Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
My 16 mile trip (long)

After spending about two years looking for a new fifth wheel to replace our 2002 Prowler we finally found a rig we really liked. After seaching locally we went online and found great deal in Michigan. So we jumped on it.

Waiting for a break in the weather I packed up the truck and headed to Michigan. We live on a dirt road in Maine which turns into a mud pit in the spring, so I wanted to get the rig home while the ground was still frozen. I had a couple of free weeks to make the trip so I was in no rush.

I arrived in Muskegon late in the day so I got a hotel room. Got a good nights sleep and headed to All Seasons RV. Great people and extremely helpful. We did a walkthrough and hooked up the truck. We did a last look at the weather and hit the road.

The roads were clear but it was a bit windy so towing a new trailer, I was taking it slow. Occasionally there was some blowing snow but nothing bad. That was until I was approaching Coopersville, 16 miles down the road from the dealer.

Suddenly near white out, snow blowing across the road. Traffic slowed right down to 15 to 20mph. Everyone has their flashers on and is staying in line. I was impressed! Many parts of the country traffic would just plow through.

All of a sudden I start to jack knife.... Nothing I try to do will correct it. The truck is now 180 degrees around and still going. The trailer slams into the passenger side door with a crash and the door and rear windows blow out. I come to a stop, snow is now blowing in. I am sitting their wondering what just happened? I am a better driver than this.

About a minute passes, I pull my heavy jacket from under all the glass when some one comes to my door and asks if I am ok. I assure him I am and he says, "I am sorry I hit you, I could not stop and did not want to hit the brakes." I look back and it was tanker truck... he had hit me in the left rear and kept pushing me from behind. That's when I realize why I had zero control. 80 thousand pounds of truck and liquids pushing my little 18 or so thousand was no match.

So what does all this mean? I don't know. Maybe never try to pull a trailer in winter? I have been doing it for years. Maybe never buy a new trailer? I hope not.

So I sit here at the Holiday Inn in Muskegon with a totaled truck and a heavily damaged brand new fifth wheel waiting for the insurance adjusters to look at the carnage before I can fly home

So if any one in the area would like to meet me for a drink at the Holiday Inn , come on down.

GaryInMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
It is good to hear that you are alright! It sucks about your truck and new trailer. Hopefully that insurance company will do right for you.
Keep us posted on how things work out.

2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #3

Glad you're alright. The truck and 5th wheel can always be replaced.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Gary wow so glad your okay.
he didn't want to hit his brakes, so it was a better option to run over you.
And injury you or worse!
Wow that don't make sense at all to me. I hope his insurance is good.
Wow didn't want to hit his brakes. That's mind boggling. If I was close I'd
come and drink one with you. Go by you some more levi's I know I would have to..
Don G.
F/T 11/20/2012
Tumble Weed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
MAN! That really is one heck of a bad day you had. I don't drink but I would by you a case if I was there. Glad no one was hurt and hope you get a speedy turn around with THEIR insurance.

Stay (mostly) sober my friend.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
I also am glad you were not hurt... Thats the main thing. Sorry about your rig,,, hope they buy you a brand new one !!!!
Monkey, pilot of a Great Dane hauler,
2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Alison 4x4 CrewCab 2016 Cougar 28SGS
monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
Forest River Owners Club
It's been such a long, mean winter...that just makes it that much worse. I wish you the best of luck on getting out of this mess.
Dan (RVM67), Yvonne & 2 nutty mutts
2015 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WFKSS; 2012 Sierra 2500HD Crew
Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread...
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
Gary I sent a pm.
Graydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #9
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad your OK. What a dolt diving the big truck.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
Thank you all for you kind wishes. Hopefully things will get settled quickly. At least it was not a boring trip!
GaryInMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Glad your well and safe. Lake affect snow comes out of nowhere sometimes. We have had several unscheduled stops coming around the tip of Lake Michigan on Rt.94.
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm sorry that happened. It sure ruins a good plan.

I would wonder what was in the tanker that caused him to continue instead of hitting the brakes and doing the same thing, jackknifing and possibly spilling a load that could contaminate a community. Just wondering. Hitting you may have been the lesser of two evils, but definitely not good for you. Also as a professional driver he most likely knows now he should have pulled over and waited it out.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #13
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Now that has to be some kind of record, for how long before a trailer gets totaled. The thing is if he hit his brakes he might have gone into a worse spin and maybe caused a deadly crash. It was your lucky day that you aren't laying in hospital, instead of sitting at bar.
Judy & Ralph, w/Molly (the Westie) & Sadie (the Fourche Terrier)
2011 Ford F350 6.7 Lariat
2013 Infinity 3850RL
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:44 PM   #14
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gary--man, I am so sorry for you! That is a bummer for sure, but don't take it too hard. Not your fault...

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL,Freightliner Chassis, Allison 3000.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad w/ Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and M&G Braking System
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote