Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sure hate to see these things.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Latest sad news the driver now died. Also, this was NOT a rental but borrowed. The driver was a professional bus driver according to the Fox New story. Still very sad, my prayers go out to the families and the owner who was not on board.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #17

You never know when something bad will happen.... Our prayers are with all .....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Hidden Msg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I guess if I could take one look at this wreck, the first thing I would check is the date code on the tires...
I get the feeling the cop did, and was delivering a msg to us, at the end of the article.

Did anyone else sense that?
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
I get the feeling the cop did, and was delivering a msg to us, at the end of the article.

Did anyone else sense that?
I drive a truck for a living,,, and the First thing was to replace all 6 tires with new ones....... Nothing is for sure,,, but it's good insurance....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
"By HOLBROOK MOHR
The Associated Press

JACKSON, Miss. — . . .
Forrest County, Miss., Coroner Butch Benedict said Sunday that 66-year-old Alfred Holt Jr. of Lithonia, Ga., the driver of the vehicle, died Sunday. On Saturday evening, 47-year-old Darryl Parker of Riverdale, Ga., died in the wreck. Benedict said Parker's wife was among at least 10 people injured in the crash.
. . .
Solomon Brannan, who said he owns the motorhome, told The Associated Press that he let a group of friends borrow it, but didn't go along because he had just returned from New Orleans and had a funeral to attend. He said Holt was a professional bus driver whom he felt confident could handle the large vehicle, but a blowout is hard to overcome.
"It was just an unfortunate thing," Brannan said.
. . .
Mississippi Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Miller said the motorhome blew a front tire, ran off Interstate 59 in Forrest County, Miss., and hit a tree in the median. He said two people were ejected from the motorhome. Benedict said he's not sure if Parker was one of them.
. . . "

A lot of unanswered questions here. We'll probably not know the answer to many of them. Our prayers for the families involved.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look in the forums for a thread with a title that includes words like "Watching these videos may save your life"

Believe it. Watch the videos.

Oh, and never carry more people than you have seat belts.

(There is a low speed exception to that last, but it's a special case)
Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #22

What's up with this guy?? His statement at the end of the article. Sounds like something he just made up , not knowing what else to say...His statement:

A vehicle like that - an RV, they're a good sized vehicle and so it's probably people, probably people didn't check their equipment out. It's just something that's probably not used very much. And if you don't use it, equipment will eventually start to wear away and ruin," said Todd Miller, Mississippi Highway Patrol public information officer
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
What's up with this guy?? His statement at the end of the article. Sounds like something he just made up , not knowing what else to say...His statement:

A vehicle like that - an RV, they're a good sized vehicle and so it's probably people, probably people didn't check their equipment out. It's just something that's probably not used very much. And if you don't use it, equipment will eventually start to wear away and ruin," said Todd Miller, Mississippi Highway Patrol public information officer
Completely unacceptable for a LEO to be making those types of judgement statements in the absence of evidence. People DIED here and there should be no speculation on LEO's part. It's harsh enough when we do it here on the forum but LEO's?

At first I thought it might be the first time this trooper had a camera in his face but now I see it's their public information officer?!?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Do You Intervene or Trust Adults to Use Good Judgement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Look in the forums for a thread with a title that includes words like "Watching these videos may save your life"

Believe it. Watch the videos.

Oh, and never carry more people than you have seat belts.

(There is a low speed exception to that last, but it's a special case)
The movie is HERE.

I lay out belts when carrying passengers, but am reluctant to tell grown adults they have to buckle up. Full disclosure: I'm a former military safety officer, steadfast belt user, airline pilot. Over two decades' flying, I've seen maybe ten crewmembers buckle up, in crew vans and buses.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
There are so many questions. Do they under stand a motorhome is near fully weighted with just the driver and one passenger; A motorhome does NOT drive like a bus..WE had a motorhome in the rental fleet;It slept 8 ,and that was how many would pile in with booze ETC, it was a big party; It is sad to see an accident, No matter when or where; But we must look at all the facts be they good or bad We in our motorhomes have been crouded out of the lanes we were driving in. Did we have an accident ??? Some of us have had blow outs and Tho Not good we handled it. It is sad ;;; Lets not put blame on anything..Or any one..We had a close frind barrow a motorhome from another friend. They took a trip with 4 children and there wives. They blew 2 tires. The story goes on.. Life is good.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Rest In Peace to those who passed away. I hope those who were hurt get well soon. What a sad accident. This safety video on RV tire blowouts has been posted before here but I think it couldn't hurt to post it again. Be safe friends!--->
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We purchased a 1999 National SeaView 33' in October and realy haven't driven it much... The tires we could tell were weather checked and bad, but the guy who sold us the RV was so concentrated on tread depth he couldn't see the weather checking... We drove The Beach House as little as we could until we got the tires replaced, but that last trip out is the one that made us put it in the driveway until our tires were ready to go on... Driving 65mph down a highway and one of the rear duals came un-capped and then blew... It was scary, but luckily i was able to get it off the highway and into a safe place to change the tire...
Moral of that story... Its not the tread depth on RV tires that you usually EVER have to worry about, its tire age and how well were/are the tires protected when they are stored... You can look at the sidewalls of a tire and see if its aged and cracking, if it is, its not safe to drive on...
The RV in this accident sounded like it was just off a fresh trip, but that could have only made the tire situation worse not better... Tires have to move to keep fresh, just like EVERYTHING else in an RV, the more it sits the worse it is...
My heart goes out the familes and friends and especially the owner of this RV... Tragic...
TheBeachHous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
This has already been covered, but I will add my two cents only because this is a local story and has been covered by the local media in full. The motorhome was loaned to the people by the owner. They driver was a bus driver and use to big rigs. There was a blown front tire. The only problem is there was not enough seat belts and possible overloading.

Tags
motorhome