Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
There is no minimum fuel purchase at the truck lanes.
Truck lanes have a larger fuel nozzle that has a significant larger flow.
I have never had a trucker be rude or question me in the truck lanes. Most are always friendly.
You may have to go inside to prepay or authorize the pump. Some truckers have to also, so that is not a problem.
Only rule is, as soon as you are done fueling, pull forward so the truck behind you can get on the pump.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #16

I know FJ created their own financial problem with a futile attempt at hedging but I have lost all confidence in FJ....never had any in Pilot. Unfortunately, Pilot is dictating FJ's fuel pricing and other policies. These two, coupled with Love's should be a real feather in someone's cap at the USG anti trust group!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
1. Is there a minimum amount of fuel a person should take on at a truck lane? (I'm sure it would not be a good idea to make a "professional trucker" wait if I was only taking on a few gallons.)
No minimum. Though I usually take on 100+ gallons, I've topped off with as little as 30

Quote:
2. Do they have a pay at the pump similar to most gas stations?
They used to with the RV card, but no more. Pilot/FJ says they expect to have it back again by Jan 1, but the terms of use haven't been made clear yet.

Quote:
3. Are the nozzles the same or a larger version to pump out more fuel faster?
They are the large (high volume) nozzles.

Quote:
4. Are some lanes restricted solely for trucks?
No. If you can use the high volume nozzles, you can use those lanes.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to PJGMG
HI..Having read thru all the posts, I now have a better feel with what is going on with FJ/Pilot... When I was I believe in Alabama I stopped at PILOT, they were extremely nice and I was in the TRUCKERS lane.. The person at the counter told me it would be 6 cents cheaper if I pulled into the so called RV lanes. I looked out at them and said no I would pay the premium price $3.11 instead of $3.05...

Why because when I looked out at the RV pumps, it was not safe in my book 40 ft plus a toad.. NOT GOOD..

Now the good news, the place was immaculate, if I had time I would have taken a shower shaved off my 4 day beard.. But Had a deadline to get to VICKSBURG, MS. Ameristar RV Park

Anyway thanks for all the good info.. What is the Story with LOVES ???

Rgds,
Peter
Old 11-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As unhappy as I currently am with FJ, I think that the alternatives are worse. We've been fortunate to find a few Love's places where we could actually get into the non-truck islands without blocking everything. That wasn't so on our last trip. Love's was quite a few cents cheaper but getting in and out is a real hassle. I've never been treated as badly as we were at the Pilot truck lanes. TA's pricing on diesel isn't worth considering and we can only use the truck islands there, too.

I'm hoping that someone at FJ comes to their senses and gets this mess straightened out in 2011.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #20

Folks, Flying J is dead. It has been dead for over 6 months; it just wasn't obvious to everyone else. They worked for years at undercutting all their competition and tried to offset it with reduced services in their stores and restaurants. In the end, they seriously damaged TA and Petro, and managed to commit suicide.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:12 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
No offense to everyone, but the more I read these threads about Flying J and Pilot, the happier I am that I'm tiny by comparison to most of the posters in this thread and that I can just pull into auto lanes and fuel up. Any station works for me so long as they have RUG and I like the price.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After coming back from a 2 1/2 month 7,700 mile trip, I can tell you that when it comes to fuel prices, FJ is now as overpriced as Pilot. Even with the FJ card that gets you 3 cents off per gallon they are way out of the ballpark. I have even tried Pacific Pride, but they too can not compete. Just go on the internet and go to MSN Gas prices and you will find all of the cheap fuel stops along your route. For example, In Tuscon an independent was 30 cents a gallon cheaper than FJ.
Adios FJ
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to PJGMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
After coming back from a 2 1/2 month 7,700 mile trip, I can tell you that when it comes to fuel prices, FJ is now as overpriced as Pilot. Even with the FJ card that gets you 3 cents off per gallon they are way out of the ballpark. I have even tried Pacific Pride, but they too can not compete. Just go on the internet and go to MSN Gas prices and you will find all of the cheap fuel stops along your route. For example, In Tuscon an independent was 30 cents a gallon cheaper than FJ.
Adios FJ
Chuck I agree they are overpriced.. The PROBLEM I have is finding a GAS station that has a LARGE enough area for my 40ft RV w/TOAD.. Otherwise I'm all for saving $$$$..

On my way to CA via 20-10-15 or 8.. So I will do my homework and
CHA CHING..

Have a great holiday.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On my way to CA via 20-10-15 or 8.. So I will do my homework and
CHA CHING..

Have a great holiday.[/QUOTE]

My MH is only 34ft with a Toad so it is a bit easier to get in and out of tighter places
I just back home to California from your part of the country. We stayed down on 10. It was getting a bit cold farther north.
Have a safe trip.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #25
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
The letter referred to in post #1 arrived yesterday, their card has been cut up and is in the trash. Good riddance to a loser.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Adios FJ
I used to use the FJ in Bakersfield every weekend traveling between stick house and RV. Since Pilot took them over no more. They are way overpriced on everything now. I have found a few locally owned stations I now use that under cuts FJ by as much as .25 a gallon for diesel. And get a better meal that is 1/2 the cost of them.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote