Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #15
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Started out in tents. The inlaws, before we were married, had a nimrod popup and that is my experience before I bought my own first trailer - a Jayco popup! I loved that thing. Easy to move around and popup, had enough room for us, and had a built in heater. Had that thing on a mountain near New Philadelphia one winter and it was -10 and somehow we were still warm (had to put the kegs in the fire to keep them from freezing). Great times. Started pulling it with a '74 Gremlin, green, and the trailer matched pretty well. Ended up getting a Chevy van during the year and that popup went all over with us.

Al & Ellen
No longer 'New To Us' 1999 HR Vacationer

Hanging on for the ride!
ukpajf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2015, 04:46 PM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As a kid, Dad had a fold out tent camper. Homemade but similar to what Sears and Wards sold. On my own, Tent sleeping bags and wife on the Norton 750 Commando. Then kids, truck camper. And on and on to todays oldy but goody. Just waiting for coach to be old enough to join vintage campers.

"96" HR Navigator, 38' no slides, Cummins, Allison
next stop
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #17
1970 South Park....not the TV show....bought it at a garage sale

poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:32 PM   #18
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Apache PUP
Scamp (13footer)
Class A (38')
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:41 PM   #19
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you count the Boy Scouts, a 2 person overnighter tent, I guess you can call if an RV, a 1996 Dodge long wheel base work van, it had a bed in the back across the wheel wells with a 4" foam pad, shag carpet, and a stereo you could a mile away. mag wheels and wide tires, those were the days
Rick & Robin with ( Schaffer & Bella in memory)(springers) from S/E PA
1996 Adventurer, f53
RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #20
Appalachian Campers
35 years ago my parents had a pop up, then I started tenting in the late 90's, in 2002 I bought a Springdale 28' TT, now I've got my Sierra 346RETS fifth wheel.

Who knows what's on the horizon?
2001 HO Cummins powered Dodge 2500
2014 Sierra 346RETS
Nights camped in 2014-28
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:15 PM   #21
First was a camper shell on a 75 1/2 ton Ford pickup. Then a 72 21 foot Road Runner travel trailer. Then we made the big time with a 1981 36 foot long Avion 3 axle trailer. At the time, I thought that would be our retirement trailer. But. life happened and we sold it. Now, with a 2007 Montana Mountaineer 5th wheel, we are full time and loving it.
Jim and Darlene Wright
plus Ryder, the Ethiopian
monkeybeaver dog
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:00 PM   #22
VW Westfallia ( forgot how it was spelled ). Took our little kids all over colorado. No trip plans just ended up where ever. Got into some pretty hairy situations with it. Man that thing could climb believe it or not. Went up a huge mountain once came back down on the other side and it had rained. The road turned to clay, our bald tires just slid toward the edge. Kids started crying, so did I, (not really). Had to get out and scrape mud clay off the tires, moved about three feet a scrape. I could go on and on.
Went to a Coleman pop up, great pop up. Now we have a 16 ft traler, nothing fancy, but we like it.
VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:28 AM   #23
A new 1976 23 ft. GMC Mini Motorhome, but a leftover bought in January 1977 for $11,000. This was really just a Midas Mini with different tape stripes, but GM offered it as a lower cost alternative to the big front wheel drive class A GM motorhome. We bought it from a dealer in Michigan, drove home to Kentucky, and left it parked during a long spell of snow.

I still think of the feeling of adventure when we did winter camping in Michigan to ski, setting off for Yellowstone and the Canadian Rockies, and camping in Colorado to ski at Vail. We drove it 97,000 miles, and loved every minute. Next was a 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, a new 1995 Safari Trek, then the current Trek in 2009.
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:35 AM   #24
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Your post brought back memories. I also started by placing blankets over the kitchen chairs and dreaming of places to go. Camping with the family as a kid consisted of the chevy2 stationwagon. The boys slept outside on the ground and the girls slept on the seats in the car. We were too pour for tents but had a great time. My parents later converted an old state rig by building a bed in back. No other amenities though. The first purchase my hubby and I made when my kids were little was a tent trailer. You had to hand crank out each side. We had lots of good memories in that one. Then after my kids were out of the house we bought a mini MH with a toyota chassis but it was a 4 banger and so we couldn't pull anything with it. You had to climb on the couch to get into the bed. We traveled and geocached all over the NW - Idaho, Washington and Oregon. We just brought home our new baby - 2015 Blackstone.
Deb & Dale--RVM107--2015 Blackstone 280 RKSB

Happiness isn't the destination but the journey along the way!
geocacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #25
Freightliner Owners Club

We started out in the 80's with a used Scotty travel trailer, pulled by our new Tierra custom van with a Chevy 350. Turned out to be a good combination. From Pensacola, traveled to Las Vegas, Fallon NV, Lake Tahoe, and the Grand Canyon. As well as up & down the East Coast, Hatteras, Cherokee NC, Daytona- etc. Used it for several years for dog shows and just traveling.
We did start out tent camping with the motorcycle in the 70's, but the TT was really the first RV.
Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:27 PM   #26
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
1996 Jayco Eagle 28' 6". Ford E-350 chassis, 460 V-8.

Great 1st coach. Bought used kept for 3 years and sold it for what we paid. Huge upgrade from the tent especially for the wife and daughter. Used to sleep 5 kids in the overhead bunk lying cross-ways with their feet hanging over.

Great memories!!
Palm Springs, CA - 2005 National Tropi Cal 370LX on a Freightliner, Cat 350 power. Towing a Rinker R1 - Lake Havasu Bound!!
homecan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:40 PM   #27
Our first was a 1978 Jayco Class C 24 ft. purchased in 1984.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #28
1994 34ft itasca suncruiser purchased in 1998.

2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote