Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #1
My $12 bike rack

I wanted to get a bike rack for the rear of my motorhome and was looking for the type that fits in the receiver hitch. I shopped around and found that they are fairly expensive, like north of $250.00. I only need a rack that holds 2 bikes as it's just my wife and I.

So, being that I'm a cheap Yankee and like doing things myself, I built my own. I had some 1 1/4" X 1/8" square steel tubing that I had left over from a project I did a couple years ago where I converted an old boat trailer to a utility trailer. That with a piece of 2X2 1/8" angle iron became the bones of my rack. I had some 2X2 square aluminum tubing that was extra from the legs on my boat dock that became the tire supports. I had an unused receiver insert that for some reason was longer than all the others I had. My son had a bike rack that is a telescoping aluminum pole with two supports for bikes. He didn't want it anymore so I repurposed that. All said and done the only things I had to purchase were $12 worth of rubber straps from a bike shop to hold the tires to the rack.

Still in mockup stage, I'm going to pull it all apart, give a once over with a flap sander to smooth out sharp edges and bumps then hit it with some gloss black paint. I used my truck for assembly as it was close at hand.

I cut down the aluminum pole and reversed the bike supports so that they put down pressure on the bikes rather than supporting them.

I also set up the two support arms so that they can be folded up for storage. I still need to drill a couple holes to add clevis pins to lock the arms in the down position.

The aluminum post is supported on the inside by a piece of the square steel tubing. After everything is painted I will bolt the aluminum tube to the steel support inside it.

This is the 2X2 aluminum tubing before cutting it in half on the diagonal to make the tire supports. I used the side with the flat corner to attach them to the arms.

Here's the tire/wheel supports with the rubber straps I bought in place. I welded some 3/8" hex head bolts to the inside of the arm ends then rounded the corners on the head to allow the rubber straps to attach easily.

Yes, it's heavy. Yes, it's overbuilt....I stood on the end of each arm and jumped up and down on it several times to make sure it was strong enough...all 195lbs of me. If it holds me it will hold two bicyles. Reason I overbuilt it was because in 1987 while traveling cross country in my first motorhome we had our bikes on a rack that attached to the square tube bumper. BIG mistake. My wife was driving and I overheard truckers on the CB warning about bikes in the road westbound on I-80 in Indiana. Well, they were our bikes. We learned the hard way that you don't mount a bike rack on the tube bumper! So the moral of that story is that this one isn't going to fall off. For safety purposes I welded two eyebolts on the front and back of the rack. I'll use a ratchet strap as extra security in addition to the upper brackets to hold the bikes. I'll also run a security cable through the frames of both bikes and attach that to the safety chain attachment loops on the receiver hitch.

It may not be as pretty as a Thule or Yakima rack, but it only cost me $12. Plus it's much stronger than those thin walled tube racks on the market. I have enough faith in my welding skills that I know it won't go anywhere.

I'll report back when I get it painted.

CaptainSkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2015, 07:39 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Got to love that Yankee ingenuity! Nice job!

Tricia & Dennis Lockhart
2010 Ventana 4333
Spartan MM w/Cummins 360 ISC
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:46 PM   #3

Carolina Campers
My $12 bike rack

Looks great, and probably sturdier than the store bought racks... Be carful, you may get some orders...

tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:40 PM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Nice job.
holdren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:50 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most excellent!
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
Nice work, looks just fine to me. Can't beat the price.
2005 Kenworth Showhauler truck conversion.
. 44 ft, Cummins ISX15 450 hp, 10 speed, twin screw
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:44 PM   #7
I was out of town for a couple weeks but I finally got a chance to put my finishing touches on the rack. Disclaimer, the cost is now up to about $25. I made a couple minor changes that required the purchase of 4 J bolts, 2 D rings and 2 spring/clevis pins.

I added the J bolts to hold the end of the tire straps. I didn't like the angle that they were at on the original design. I sprayed the J bolts and the tire support tracks with Rustoleum Flexidip, the rest is gloss black paint.

Here's the finished project.

The spring/clevis pin lets me quickly unhitch the arms to fold them up.

J bolts installed for each tire strap plus a D ring welded in place for additional tie down points if needed.

Here it is with 2 bikes on it. I decided to mount the upper part with the supports facing upwards rather than putting down pressure on the bike frames. Now I have 4 points of contact on each bike. Ratchet strap over the top, around both bike frames and to the rack and I'm good to go.

Here's how the tire straps work.

And to top it all off I got an end cap for a piece of plastic electrical conduit, painted it black and secured it in place.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #8
Be sure to lock it in your hitch or it will be gone in 60 seconds.....
Grubmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:10 PM   #9
Originally Posted by Grubmaster View Post
Be sure to lock it in your hitch or it will be gone in 60 seconds.....
Step ahead of you, I've got a locking insert pin for it already!