Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2014, 09:06 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
. At least she would not be rolling to the middle . ...but I suppose rolling to the outside and then right on out of bed would make her happy either!

Flip the mattress and it will fill back in with in a week or so. We were told when we bought our Sterns & Foster Mattresses to flip it every 6 months. They are going on 15 years and still like New. Try it you might be surprised.
JS, Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #16

Joe. I would try to put a couple of legs with adjusting casters under the Base. Screw the on so they don't fall everytime you raise the bed or if the weight changes. Granted it may make the edges raise up, but I'm sure your weight will overcome this. The adjustable caster makes it easier to make small adjustments in the future.
Getting a new MH with a flat bed is my second choice.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:40 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don't forget - if you have storage under the bed, you are adding weight with the additional plywood. Your gas struts may not hold the bed up any more when you lift it, specially if they are also 12 years old...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:02 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
I reinforced my bed with 1.5" x 1.5" x 0.25" aluminum angle. It weighed 17#, so I replaced the 80# gas cylinders with 100# cylinders. Here is the bed before I reinstalled it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bed_small.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	59544  
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:16 AM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You guys have given me some great feedback to munch on! Right now I'm leaning toward bolting the angle iron to the bottom of the support. By using big washers so the heads don't pull into the wood, I might be able to pull the support back to flat. Thanks, guys, you're the best!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
You guys have given me some great feedback to munch on! Right now I'm leaning toward bolting the angle iron to the bottom of the support. By using big washers so the heads don't pull into the wood, I might be able to pull the support back to flat. Thanks, guys, you're the best!
Depending how bad the bow is you might not want to try to straighten all at once. You can put the support on and make sure the center is tight to the wood. Then place bolts every 6 inches or so toward the sides. Then tighten from the center outwards pulling some of the bow out. Wait a few days tighten some more and repeat until the platform is straight. This might take a month to completely fix but would prevent over stressing the wood and cracking it.

Mike
Old 03-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelcan View Post
Depending how bad the bow is you might not want to try to straighten all at once. You can put the support on and make sure the center is tight to the wood. Then place bolts every 6 inches or so toward the sides. Then tighten from the center outwards pulling some of the bow out. Wait a few days tighten some more and repeat until the platform is straight. This might take a month to completely fix but would prevent over stressing the wood and cracking it.

Mike
Thanks Mike, I appreciate you comments! I was planning to just put one bolt at each end of the angle, but you're right, I may not try to pull all the sag out at one time.

One machine shop here quoted me $120 for three pieces of 2" aluminum angle, with him cutting 3" off one side at each end so the metal will lay on top of the frame. That sounds awfully expensive so I'm looking for other sources.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Joe, I think your first idea, of putting angle iron under the bed is a good choice. Two pieces, 1 1/2" angle, across the bed by thirds should do it. I suggest you through bolt it to pull the platform flat again. If you think their is still a bow, you could put wedges or spacers under the cross brace to level it up.
I second that. Or wood slats underneath the plywood.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:20 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
Mine did that and I took the platform loose and turned it over. Just like new but you have to do a little hardware work
But I would also add a support leg in the middle of the bed.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:10 AM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I got two pieces of 2x2x1/4 steel angle to bolt across the support to pull it back down. Haven't installed it yet.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:23 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had the same problem with our old gulf stream. I laid a piece of 3/4" plywood on top of the old base. It was a temporary fix. I solved it by trading it in as everything else on that thing was sagging as well!
Old 04-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #26
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Problem solved! I bolted the 2x2x1/4 steel angle to the bottom of the bed support with two 1/4" x 2" stove bolts on each end. I had the machine shop cut out 3 1/2" at each end on one side of the angle so it would not hit the frame when it lowers. It pulled the support back flat without any problem!

Old 04-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #27

I have this issue as well.
I thought about the angled aluminum, but I think I'll go with a single 12" long piece of 2X4 right in the center.
Lot less work to put in.

Jim
Old 04-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
I have this issue as well.
I thought about the angled aluminum, but I think I'll go with a single 12" long piece of 2X4 right in the center.
Lot less work to put in.

Jim
Not sure how a 12 inch piece of lumber is going to end sagging panel that probably spans 5 feet wide bed. (queen size) Joe's solution worked, why mess with success?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote