Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2014, 11:29 AM   #1

Moving to Georgia

We are looking to move to Georgia next year and besides house hunting we are trying to understand the costs associated with tags, title, etc. of our car and Class A RV. I went on the Georgia DMV WEB site but it is confusing at best so I was hoping someone could comment on the costs. Where we currently live we only pay an annual registration fee which is less than $200 for our car and RV but I know some state have much higher fees for the annual registration.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can not help you today, Might have some info tomorrow, I'm stuck in METTER GA just now with a blown engine,,, Heading to Savanna tomorrow, but Tow company owner is an RVer so I'll ask him.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #3

On new purchases you pay approximately 6 3/4 % of the sales price which pays your taxes you only pay $20.00 a year for a tag. My advalorem taxes run about $1,200 a year for the Rev. Taxes greatly depend on what county you live in,for instance Fulton (Atlanta) would be a lot more than a rural county.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
The sales tax on new vehicles, new purchased (where sales tax has been paid at the time of the sale) or vehicles being registered in the state is like rooster said. My Jeep was new and I pay 20 dollars for it. I believe you can do the same with whatever you are wondering about if you pay the tax on their book value when you first register in the county where you will live. I am on a tax equalization board and there was a lot of howling when this first came into affect, but since then it has basically died.
If you intend to keep the vehicle for an extended period then the best route is the 'one time' tax and the yearly fee. If you intend to sell or trade soon, they it might not be a good idea for you. The tax office in the county seat of where you are moving to can give you more info, but generally speaking the one time tax is best.
One other point. Concerning a private sale, when registering the tag under your name, you must present something that shows the sales tax has been paid. This does not work with daddy selling a child a nearly new car for $200 and showing a $14 sales tax was paid. It must be a legitimate 'arms length' sale, not some sweet heart deal to avoid taxes.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just paid my annual on my motorhome, car and utility trailer and it was about $450. Depends on your value and is due by the end of the month of your birth.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you plan to attend the IRV2 rally in Myrtle Beach? If so look us up, we will be in space HH38. We moved to the Atlanta area in 2007 from Indiana. We will be happy to answer your questions about moving here. You will love the south.
bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #7

The Arnolds.... Welcome to Georgia .. and the for the rest, Hey neighbors!!!
Old 07-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #8

I don't remember if the one time 6.75% fee was for a motor home or travel trailer. It was for one or the other--in lieu of future personal property taxes.

My North Georgia RV has had an Alabama tag--expired from 10 years ago.

Do you know where you'll be moving in GA? If not, let us know your desires, and someone on here will give you suggestions on what towns.

I left Lawrenceville 11 years ago because of the incredible Atlanta traffic--and I had a lake house waiting on me in Alabama. We called Lawrenceville Little Ohio because of all those from there that moved there.

But we still camp in the North Georgia mountains in Helen, GA quite often. There are some incredible communities to live in up there.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #9

The one time ad valorem tax took effect March 1, 2013. At that time it was 6.5% and in January of 2014 went to 6.75% and will be 7% in 2015. It applies to new or used self propelled vehicles purchased after the effective date. Does not apply to TT's or 5'rs. So the annual tag the self propelled vehicles is $20. For TT's and 5'rs it depends on the county and the value as to what the ad valorem tax will be plus the tax fee. Vehicles purchased before March 1, 2013 still pay ad valorem plus tag.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I don't remember if the one time 6.75% fee was for a motor home or travel trailer. It was for one or the other--in lieu of future personal property taxes.

My North Georgia RV has had an Alabama tag--expired from 10 years ago.

Do you know where you'll be moving in GA? If not, let us know your desires, and someone on here will give you suggestions on what towns.

I left Lawrenceville 11 years ago because of the incredible Atlanta traffic--and I had a lake house waiting on me in Alabama. We called Lawrenceville Little Ohio because of all those from there that moved there.

But we still camp in the North Georgia mountains in Helen, GA quite often. There are some incredible communities to live in up there.
Thanks for the information! So what I am reading I must pay this one time tax to register my car and RV plus the cost of tags in Georgia regardless if I paid a sales tax in Ohio (6.5%) when I first purchased our car and RV?

Our plan is to relocate in south central Georgia near the Florida state line east/west of I75. We do not want to live within any city limit.

Thanks Again!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:07 AM   #11

No, you will not pay the one time ad valorem tax when you register your car. That only applies if you purchased them in Georgia. You will pay the annual property tax (ad valorem) when you purchase your car/RV tag based on the age and value of the vehicles. You most likely will not be required to have an annual emissions test for the car, RV's are exempt anyway.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:56 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to Georgia. If you are moving to the Atlanta area, I think you will love the short trips to mountains or to the beach for long weekends. If you are bringing your RV from Ohio, you probably not find Ga tag taxes not much different with annual tax based on millage rate. However, when you trade for a new or used RV, (or any motorized vehicle) there is a significant difference. You can avoid the Ga sales tax (7% in my county). I purchased my motorhome last year for $60,000 and paid zero sales tax. However, I paid approx.$3900 (6.75%) advalorum when I purchased tag. This year I just received my tag bill for $20 and will remain $20 per year as long as I own my MH. If I sell my MH, then the new owner will have to pay the one time tax again, but will not have to pay the sales tax which creates a "wash" and eleminates the annual advalorum tax. Not a bad deal once you get past the first year.