Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #1

My 5th wheel mattress sucks!

Bought a new 5th wheel and the mattress is a killer. Need suggestions for a good mattress replacement or topper.
kencol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 06:33 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
I put in a Denver Mattress Supreme Euro Top short queen in our Class C this last spring and it is really good. It is softer than I like due to the pillow top, but it sleeps really well. Very good support. It isn't cheap but well worth the money.
Applepicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:41 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Bought a queen size topper from Sam's Club that's amazing! Dreamfinity 3" Cooling Memory Foam Mattress Topper for $139.00. Comes with a cover also.
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:44 PM   #4

My 5th wheel mattress sucks!

We replaced our stock mattress with an Aveeno 10" thick short queen mattress. It's 7" of foam with 3" of memory foam on top and we also put a 4" topper on top of it that has 2" of memory foam with a really cushy pillow top of another 2". Dreamland!!! Oh, and I am around 220 lbs.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:46 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Get a Sleep number or a memory foam and ditch the OEM junk.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:09 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We've put the foam toppers on our RV mattress and also one in our SB mattress.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:54 PM   #7

We originally put a 3" mattress topper on our OE mattress. It worked for awhile. Last year we replaced the mattress with a Brentwood 9" Gel Infused HD Memory Foam Mattress - 100% Made in USA. We love this mattress. It's more comfortable than the one we have in the S&B!
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:07 PM   #8

Check your current mattress dimension. If it is not a custom size, you are not limited to a"RV" mattress. There is a whole world of residential mattresses that could work just fine. We have a residential Queen and a memory foam topper. Very nice.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:31 AM   #9
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOne View Post
Check your current mattress dimension. If it is not a custom size, you are not limited to a"RV" mattress. There is a whole world of residential mattresses that could work just fine. We have a residential Queen and a memory foam topper. Very nice.
Ditto. If your RV doesn't have a special (short) RV mattress, go into any mattress shop and try them out until you find one you like. We did that several years ago. They delivered the new mattress to the RV park a couple of days later, carried it into the RV for us, and took away our old mattress.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:41 AM   #10

We bought a 10" memory foam from Costco and put our old feather topper with it. This is year 5 and it is still a good night sleep.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:13 AM   #11

We too went with a 3" memory foam topper and a first class mattress pad over that. Cannot sleep any better.

We've bought a couple of memory foam mattresses from BedInABag.com, a large mail order operation out of NE Tennessee. Their BASF foam is superior to the Chinese foam found in many other mattresses.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:22 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I don't think there is one good reply. If a normal size then your options are limitless. What is a Good mattress is highly subjective. Some love sleep number and others hate them .. Same for all other mattresses. What I like you may hate so what I have is meaningless.
Unless it just Won't fit the same thing you like at home will be what you should put in the RV ! RV manufacturers put the cheapest thing they can in.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:43 AM   #13

We just bought a queen size Lucid 14" memory foam mattress from Amazon a couple of weeks ago. The wife and I love it. Best night's sleep we've had in years.

Rob
Plasticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:55 AM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisablue85 View Post
Bought a queen size topper from Sam's Club that's amazing! Dreamfinity 3" Cooling Memory Foam Mattress Topper for $139.00. Comes with a cover also.
One other thing... If you DO go with this topper, you're going to need to air it out for 24 hours. We didn't really have a place to air it out so I set it up in the coach, opened the bedroom windows & closed the pocket door. It was a pretty strong odor, I'm guessing it's because it was wrapped tightly & totally sealed airtight. All odor was gone by the next night.
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel