Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,295
My $248 car wash!

Yep, took the toad to a drive-through car wash to get the dust off after towing. We have used this car wash before. We paid our $4 and stayed in the car while it went through.

Now, as Paul Harvey would have said, the rest of the story. We exited the car wash, drove about a block and pulled into a grocery store. As I turned in, it was evident we had a flat! I pulled into a safe area, got out, and found flat tires on the front and rear tires on the driver's side!

We have TPMS sensors on the toad tires that work with the TireTraker monitoring system in the MH. The brushes on the car wash had hit the sensors with enough force to break off the aluminum valve stems! Lucky for us the sensors were still hanging on the broken stems.

We called Good Sam ERS and they could not find a service facility that was still open that late in the day. They sent a flat-bed tow truck that picked up the car (and us) and took us back to the campground. The next morning the tow truck came back, loaded up the car again, and took it and me to a Honda dealership about 35 miles away. The Honda Accord has special valve stems that have built-in pressure sensors that give a warning on the dash if a tire loses air.

The dealership was good enough to work me right in, and two hours later I was driving out after a $244 bill! Definitely the most expensive car wash I have very had!

P.S. the Honda dealership gave me another car wash free!
__________________

__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brockx's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Punta Gorda FL.
Posts: 2,631
Well at least that is a favorable Good Sam ERS report. Next time spring for the $10 bikini car wash.
__________________

__________________
2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
dennis45's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 6,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Yep, took the toad to a drive-through car wash to get the dust off after towing. We have used this car wash before. We paid our $4 and stayed in the car while it went through.

Now, as Paul Harvey would have said, the rest of the story. We exited the car wash, drove about a block and pulled into a grocery store. As I turned in, it was evident we had a flat! I pulled into a safe area, got out, and found flat tires on the front and rear tires on the driver's side!

We have TPMS sensors on the toad tires that work with the TireTraker monitoring system in the MH. The brushes on the car wash had hit the sensors with enough force to break off the aluminum valve stems! Lucky for us the sensors were still hanging on the broken stems.

We called Good Sam ERS and they could not find a service facility that was still open that late in the day. They sent a flat-bed tow truck that picked up the car (and us) and took us back to the campground. The next morning the tow truck came back, loaded up the car again, and took it and me to a Honda dealership about 35 miles away. The Honda Accord has special valve stems that have built-in pressure sensors that give a warning on the dash if a tire loses air.

The dealership was good enough to work me right in, and two hours later I was driving out after a $244 bill! Definitely the most expensive car wash I have very had!

P.S. the Honda dealership gave me another car wash free!
All's well that end's well. It's what keeps you from getting bored.

Just curious, did GS pick up both towing charges? There was a bizarre thread a few days ago that tried to make GS out to be evil.
__________________
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
tomckeon's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 246
I whine about $8..................... I've also lost a chrome tailpipe tip by the brushes before.
__________________
Tom and Gail McKeon
2007 Beaver Contessa 43' Tag CAT C9
2010 Jeep Wrangler,2015 HD "Ultra Limited"on Hydralift
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
All's well that end's well. It's what keeps you from getting bored.

Just curious, did GS pick up both towing charges? There was a bizarre thread a few days ago that tried to make GS out to be evil.
Yep, they didn't give me any static about taking care of both trips!
They also didn't try to get me to use after-market valve stems!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
jcthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 474
Why did you not ask for the car wash to pay for the damages to your vehicle?
__________________
38ft 2008 Damon Daybreak 3575 (forward kitchen)on Ford 22,000lb chasis, 242" WB.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
BFlinn181's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 16,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Why did you not ask for the car wash to pay for the damages to your vehicle?
Have you ever read all the disclaimers on the signs at the entrance of a car wash? They claim nothing the machine does to your car is their fault. Sure, legally it might not hold up in court, but lawyers aren't free.
__________________

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
bamaboy473's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Gulf Coast, Alabama
Posts: 1,733
I think there's a disclaimer posted on most car washes that excludes liability for any part of any vehicle that gets knocked off or damaged. That was originally done for whip antennas, but I bet it covers everything else, too.

Not enough money in the damages to go to court or hire an attorney to write a letter.
__________________
Rick and Sandy
2003 American Eagle, 52K miles
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naples, Fl.
Posts: 1,303
Wow! Thank for the heads up .
__________________
Camping Rig: 2006 Outback 27 RSDS--
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
Full time since June 2006
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Why did you not ask for the car wash to pay for the damages to your vehicle?

That's considered extra equipment on the car and signs warn you about that! Next time I'll remember!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #11
Community Moderator
 
bdickson's Avatar


 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wherever the rig is parked
Posts: 7,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
That's considered extra equipment on the car and signs warn you about that! Next time I'll remember!
Yep, I had the exact same thing happen to my CR-V. I suspect it was the rail system in the carwash and not the brushes. In any case the manager referred me to the "Not responsible for non-original equipment" sign. I just broke one sensor, and the manager changed the wheel for me so I could get to the Honda dealer. $140 for a new valve stem if I recall correctly.
__________________
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #12
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Yep, I had the exact same thing happen to my CR-V. I suspect it was the rail system in the carwash and not the brushes. In any case the manager referred me to the "Not responsible for non-original equipment" sign. I just broke one sensor, and the manager changed the wheel for me so I could get to the Honda dealer. $140 for a new valve stem if I recall correctly.

You could've warned Joe. SIGH
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Bilgerat's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: @ China Lake NAWS Ridgecrest CA. next Quartsite
Posts: 356
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Well at least that is a favorable Good Sam ERS report. Next time spring for the $10 bikini car wash.
So He Did...

AND THAT'S WHEN THE FIGHT STARTED!!!
__________________
Bilgerat: Chuck, Kassie, Freddie, Lady, Prince, Smokey, Merlin
2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36', V-10, Banks, Onan 5500, Blue Ox, 2014 Forester, SKP 130599, FT'ing 4+Yrs.
Bilgerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:17 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
jcthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
I think there's a disclaimer posted on most car washes that excludes liability for any part of any vehicle that gets knocked off or damaged. That was originally done for whip antennas, but I bet it covers everything else, too.

Not enough money in the damages to go to court or hire an attorney to write a letter.
No, what they actually say is they are not responsible for Non OEM equipment and accessories. These were factory Honda TPMS sensors we are talking about. Of course they are responsible for damage. And yes, been there and done that. They were very gracious about the damage to the steps on my truck that got hung on a roller.
__________________

__________________
38ft 2008 Damon Daybreak 3575 (forward kitchen)on Ford 22,000lb chasis, 242" WB.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RV audio - 4 ohm vs. 8 ohm speakers - car vs. home theater ScottRussell Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 7 06-30-2014 03:59 PM
Bought older car dolly vman60 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 6 05-11-2014 01:43 PM
Toad, Tow dolly, Car trailer, or enclosed? cptgregger Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 21 04-15-2014 07:50 PM
Car Jacking SonnyB RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories 2 01-17-2014 02:54 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.