Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2015, 03:22 AM   #1

My advice for potential RV buyers.

I feel compelled to share this here. I hope it helps some folks out in their research before buying an RV.

If you’re about to spend thousands of $$$ for a NEW RV, you may want to read this.
I can’t go RV’ing because my 2014 HEARTLAND Wilderness leaks grey water all over the ground. I bought it NEW from CAMPING WORLD and have made 6 attempts to get the problem fixed, 4 of those attempts resulted in repairs being made, which have all failed. Camping World (multiple locations) keeps putting a band-aid on a fracture. Camping World only does repairs that Heartland will allow/approve. I have been fighting this battle with CW and HL for over a year now and it seems I have lost.
“”As previously noted, CWRV Sales sold the RV “AS IS” and excluded from the sale all express or implied warranties, including the implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.””---David Partin, Camping World RV Sales.
“Additional components which have been installed in the recreational vehicle, including but not limited to microwave ovens, ranges, refrigerators, leveling jacks, furnaces/heaters, generators, power converters, batteries, and other items not specifically manufactured by Heartland RV, LCC, are warranted by the component manufacturers as detailed in their individual manufacturers warranties, and are not covered by this Limited Warranty”--- excerpt from my Heartland owner’s manual.
So between the two above “disclaimers” good luck getting your Camping World/Heartland RV repaired correctly under warranty. My warranty has now expired, while sitting at a Camping World location awaiting repairs, after having spent almost half its life in repair shops. Do your research, make your own decision and good luck RV’ing. Beware…Heartland makes, and Camping World sells a lot of brands.
Items that have fallen off, broken, or failed: spare tire cover, holding tank drain cap, holding tank T-handle, TV mounting screws, rear bumper end cap, oven wouldn’t stay lit, exit door threshold, stabilizer mounting screws, shore power coupling mounting screws, kitchen sink drain plumbing, bathroom sink drain plumbing, external propane coupling, water heater wiring bundle, kitchen drawer, main entry door, main entry screen door, mattress collapsed, TV cable connector, shower faucet valves(both), SHOWER DRAIN PLUMBING LEAK, slide out leak while traveling. Oh yeah, it was still winterized upon delivery and the tires weren’t even aired up.
If this sounds like sour grapes, it is, because I have a brand new, at time of purchase, $20,000 RV that I can’t use and can’t get fixed. Thanks CAMPING WORLD and HEARTLAND for putting an expensive and disheartening impediment to my retirement.

In my 54 years on this world this has been the worst buying and ownership experience of my life. But it does have it's humorous side...During this process some one from CW corp. "web response team" called me and said, "we understand you are having some issues with your Mallard. I would like to address these issues about your MALLARD". I have a Wilderness.
EA Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2015, 03:48 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Hire a lawyer. You have rights and do not listen to CW to tell you what those are!

There are a number of Federal and State laws protecting you with warranty repairs. In many states there are Lemon Laws that take effect after three failed repairs on the same item. Also, your warranty is extended by the same amount of time it is out for repair. And it continues to be under warranty as long as they fail to fix it properly.

Fight them, or lose your rights.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:17 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sad, another case of buyer beware:

EA brings up excellent points that I've read about hundreds of times. In almost every case, if the buyer had experience or knowledge regarding the purchase agreement and the vehicle, they could have avoided misunderstandings by getting clarification.

The buyer simply didn't do their due diligence and didn't ask the questions that could have clarified the issues.

Who's fault is it if the buyer doesn't know what questions to ask??

It appears that CW sold this vehicle AS-IS with no warranty. The only recourse I could see with CW would be if they clearly misrepresented the vehicle in some way. It may be hard to go down the "misrepresentation" path when CW represented the vehicle AS-IS, with no warranty, etc, etc, etc.

WARNING - When you see the AS-IS sticker, thats a warning sign that once you sign the contract, you own it. PERIOD.

If buying a brand new vehicle with an AS-IS sticker that says no warranty, I would recommend the buyer ask these questions prior to purchase.

1) "When something goes wrong, how do we go about fixing it?"

CW probably would have replied "Don't Know"

2) "Does the Warranty clock continue to tick while the vehicle is sitting in the shop?

3) " What accommodations / concession will be provided to reimburse me for lose of use while the vehicle is in the shop. i.e. will you provide me with a loaner?

In this case, its time to go somewhere else.

RECOMMENDATION TO EA:

Make a couple phone calls to the department heads of sales / warranty/ manufacturing/ CEO;

One to CW and one to the manufacture.

Explain to CW that this looks very bad on their reputation taking advantage of someone and it really is in their best interest to fix this TT.

Make sure you get the name of the people you are talking to. Takes some notes as to what was said - DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. Follow this up with letters (return receipt requested)

Calmly, but firmly explain this situation is "Totally Unacceptable".

Explain what they need to do to make this situation acceptable.
i.e. a new vehicle, repairs to the vehicle to your standards , reset the warranty clock to zero. etc.

Give them a deadline for response - i.e. 2 weeks. Explain after the deadline you will be pursuit other courses of actions to resolve the problems. i.e.

"Its my hope we can reach an agreement on how you are going to solve this problem. I will need to hear back from you withing the next 14 days. If you are not able to solve your problem, I will need to pursuit other solutions."

Make sure everything is in writing.

If they fail to resolve, take the vehicle t somewhere and pay to have it fixed to your satisfaction.

Don't waste your time with a lawyer, They work on 1/3 commission. Unless they can make a few thousand on this deal, they won't touch it.

Instead, pay a visit to your local Small Claims court. There is normally a limit (i.e. $2k) that can be addressed inside this court.

If you really want to create havoc (which it usually isn't worth the cost) start a web site and facebook page. i.e. www.CWsucks.com or www.HeartlandTTsucks.com.

Post photos, letters, invoices, etc. Keep it honest. do not exaggerate. You may get an offer from an attorney for several thousand dollars to purchase the site, but only if you sign a document that all your claims with Heartland are null and void and you will restrain from any further discussion.

GOOD LUCK - Again I hate when I see these types of articles.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:36 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
So when I read the post I presumed that CW was telling you it was AS-IS but now that I have read it again, your not disputing that?

How do you buy a new vehicle AS-IS? You also state "My warranty has now expired" - what warranty was there on an AS-IS sale?

What I posted above applies to vehicles sold with warranties, which new vehicles usually are.

So was this a new-to-you but a used 2014?
Old 09-14-2015, 04:37 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm confused.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:59 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you buy it new or used?

I am also confused, how can it be sold AS-IS and have a warranty?
Brianb131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:17 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
This may sound a bit bizarre, but use CW's process against them. They have a consumer advocate problem resolution section in the RV magazine where they take care of problem issues their members are having. Why don't you submit your case, but in your original write up omit the name of the dealer who did you wrong.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:47 AM   #8

Add me to the list of the confused. Why was this an as-is sale?
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
This may sound a bit bizarre, but use CW's process against them. They have a consumer advocate problem resolution section in the RV magazine where they take care of problem issues their members are having. Why don't you submit your case, but in your original write up omit the name of the dealer who did you wrong.
Good luck with that. They pick and choose what they accept for publication.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:04 AM   #10

If he bought it "as is" he was probably told there was no warranty to expire. There probably were no "don't know" answers about the warranty. A new unit with no warranty is a clear indication that the unit has been around and has a history. The price was probably quite nice. Some folks buy deals like that because they can fix the kind of problems encountered. Some think they will get the deal and there will be no problems. It sounds like the OP made the mistake of thinking he was screwing CW with the great price now he has a laundry list that leaves me wondering how the unit could be so bad. On a new unit with no warranty he could have purchased a third party warranty for a couple thousand. It would have been money well spent.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:26 AM   #11

Call the consumer affairs department in your state.

In most states the warranty clock stops when item is out of use for a warranty covered item.

Further the warranty clock does not start for the item failed under warranty until it is repaired to satisfaction of customer if complaint during warranty period.

Legality of status of warranty regarding as - is claims sounds odd so call your state office asap.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:55 AM   #12

Have you talked to Heartland's customer service department directly? If your original dealer won't properly fix your trailer, can they get you to another dealership that will fix it?

Many RV manufacturers will authorize repairs by an outside RV repair shop or mobile RV repairman in some circumstances. And many manufacturers have their own shops in Northern Indiana where they'll rework RV's to their specs.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:33 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
Hire a lawyer. You have rights and do not listen to CW to tell you what those are!

There are a number of Federal and State laws protecting you with warranty repairs. In many states there are Lemon Laws that take effect after three failed repairs on the same item. Also, your warranty is extended by the same amount of time it is out for repair. And it continues to be under warranty as long as they fail to fix it properly.

Fight them, or lose your rights.
I could be wrong, but I don't think the Lemon Laws or other protections that exist for autos will apply to an RV. We're pretty much on our own $$ when it comes to repairs.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:44 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Lemon laws and other consumer protection laws vary by state. Few states have lemon laws that extend to RVs, and those that do generally apply only to the vehicle components and not the house part.

I think that CW is making a general disclaimer that they, as the seller, don't provide any warranty of any sort. Heartland, the manufacturer, does, however. The courts have often held that a seller cannot void the general principles of a legal sale contract on new merchandise, e.g. fitness and merchantability, simply by issuing a disclaimer. The disclaimer makes it an uphill legal battle, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice