Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #15
For those confused about an "as is" sale on new units:

I am not a particularly experienced buyer but from my observations, it is usually smaller dealers that do this. It's basically a way for the dealer to absolve all responsibility for the unit and put all of that on the manufacturers.

As an example, mine has a 6 year warranty from the RV mfg, 3 year warranty on the chassis, 5 year warranty on the engine, and then some of the appliances have their own warranties. The original dealer I bought it from, however, won't take responsibility at all should something happen (I'm OK with this because the RV and chassis mfg of my unit are both very reputable).

Unfortunately, it sounds like the original poster's mfg is not reputable.

Wayfarer_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What state are you in? Many states have raised their Small Claims limits. California has a Small Claims limit of $7,500.

I would get the tank fixed/replaced out-of-pocket and sue in Small Claims court for the cost of repairs.

It may have been sold "as-is", but there are consumer protection laws that you should look into.

2015 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:56 AM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Hmm - I suspect Camping World sells all of the units "as is". That would get them out of supplying any warranty for the unit they are selling, putting the warranty fully on the manufacturer.

I expect Heartland has their disclaimer in order to get them out of any responsibility for appliances, etc.

Now IMO a good dealer and manufacturer will go to bat for the customer, take care of the issues and go after the correct supplier of the component.

With the tank leaking is sounds like CW and HL are stepping away from their responsibility. Why does not CW fix it, pass the invoice on to HL who then comes to terms with whoever made the tank. Sounds like HL is dropping the ball.

Time to talk to a consumer advocate. I do not believe that an incompete manufacturer can/or should be able to step away from a warranty.

Time for Heartland to fire their warranty manager.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
"EA Williams"....Many would like to help, but you need to make more sense of what happened. Looking at your other posts, you state that you have been banned from the Heartland site for complaining. This happens if you make statements that are confusing or just don't make sense.

Did your grey tank have a crack in it....From reading all of your complaints, half of them sound like operator error. You live in snow country and it sounds like your coach may not have been winterized properly and cracked the tank. You say the bumper cap fell off. the spare tire cover fell off, the drain handle fell off, the drain cap fell off, etc. About 75% of your complaints are things that are your responsibility to look at and maintain. You said the mattress collapsed......in reading your other posts, it sounds like your 54 years and 6'7" tall. I'm 6'2" and 300 pounds and I know from 59 years of life experience, that a cheap mattress, which typically comes in a trailer, will never last under my fat butt. So many of your issues sound self inflicted.

You need to identify things that are not your fault, were not caused by operator error, and then look to have those corrected. The amount of legitimate damage you have may be under the small claims limit in your state and might be the way to go.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #19
Tiffin Owners Club
I know $20,000 dollars seems like a lot of money, but many have suffered more financially from bum RV vehicles, even new ones. One of the things most of us have learned is to do our homework before buying, and put some time into reading forums, not allowing our hearts to make the purchase.

Nor do we trust dealers comments, as most of them put selling in front of truthful advice. Go to yelp and other RV sites to leave a review of their service. Documented, of course.

I am sorry this has put such a bad experience in your life when you should be enjoying the outdoors and traveling. If you can, move on to another solution.
Dances with wolves
Linda and Bob.
2015 Allegro33aa.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:59 PM   #20
Just a comment regarding a certian corporate dealer selling as is...

Someone posted that dealers may be doing this to avoid staffing a service department or avoiding the paperwork related to getting paid for work.

So on...

So forth...

But from a manufacturers side one would assume they would only allow qualified capable services to provide warranty service so it maybe better to sell "as -is" rather than to explain why maybe they cannot provide warranty service for certian brands or items...

Neither are acceptable...
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:41 PM   #21
One day (in my dreams) a quality RV manufacturer is going to do a few things:

1. They are going to provide a single warrantee bumper to bumper. Something 3 to 5 years at least. Auto mfgs do this by having suppliers provide the warrantee through them-Chevy gets reimbursed by their suppliers for failures of the respective components, all spelled out in a supply contract.

2. They are going to have a nationwide dealer service network that is actually preauthorized to handle said warrantee work. Without any "approval process". When something breaks, they fix it. Then the dealer gets paid for the work. Period. They won't care where you purchased it. Same for providing mobile service when coach is not moveable due to failure (slide stuck out, ect). The current "wild wild west" atmosphere in the RV service world is appalling.

3. Someone is going to make quality parts for RVs. No more plastic crap that yellows in a year. Standard painted exteriors. Recessed wall mount plumbing vents and antennas to eliminate all the roof penetrations. A screwless clamp style 14 inch vent that never needs caulking.

When this happens they will own the RV market. I would happily pay 30-50% more for such a product, and they could justify 10+ year financing with a coach that will long outlast the payments. I sure hope they offer a toy hauler
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:56 PM   #22
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Lemon laws and other consumer protection laws vary by state. Few states have lemon laws that extend to RVs, and those that do generally apply only to the vehicle components and not the house part.

I think that CW is making a general disclaimer that they, as the seller, don't provide any warranty of any sort. Heartland, the manufacturer, does, however. The courts have often held that a seller cannot void the general principles of a legal sale contract on new merchandise, e.g. fitness and merchantability, simply by issuing a disclaimer. The disclaimer makes it an uphill legal battle, though.
The OP states that CW won't make any repairs that the manufacturer won't approve. That's the way it works, the manufacturer needs to approve any repairs before the repair shop does anything.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:56 AM   #23
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't think the Lemon Laws or other protections that exist for autos will apply to an RV. We're pretty much on our own $$ when it comes to repairs.
Except that CA law covers consumer goods. Other states may not be up to this standard, but I wouldn't know as I have only had to deal with it in my state. It's called the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act.

CA Civil Code: 1792; 1793.2(d)(1)

d) (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), if the manufacturer
or its representative in this state does not service or repair the
goods to conform to the applicable express warranties after a
reasonable number of attempts, the manufacturer shall either replace
the goods or reimburse the buyer in an amount equal to the purchase
price paid by the buyer, less that amount directly attributable to
use by the buyer prior to the discovery of the nonconformity.
Luna was born in 2005 and is a Winnebago Journey 34H w/ CAT C7 350
Nomad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:28 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry for your troubles! Main issue, Heartland, read lots of negative post on this forum. Number two....CW!!
Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:56 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Folks, notice that the OP has not responded since starting this thread?
2015 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:45 AM   #26
Winnebago Owners Club
Somebody wrote that RV manufacturers should warranty their units like automotive folks do. Until recently our dealers would send you to the tire store for warranty on any defects. Now the dealers have installed tire sales and will help out.

RV manufacturers would have a few more issues. Many of the components have warranties past the stated life of the RV warranty. It would be a nightmare for them to administer the warranty for each component. However I have the confidence our dealer will help us get the warranty for any of the components that they could service. Note: I would prefer to take our chassis and tires to the proper repair facility.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #27
Rexhall Owners Group

Originally Posted by EA Williams View Post
I feel compelled to share this here. I hope it helps some folks out in their research before buying an RV.

If you’re about to spend thousands of $$$ for a NEW RV, you may want to read this.
I can’t go RV’ing because my 2014 HEARTLAND Wilderness leaks grey water all over the ground. I bought it NEW from CAMPING WORLD and have made 6 attempts to get the problem fixed, 4 of those attempts resulted in repairs being made, which have all failed. Camping World (multiple locations) keeps putting a band-aid on a fracture. Camping World only does repairs that Heartland will allow/approve. I have been fighting this battle with CW and HL for over a year now and it seems I have lost.
“”As previously noted, CWRV Sales sold the RV “AS IS” and excluded from the sale all express or implied warranties, including the implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.””---David Partin, Camping World RV Sales.
“Additional components which have been installed in the recreational vehicle, including but not limited to microwave ovens, ranges, refrigerators, leveling jacks, furnaces/heaters, generators, power converters, batteries, and other items not specifically manufactured by Heartland RV, LCC, are warranted by the component manufacturers as detailed in their individual manufacturers warranties, and are not covered by this Limited Warranty”--- excerpt from my Heartland owner’s manual.
So between the two above “disclaimers” good luck getting your Camping World/Heartland RV repaired correctly under warranty. My warranty has now expired, while sitting at a Camping World location awaiting repairs, after having spent almost half its life in repair shops. Do your research, make your own decision and good luck RV’ing. Beware…Heartland makes, and Camping World sells a lot of brands.
Items that have fallen off, broken, or failed: spare tire cover, holding tank drain cap, holding tank T-handle, TV mounting screws, rear bumper end cap, oven wouldn’t stay lit, exit door threshold, stabilizer mounting screws, shore power coupling mounting screws, kitchen sink drain plumbing, bathroom sink drain plumbing, external propane coupling, water heater wiring bundle, kitchen drawer, main entry door, main entry screen door, mattress collapsed, TV cable connector, shower faucet valves(both), SHOWER DRAIN PLUMBING LEAK, slide out leak while traveling. Oh yeah, it was still winterized upon delivery and the tires weren’t even aired up.
If this sounds like sour grapes, it is, because I have a brand new, at time of purchase, $20,000 RV that I can’t use and can’t get fixed. Thanks CAMPING WORLD and HEARTLAND for putting an expensive and disheartening impediment to my retirement.

In my 54 years on this world this has been the worst buying and ownership experience of my life. But it does have it's humorous side...During this process some one from CW corp. "web response team" called me and said, "we understand you are having some issues with your Mallard. I would like to address these issues about your MALLARD". I have a Wilderness.
Unless I'm reading this wrong, you bought a barely 1 year old RV for $20,000? What in the world are you complaining about? How much was this coach new? If that's the case , I can see why there was no warranty. If it was me who bought a barely 1 year old RV for $20,000 I would not complain one little bit. So you have to spend a few thousand to get it up to snuff. You are probably WAY ahead at the end.
Mick & Vonna, 1999 Rexhall Rexair
GRUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:53 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As is statements are common in both the automobile and rv world. They are simply a formality stating that the dealer is not the one providing the warranty on the vehicle. Whether it's a Toyota or a fleetwood, all dealers at least here in illinois have the customer sign them. It in no way effects the warranty given by the manufacturer. The problem with the rv industry is that the rv manufacturer often refer the customer to the manufacturer of the component and then everything goes sideways. I read recently that one rv company was handling all warranty regardless of supplier, "in house". I can't remember what manufacturer but it would certainly be a big help. In the op's case it sounds like it's not camping world but heartland that he couldn't reach and that wouldn't return his calls. I had the same thing happen back in 2005 with gulfstream.

2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is online now   Reply With Quote