Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2007, 04:34 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know this has been covered in the past but I wanted to add my .02 worth. We live in a busy tourist area and already this year we have noticed numerous motorhomes parked in our local Wal-Mart parking lot for 3 days or more with slides out on both sides. Now I am probably the first one who would park overnight for 1 night while traveling at a Wal-Mart that welcomed me to do so, but I don't think their generosity is meant for people to set up camp and stay for more than 1 night when the RVer's intent is obviously to stay in the area for a while. I can't help but think this creates a negative impression for RVer's and RVs in general and will eventually kill the goose that is laying the golden eggs. This negativity will carry over to other RV issues and may eventually mean that not only will you not be able to park overnight at Wal-Mart but also you might not be able to park in your own back yard! I hope some RVers learn the difference between "just passing through and need a place to sleep" and "going to stay here for a while"!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2007, 04:34 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know this has been covered in the past but I wanted to add my .02 worth. We live in a busy tourist area and already this year we have noticed numerous motorhomes parked in our local Wal-Mart parking lot for 3 days or more with slides out on both sides. Now I am probably the first one who would park overnight for 1 night while traveling at a Wal-Mart that welcomed me to do so, but I don't think their generosity is meant for people to set up camp and stay for more than 1 night when the RVer's intent is obviously to stay in the area for a while. I can't help but think this creates a negative impression for RVer's and RVs in general and will eventually kill the goose that is laying the golden eggs. This negativity will carry over to other RV issues and may eventually mean that not only will you not be able to park overnight at Wal-Mart but also you might not be able to park in your own back yard! I hope some RVers learn the difference between "just passing through and need a place to sleep" and "going to stay here for a while"!
Old 06-19-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
The Walmart 'horse' has been beaten to death.

If that Walmart doesn't mind if their customers park there for several nights why should anyone else? It's their parking lot.

Parking there several nights causes no harm to anyone. Personally, I'd rather be elsewhere for my RVing experiences, but each to his own. That's what makes life so interesting.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You might go in and find the store manager and lodge a complaint with him and let him know that this is not what is considered normal RVer behavior, in you opinion.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:04 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe there were extenuating circumstances.

Last year while on vacation our brakes failed and while we were waiting on parts to be shipped over night, we had to limp to a Walmart parking lot which was only a few blocks from the repair facitlity, to spend the night.

We ask the mannager if it was ok and he said sure and since it was a Super 24 hour Walmart they had security cameras and police if needed.

I'm pretty sure if the parts hadn't come in the next day, we could have spent another night in the parking lot.

We did spend almost $300 while shopping there.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:15 AM   #6

WOW! I can't believe that anyone would suggest that an RVer complain to the store manager!

Geeze, like the manager doesn't know that a rig is out there?

MYOB, is my suggestion!

With all the BS about this subject, I an absolutely amazed at such a suggestion...
Old 06-20-2007, 01:19 AM   #7

And it's NOT "Camping". It's "parking".
Old 06-20-2007, 05:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Easyrider

You are taking a lot of flak from folks that do not seem to care about the "image" of the RV'er.

You seem too and I do and that is also why the major national RV organizations (FMCA, GOOD SAM, Escapees and many others) have signed on and support a set of guidelines that are exactly what you are saying.

The actions of a few will usually mess it up for the many. It just becomes too much hassel for the WM folks to deal with along with the problems with the local campgrounds and other civic do gooders.

BTW living in a coach is "camping". Parking is leaving it unattended.

JMTCW

I will get off my rant now cause I do not want to start a war or flames.

Dave O

PS last post on this subject
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:11 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
I agree with one thing, putting out your 'slides', chairs etc in a WM is 'poor' taste, period!! I won't ever do it, and DW would never agree to it either.

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #10

In my opinion there in nothing wrong with stopping for a few hours (overnight) to get some sleep before moving on. After all, didn't we buy our RV's for that kind of freedom. Personally, when I get to a place I plan on spending some time in, I prefer the security and hookups of a local campground. I have to agree, spending multiple nights with slides out, etc. is creating a bad image for us RVers.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks everyone for your comments. Remember that I said I too would park overnight if just looking for a place to sleep while passing through. What I'm concerned about as a some of you already noted is how we appear to other "non-rvers" who already don't like us because we "burn a lot of gas", "are too hard to see around", "drive too slow", or any other reason they might come up with to justify taking away some of the privileges we currently enjoy. How long do you think Wal-Marts would welcome us if a lot of us (majority) started parking and staying in their lots for free. Do the math, when Wal-Mart starts loosing money due to lack of parking space, or even more likely looses money devending itself from lawsuits filed by RVer's who had a bad experience in their parking lot and therefore it must be Wal-Marts fault, they will put away the welcome mat. In my opinion when cities start to legislate the right to park or not park at the local Wal-Mart at the urging of local tourist businesses, it won't be a big strech for them to decide to legislate if you can park in your own back yard while they're at it.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:32 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The fact is that stopping for a few hour sleep is just that...stopping. Once you stay over a longer time period, several days, look like camp is setup with slides out and all the camping gear is out, you are no longer stopping, but you are camping.

This type behavior puts all RVers in a bad light with the general public and this is the type behavior that makes cities pass laws prohibiting RVers from even stopping for a few hours.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:01 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Steve;
I totally agree with you. Human nature being what it is " We will ride a free horse to death"

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

Wow....yet another Walmart thread.

This issue will seemingly never go away, so all I ask is that you respect the views of your fellow members...

With two of our "own" in here, I know it'll be fine....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote