Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #29

Quote:
so it is quite valid to express concern that the OP is refusing to accept an objective analysis of the problem and bagging a company and their products without good reason.
Mr. Tony Lee,

I have better things to do in life than "to bag on a company" for an unjustified reason. I have a wife, two kids and more than one business, so for me to take the time out to express my concerns of customer servive on a quality control issue, that takes a lot for me to step away from my daily routine.

If I recall correctly the tread depth is 13/16ths and 14/16ths. The depth of the cracks are well inexcess of 1/16 and approaching an 1/8th. I was also told by the dealer (Dave Stern INc.) that they really need to be to the cord sidewall for it to be an issue. Physically seeing the cord sidewall.

I am upset that I choose Dave Stern Inc. to do the inspection and relay the information to Michelin. It appears thier forte is to deal with fleet and much of what was there that day was garbage trucks with tires that had absolutely no tread left or treads torn off. Thier perception of a bad tire is not my perception of a bad tire. When they asked how old my tires where and I told them three and a half years, they paused as if they knew it was problematic, but continued to express to Michelin that it was just checking.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #30

P.S. Sorry if I didn't mention that I have been, and I am still in the automotive industry "repair", "manufacturing" and "sales" for over 30 years. Certified NASA technician for GM, Ford and Toyota.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Here is a photo of my Goodyear Assurance tires on my toad. They are exactly 2 years old and have done exactly 10,000 Miles. According to the experts, this is called dry rot.

They were bought at Pep Boys, and after a bit of a discussion they agreed to replace them, after I agreed to pay a prorated premium for the wear (very reasonable I thought). Pep Boys no longer supply this tire so tomorrow I go there to have new Hankook Optima H727 tires fitted.

My point is this: It would appear that it is not just Michelin tires that develops dry rot.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #32

Quote:
need to get someone not associated with Michelin to check the tires.
Michelin will not speak with anyone other than an authorized dealer and that authorized dealer needs to be on thier list.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #33

Quote:
My point is this: It would appear that it is not just Michelin tires that develops dry rot.
Understood, but please remember we are not discussing car tires here that might cost around 140-180 bucks a tire. We are discussing six 800.00 tires that have 3.5 years on them and under 10K miles.

The tire cover question.

Over the period of those 3.5 years, I would say that I used the covers 20 percent of the time when it was parked. The tire pressure checked by Dave Stern Inc. was in the acceptable run area and not over inflated nor under inflated, as per them.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
I have 245/70 R 19.5 Toyo 143M, LRH Tires on our motorhome. They are a little over 3 years old, and no cracks. They are made in Japan, and were a little more than 1/2 the cost of the Michelins that were replaced for excessive sidewall cracking. So far, I am well pleased with them. The ride is a bit firmer due to stiffer sidewalls, but not offensive to me at all. I too am through with Michelins, in my opinion, they are way over rated, and over priced too.
I have a year on the same tires. I just read them and if I read it right, they are 5 ply rating. Is that possible?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I have a year on the same tires. I just read them and if I read it right, they are 5 ply rating. Is that possible?

There's a big difference between the ply RATING, and what plies the tire actually has...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #36

I couldn't find a ply rating on them like I can on my truck tires. I remember DT saying something about 10 or 12 ply.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #37

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know my Load Range F are 12 Ply, Range G are 14 Ply and Range H are 16 Ply.

Also, the higher you go the stiffer the ride for sure. FW says to replace mine with Load Range F for driveability and ride and that what I'm gonna do. I see a lot of truck tires out there that are my size, but not my load range. :(
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
It is unbelievable that RV owners continue to buy Michelin RV/Truck tires that has O days warranty for cracks in the sidewalls.

Then complain on forums about having cracks on the Michelin sidewalls.

When Good Year RV/Truck tires has a 7 year warranty for cracks.
No Michelin's ever again on my MH, since the two zipper blow outs.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
It is unbelievable that RV owners continue to buy Michelin RV/Truck tires that has O days warranty for cracks in the sidewalls.

Then complain on forums about having cracks on the Michelin sidewalls.

When Good Year RV/Truck tires has a 7 year warranty for cracks.
No Michelin's ever again on my MH, since the two zipper blow outs.
Goodyears dont weathercheck but blow out for no reason.
Michelins weathercheck and zipper fail but are good for 10yrs according to their literature.

Sounds like both manufacturers got 1/2 the recipe right.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #40

Thanks Kent. Good to know I have 16 ply rating.

I won't even buy Michelin wiper blades... for any of my vehicles.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #41

This is my first set of Michelin tires. If I would have known in advance about the way Michelin handles situations such as this one, I would have choosen a different brand.

Look, it's not about the problem, it's about how this corporate company Michelin is handling it at this time. You either support "within reason" as a manufacture and take care of your customers or your stonewall them and turn a blind eye when issues arise with hopes that they will lay down like the majority. Maybe I am just speaking with the wrong people, but the ones I have talked to (2 of them) have a combined total years with Michelin that exceeds 55 years.

I would be more than happy to have further dialog with Michelin's customer service department and would hope that they might re-open this case for a further review.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #42

Beside the extra cost of the tires, Michelin cost me another $1000+ for my deductible.

Tags
tires