Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Let me state this.... Unless you assume ALL responceability DO not tell someone how to Drive a motorhome ; It is so easy to do. and so hard to defend in the witness chair; The responce would maybe;; What I ment to say was...... As we seen A professional driver cannot handle all conditions. It is sad. Let us only try to do better. and overlook those IDIOTS That believe they own the road, and RV do not belong there;;; In our prayers;;

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last Memorial Day weekend, my front driver's side tire blew out instantaneously. No warning at all and the Doran tire pressure monitor showing green all 10 tires ok.

Thank God for the Safe-T-Plus....there was absolutely no pull to the left or right, the rig just dropped straight down as I watched the carcass in the rear view mirror miss my toad and fly into the next lane over. We were on I-10 in lane 2 of 4, a construction zone, K-rail with no shoulder, lanes narrowed up, doing 62 mph, in moderate traffic, straight route, and at night. The Safe-T-Steer works as advertised.

My lesson learned: 8 yr old tires is too long even if you maintain them in excellent condition. I use 303 Protectant on everything rubber and vinyl so the sidewalls looked good, no surface cracks, 55K miles and good tread left. I monitor the tire pressures and never drove any miles with the tires under inflated. The tires were original Michelin XRV which are known to have the "zipper" problem.

I've always wondered "What if?" ....it was a 2 lane highway, in a left sweeping turn not banked, significant crown, some downhill speed, deep ditch, lined with trees, and then right side front blowout. I wonder how much control the Safe-T-Plus would maintain in those conditions. 6 to 9 months ago when there was a rash of tour bus accidents, one included a front tire blowout in worst-case conditions much like this.

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It published reports don't say, but I have to wonder, what kind of buses did the driver normally drive? Did he drive over the road buses like Greyhound/Trailways at highway speeds or did he normally drive city transit buses that stop often and rarely exceed 35-40 mph. That could make a big difference on his being able to hande a blowout at highways speeds.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bill, take a look at Tire Blowout video thread post #10. That pretty well describes what happen to me in 2008.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #33

I have to ask...is society morbid? It seems almost all RV accidents have to have someone post on these boards....isn't it bad enough for all that were involved? Isn't there anything good to discuss? Everyone here is speculating and has no proof of anything..be it right or wrong...so why speculate on such a terrible situation?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #34

bachler has nailed it-a major contributing factor, if not the sole reason for the accident is simply the fact that 90% of motorhomes are unsuited for their intended use with regard to weight carrying capacity.
Yes I know that 13 people were reported to have been on board the rv but even if they all tipped in at 250 lbs that is only 3250 lbs; compare this to what the total weight would have been under -normal- maximum occupant capacity and I think that all would agree-or rather I hope all would agree- the maker needs to spend some time in the can.

It could have been much much worse; imagine if rather than a tree it were a school bus-fuel tanker-or a family, someone needs to go to jail and it isn't the driver,owner, mechanic or tire maker.

The industry in general and the RVIA in particular own this.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
I have to ask...is society morbid? It seems almost all RV accidents have to have someone post on these boards....isn't it bad enough for all that were involved? Isn't there anything good to discuss? Everyone here is speculating and has no proof of anything..be it right or wrong...so why speculate on such a terrible situation?

Agree!!!!!

Dieselclacker
Old 01-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #36

So there should be no comment until months from now when some sort of offical determination is made?-I'll bet all that an awful lot of people are going to go and take a real good look at the tires on their rigs .
Old 01-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I don't see the discussions as morbid. It is truly tragic that this has happened. Hopefully by discussing it someone has gained from it. Possibly they will now insist on seat belts being used, or maybe they checked the date codes on their tires, checked for checking in the side walls, watched the blow out video or even decided to install something similar to the safe-T-plus device on their rig.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
So there should be no comment until months from now when some sort of offical determination is made?-I'll bet all that an awful lot of people are going to go and take a real good look at the tires on their rigs .
Exactly my point! It's not speculation that the front tire blew out. So a extremely rare accident like this with 13 people on board brings up a lot of issues.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
bachler has nailed it-a major contributing factor, if not the sole reason for the accident is simply the fact that 90% of motorhomes are unsuited for their intended use with regard to weight carrying capacity.
Yes I know that 13 people were reported to have been on board the rv but even if they all tipped in at 250 lbs that is only 3250 lbs; compare this to what the total weight would have been under -normal- maximum occupant capacity and I think that all would agree-or rather I hope all would agree- the maker needs to spend some time in the can.

It could have been much much worse; imagine if rather than a tree it were a school bus-fuel tanker-or a family, someone needs to go to jail and it isn't the driver,owner, mechanic or tire maker.

The industry in general and the RVIA in particular own this.
If you are saying that all RV's should be designed to accommodate 13 passengers and their baggage. Are you saying that all RV's should have a CCC greater Than 3,000 pounds. Many people live full time in coaches with about 3,000 pounds of CCC. Few 40 foot coaches with 3 or 4 slides and no tag axle will have a CCC much greater than that.

There are many things not known about this tragic accident. There were certainly several bad decisions made but there in nothing here that points to any wrong doing by The manufacturer back in 2002.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
It is good to discuss Things like this (never good to see them happen) The most important thing is, Not to put blame on anyone/anything With out knowing all the hard facts; A lot of speculation, In what if. should have,But then;; That is NOT good. let us remember the must used word is .. ASSUME , and look what that is made up with ASS U ME. The accident is/was traggic. What ever the cause was..
Old 01-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #41

Another case of IT's NOT MY FAULT.Someone overloads the coach and it is the builder's fault.If I run out of fuel it is the builder's fault. He should have put in a larger tank.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Former Safety Officer and Author Speaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
...why speculate on such a terrible situation?
These discussions can save your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
The only problem is there was not enough seat belts and possible overloading.
That is very powerful news to those of us who carry passengers.

My CCC is a generous 5,600 lbs. But, I need to know how much of that I've already consumed with permanently-loaded gear.

Is there any way of knowing how much margin this operator had? Does the size of the rig mean a NTSB or NHTSA report will be published to aid us in avoiding similar circumstances?

Tags
motorhome