Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
My Class A Outfitters List - Did I miss Anything?

I have compiled a list of initial stuff for my new to me class A over at amazon.com, and I was just curious to run this list past a few pro's and see if I missed anything.

So here goes.
  • 2014 Deluxe Motor Carriers' Road Atlas (DMCRA) - Laminated (Rand Mcnally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas Deluxe Edition) (Rand McNally Deluxe Motor Carriers' Road Atlas)
  • Camco 39847 RhinoFLEX Clear 45 Degree RV Sewer Hose Swivel Fitting
  • Camco 39761 RhinoFLEX 15' RV Sewer Hose Kit with Swivel Fittings
  • Camco 43041 RV 15' Sidewinder Plastic Sewer Hose Support
  • Camco 44412 RV Wheel Chock
  • Garmin Dezl 760LMT 7-Inch Bluetooth Trucking GPS with Lifetime Maps & Traffic
  • Camco 55185 RV Powergrip 30M/50F AMP 18" Dogbone Electrical Adapter with Handles 3750W/125V
  • Valterra A01-1117VP Brass Lead-Free Adjustable Water Regulator
  • Camco 22823 Premium Drinking Water Hose (5/8"ID x 10' ) x1
  • Camco 22833 Premium Drinking Water Hose (5/8"ID x 25') x2
  • Progressive Industries EMSHW50C Surge Protector
  • AAA 4342AAA Emergency Warning Triangle x3
  • Neiko High Visibility Neon Yellow Zipper Front Safety Vest with Reflective Strips - Meets ANSI/ISEA Standards, Size Large
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't know how long your power cord is but a 15-20ft extension comes in handy from time to time. Few other important items are replacement fuses (they seem to blow at inopportune times), a multimeter (hope you never need it but electrical gremlins are not uncommon), and a roll of eternabond tape (for repair of the occasional roof leak), and of course a tire pressure gage. Among Among many other things I also carry a jug of antifreeze, couple qts of oil and trans fluid, and a bottle of brake fluid. You can find lists elsewhere on this site. Congrats on the rig.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #3

A minor consideration: I bought the clear 45 degree swivel connector thinking the 45 degree angle would be more adaptable. After using it for a while, in my situation, a straight one would be better. I do indeed like having the clear section though.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A couple of items I find useful:
  • 3-4' potable water hose (sometimes you just need a little bit or a little bit more)
  • Extra hose washers
  • Several good flashlights (I love these and they're cheap enough to stock several in strategic places)
  • Extra hose clamps
  • Extra fuses of every type you've got
  • Extra bits and pieces (you'll collect some through the years)
  • A good multimeter
  • A collection of greasers and degreasers (Boeshield, AeroKroil, Super Clean, etc.)
  • I bought assortments of cotter, shear, and hitch pins that I'll never go through but I've often been glad I had them
  • Tons of zip ties (best value I've found are at Home Depot; get good ones that will last longer)
  • Bucket(s)

Just off the top of my head...
lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #5

In reviewing your list, I think a couple of comments are in order:

1. You are opting for truck atlases. Truck atlases are different than those used generally by RVers because trucks are commercial vehicles and RVs are considered private autos in most cases. There is a difference in the information in the atlases due to this.

2. I do not believe in surge protectors (in 25 years of RVing I have never met anyone who lost electronics due to a surge.) In most cases, the surge protector cost more than any electrical device that might be damaged. In my way of thinking, a voltage booster would be more appropriate in that very, very often, especially in older parks, voltage drops to very low levels. This could actually damage electrical equipment, and at the least, low voltage can certainly trip circuit breakers because amperage draw increases when voltage lowers. In many cases a booster will also protect against surges.

3. The Garmin GPS for trucks is brand new on the market. I use a Rand McNally RV GPS and other of my friends use a Magellan RV GPS which have both been around awhile (and are cheaper!) Also your choice of a trucker's GPS may limit you on the amount of useful information available in an RV GPS. Remember that RVs can go to places that trucks cannot go. This would be reflected in a truck GPS vs. RV GPS.

4. You may want more electrical adapters. I find often that I need 50 to 30 and 30 to 15, depending on the age of the park and whether I am parked in front of someone's house (or even in my own driveway.)

5. An abbreviated set of hand tools can be useful.

Good luck.
ebksafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #6

Look at what is in your SB and garage, take out the 'kitchen sink' and go from there. For us it depends on where/when we are going any place. Vacation to the 'lower 48' is one list, weekend camping/4 wheel riding another and hunting is another. One list does not make it.
Do not forget tools, both metric/standard, coverage all or something to wear while working on the MH. It is also nice to have something to lay on the ground for when you need to work on the bottom side.
Keep track of what you have and do not use and adjust you list from there.
Have fun and enjoy your adventures!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We buy our trucker's atlas's at the truck stops. Usually better quality and better prices there. I also have an app on the phone - My DAT Trucker Services (free) - that lets me know where the truck stops, rest areas and other things are on our route.

We got a hard wired surge protector and installed it. We left one RV park because the electric was going haywire. We stopped by a month later to see some people that we had met while there and found out that someone had moved into our spot the same day we moved out and with the electric problems lost an AC and that was during the height of summer.

We had talked about getting the Garmin DEZL 560 a few years ago but then they came out with the Garmin DEZL 760 and we got that one instead. While RVers maybe able to use some of the roads that truckers cannot that is not always the case. I would rather be informed if there were weight restrictions and stuff.

We have way more tools then most because Thom uses them not only for working on the RV but also for work. We also picked up some boxes that Stanley makes that we put all the little fuses, other electrical stuff and screws and other little things.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #8

We carry a Watts Whole Hose Water Pressure Regulator and remove any regulator in the coach. Others have mentioned the fluids to service the engine, but add cleaning supplies for the exterior and a long handle with brush. You may want and exterior windshield sun screen, depends on what type of sun shades you have inside. Even if you have leveling jacks, various size wooden blocks to place under tires (front only) and under the jacks. Many times the ground is too soft and jacks will sink into the ground. Add a 10 foot male/female extension sewer hose, 15 foot many times will not be enough.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Oh, you may want a wet/dry vac ......... or at least the small version that you can use with a 5 gallon bucket.

Got home from the play on Saturday night about 1am (yes went out for a drink with others from the play) and found the ice machine had unfrozen. Very wet carpet. Got what we could up with towels until first thing in the morning and then borrowed one from the guy across the street. Had another show Sunday and finally got to get one for ourselves.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I have compiled a list of initial stuff for my new to me class A over at amazon.com, and I was just curious to run this list past a few pro's and see if I missed anything.

So here goes.
  • 2014 Deluxe Motor Carriers' Road Atlas (DMCRA) - Laminated (Rand Mcnally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas Deluxe Edition) (Rand McNally Deluxe Motor Carriers' Road Atlas) Haven't used a paper map in years, Microsoft Streets & Trips for maps, Rand McNally GPS has lots of RV specific info.
  • Camco 39847 RhinoFLEX Clear 45 Degree RV Sewer Hose Swivel Fitting
  • Camco 39761 RhinoFLEX 15' RV Sewer Hose Kit with Swivel Fittings
  • Camco 43041 RV 15' Sidewinder Plastic Sewer Hose Support
  • Camco 44412 RV Wheel Chock Why? Never used, if brakes are set and wheels are on the ground. Stacking blocks are needed more often.
  • Garmin Dezl 760LMT 7-Inch Bluetooth Trucking GPS with Lifetime Maps & Traffic
  • Camco 55185 RV Powergrip 30M/50F AMP 18" Dogbone Electrical Adapter with Handles 3750W/125V Like others have mentioned, adapters down to household 110V sockets.
  • Valterra A01-1117VP Brass Lead-Free Adjustable Water Regulator I prefer a high flow adapter restricting pressure to 50-55 psi.
  • Camco 22823 Premium Drinking Water Hose (5/8"ID x 10' ) x1
  • Camco 22833 Premium Drinking Water Hose (5/8"ID x 25') x2
  • Progressive Industries EMSHW50C Surge Protector
  • AAA 4342AAA Emergency Warning Triangle x3
  • Neiko High Visibility Neon Yellow Zipper Front Safety Vest with Reflective Strips - Meets ANSI/ISEA Standards, Size Large
Additionally, Tire pressure monitoring system, air hoses for tires(presume you have on-board source) if not pump capable of airing to your pressures, battery watering equipment, and too many small items to mention. I have a 9 page checklist just to jog my old memory.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #11

Women's list:
Flashlights...for navigating in the dark
Mat for under awning
Comfortable folding chairs
Small table for cooking outside
Bucket... we have the collapsible one from camping world
Broom
Waste can for outside... we have a collapsible one with a zipper
*Box of disposable gloves....for use when emptying the sewer

The list can go on and on...but this this will get you off to a good start.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
The thread #5 above, the Gentleman expressed his thoughts about the Surge Protectors he stated that he did not believe in them and that he has never heard of anyone being protected by one.
Well, at one of our R.V. outing a member told us that on a trip where they stayed they went out for a ride in their toe car and when they came back the camp master told then that they had a Elect. spike and that he should check his rig as soon as possible when he got back to his Rig. he found out that his elect. appliances were all burned up.
Now that bit of information cause me to have a Surge Protector installed in my Elect. Bay.
I always have had Insurance to protect my M.H. in case I have an accident.
I feel as a lot of other people do, you can not be too safe.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
Women's list:
Flashlights...for navigating in the dark
Mat for under awning
Comfortable folding chairs
Small table for cooking outside
Bucket... we have the collapsible one from camping world
Broom
Waste can for outside... we have a collapsible one with a zipper
*Box of disposable gloves....for use when emptying the sewer

The list can go on and on...but this this will get you off to a good start.
Wife says YES YES YES
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Another woman's input...
Stash of books you have been waiting to read
Your favorite coffee

Here's to new memories!!

Tags