Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
My CCC is a generous 5,600 lbs. But, I need to know how much of that I've already consumed with permanently-loaded gear.
Are you sure about 5,600 lb CCC?

I once looked at the FW Excursion and still have this data from when I was considering the purchase.

Not correcting you just offering it as a safety thought.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05 FW Ex.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	17010  

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #44

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anybody SPECULATE that the driver was too drunk to react to the blowout situation at hand? Or SPECULATE that maybe the driver went to sleep and ran over an object in the road causing a blowout on the front, or SPECULATE any of dozens of things that could have caused this accident?
Point is all this talk is just speculation until the investigation is complete as to the cause of this tragic accident. Discussion may be well and good, but assessing blame, or determining cause at this time is just not possible with only the information that was available in a news article.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Dieselclacker

Old 01-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Speculation is a waste of time! Assigning blame is a bigger waste of time!

Those two statements apply to all accidents, but providing information that makes us think about what we are doing as Motorhome operators and hopfully making us safer on the highways is priceless...

That is why I read threads like this, not for speculation or assignment of blame, but to make me think about what I am doing and is it the smart thing or do I need to make some changes.

Safe and happy travels to all.
Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #46

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
What's up with this guy?? His statement at the end of the article. Sounds like something he just made up , not knowing what else to say...His statement:

A vehicle like that - an RV, they're a good sized vehicle and so it's probably people, probably people didn't check their equipment out. It's just something that's probably not used very much. And if you don't use it, equipment will eventually start to wear away and ruin," said Todd Miller, Mississippi Highway Patrol public information officer

When a vehicle sits: Tires dry rot from sun exposure without flexing to bring protective oils to the surface, Brakes can rust without frequent polishing caused by application of same, Bearings and bearing surfaces (Tie Rod/Drag link ends, king pins, other suspension/steering parts) can rust and fail.

When the vehicle is driven frequently, lubrication is spread around better, Brakes are kept polished by application and tires protected by the essential protective oils naturally embedded in same.

So the officer's statment "Will eventually start to wear away" is not precisely accurate, (Rot away would be closer) but,,, to be honest, is rather close to the mark.

I used to buy what I call "Road Kill" Cars, that is cars that were forfited to the police impound for one reson or another.. Nearly all of them needed a major brake overhaul and new tires in addition to the expected oil change and lube job. Brake master cylinder usually failed within a month of putting the car back into use. This was never a problem for me.. as ,, Well I know how to fix it. But still... EVERY TIME after the car had sat long enough to be fully processed.. It needed this kind of work.

Motor homes, in this regard are great big cars.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

No doubt the officer was correct in his general statement about using and maintaining equipment to keep it safe. I think the concern with his statement was that he wasn't speaking at some newbie seminar at an RV Rally but rather making statements about what caused a terrible tragedy that killed two people. He seems to state that it is "probably people who didn't check out their equipment"... implying THAT was the cause of the accident.

Not at all appropriate IMO.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #48

Its all about the occ or ccc or whatever one properly calls it these days-the makers in general and RVIA in particular have duped the rv buying public for years and they not only should but MUST go to jail, for those of us who have looked at all the pictures on that site, this manufacturer puts the RVIA sticker on their product-criminal in every way shape and form.

It would be irresponsible NOT to comment on this horrible incident, can you imagine what life if going to be like for the nice guy who let his friend take the coach AND the mechanic that serviced it last?, now this will be the morbid part.

My 'morbid' curiosity really wants to know the make and model of the rv involved, once I know this the more 'morbid' part of me will research just how much weight the coach could carry legally.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Correct Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Are you sure about 5,600 lb CCC?

I once looked at the FW Excursion and still have this data from when I was considering the purchase.

Not correcting you just offering it as a safety thought.
No, especially when safety is involved, correct away.

I was doubting myself, ran out to the bus bay in the cold with robe blowing, in slippers. Whew. The breeze blew all the way up to... Oh, nevermind

I was relieved, mildly amused, curious. Nearly 5,800 lbs. Why is mine such a horse?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4731.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	808.0 KB
ID:	17029  
Old 01-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry for the accident, but wonder if alcohol is to blame

I see where they were returning from the Superdome, after a football game. With that many people, it sounds like a rented rolling party!

Tailgating, drinking and too many distractions for the driver.

I would be interested in knowing if the brakes had been applied prior to impact, the experience the driver had at operating this vehicle, and of course any open alcoholic containers found at the scene.

I have investigated fatal crashes for over 20 years, and common sense will always point to the contributing factors.

Partying is fine, however, you just have to know when to leave it parked!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyes View Post
I see where they were returning from the Superdome, after a football game. With that many people, it sounds like a rented rolling party!

:
The story says they were on their way TO the game, not returning FROM it.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Speculation is running rampant as to the cause of this accident.

If we must speculate, lets speculate on the tragedy the families are experiencing and how they are coping with the injuries and the loss of lives.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
MH Accident

Going to or from, do you really think that they waited til arrival to start the festive atmosphere. It is a true trajedy, and no one is looking to assign blame, however others can learn from the acts of others.

I would bet that more than one person has checked their rigs for defects since reading this sad story.

We have been party to some tailgating ventures multiple times, and the mood is full of laughter, enthusiasm and distractions for those trying to operator a MH.

Rule of operation is "everybody seated, and belted in if possible. However,
with 13 people, that is a lot of seat belts.

We pray for those lost and injured, and hope that their tragedy serves to prevent another in the same manner.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #54

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Speculation is running rampant as to the cause of this accident.

If we must speculate, lets speculate on the tragedy the families are experiencing and how they are coping with the injuries and the loss of lives.

Amen!! Absolutely!

Dieselclacker
Old 01-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #55

Far more often than not speculation leads to motive/ hard evidence in investigations-speculation; its a good thing.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rough road View Post
Far more often than not speculation leads to motive/ hard evidence in investigations-speculation; its a good thing.
Yeah buddy, thats what I would want. A bunch of uninformed persons with absolutely no knowledge of the facts speculating on how one of my loved ones was killed. My gosh, some are speculating these people were killed leaving a game, exhausted and hung over days before the game had been played. Yep, thats who I want speculating my families death.

I pray none of the survivors or any of the families of this tragic accident ever read any of these posts.

BTW...just some more fodder for you speculators. There were 14 in the mh not 13. They ranged in age from 40's-70's (yep, bunch of party animals). The MH was privately owned and loaned to the group who were his friends.

Name:	RV-group_1248456c.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	17047

Tags
motorhome