someone familiar with the procedure.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:05 AM   #3

Great!

Thank you for the good ideas.
Yes, bringing it into Mexico is an entirely different scenario. We rent a condo in Mexico so we only drive our car down here.
I see you live in Atlanta. Can you recommend any trustworthy places to look for RVs?
Old 12-02-2016, 07:32 AM   #4

Look at park models. Cheaper to buy, more residential feel. Buy it and park it in one place paying yearly space fees. Probably cheaper than trying to move it twice a year.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyW View Post
Thank you for the good ideas.
Yes, bringing it into Mexico is an entirely different scenario. We rent a condo in Mexico so we only drive our car down here.
I see you live in Atlanta. Can you recommend any trustworthy places to look for RVs?
Three Way in Kennesaw on Cobb Parkway/US41
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:54 PM   #6

X2 on Three Way Campers in Marietta. They have been in business for over 40 years, 3rd generation family owned. They must be doing a pretty good job for being there so long. Also, National Indoor RV Center seems to have a good following for a company with multiple locations. Normans Camper Sales in Marietta is a nice small privately owned dealer. I would avoid Camping World or Campers Inn as they have multiple locations and they can be hit and miss so finding a good one may be a challenge.

Closer to you is Columbus Camper Center with a location in Columbus and in Opelika. Do a Google search for contact information.

As another thought, since you are considering taking a RV to Mexico for an extended period you may want to contact some RV dealers in the Phoenix/Tucson area about crossing the border. Again find an independent dealer if you can, they will be more customer/service oriented.

When you feel you know what your needs will be then come to the forum with questions about your choice. Most 5th Wheel RVs will have ample room and storage for extended stays. It is just a matter of a floor plan you like, also many different manufacturers will have some floor plans that are nearly identical so don't get fixed on a particular brand, check quality complaints for a review of what is good (or bad) and keep in mind that some complainers wouldn't be satisfied with a Prevost so you have to sort out the real problems from the self inflicted ones.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:19 PM   #7

I have one more suggestion. There will be a RV show in January in Forest Park. A good place to look around without a lot of travel. Here is the web page. RVs

Click on the web site links for the dealers that exhibit there also.
Dealer Loc
Old 12-02-2016, 07:59 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot of campgrounds have storage areas for seasonal customers and they will move the camper/rv from the storage area to a campsite. One here in Georgia is the Jekyll Island State Park campground.

Jekyll Island Campground | Jekyll Island – Georgia's Vacation, Conservation and Educational Location

Another one:

Fair Harbor RV Park - Home Page

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #9

Thanks and I agree but we want to be able to relocate if the kids should move.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:28 AM   #10

Thanks so much. We're not bringing the RV into Mexico though. We will definitely check out the places you mentioned. Great help.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:32 AM   #11

Unfortunately we don't be back in Georgia until February 14th.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #12

Thank you everyone

Thanks so much for all the help. I'm afraid when I posted replies they didn't post as direct responses to the person I was replying to. I need to figure this forum out, sorry.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyW View Post
Thanks so much for all the help. I'm afraid when I posted replies they didn't post as direct responses to the person I was replying to. I need to figure this forum out, sorry.
Click the quote button on the bottom of the reply.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:20 PM   #14

If you're looking for an RV or a travel trailer that you don't plan on moving, you could do what I have done with purchasing my 40' fifth wheel. It is rather large and my F150 Triton wouldn't begin to pull it so I had to have a tow truck company move it 70 miles for me at a cost of $200 which isn't bad considering a 5th wheel hitch can cost you 600 and up. My travel trailer is set permanent as I won't be moving it and I'll be a full timer so I think the larger tri-axel was my best choice. The trailer was at a repo sale and the condition it's in being a 1998 model retails used for 12,500 but I was able to pick it up for 3500 which is a steal. Check around for auctions, bank repo sales, police auctions and so forth and you'll find something very affordable in very good condition. Happy travels