Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #43
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Arrow Why Michelin ....

Michelin Group oversees tire manufacturing, R&D, and commercial operations worldwide.

Michelin North America, headquartered in Greenville, South Carolina, is a major part of Michelin Group, representing one-third of its total tire sales.

Michelin North America employs about 23,000 people in 18 facilities including a state-of-the-art research and development center, a newly-expanded headquarters facility and sales offices across the country.

Since the 1990 acquisition of Uniroyal Goodrich by Michelin Group, the company offers customers three leading brand-name products - Michelin, BFGoodrich and Uniroyal, as well as many private and associate brand products.

"I am likely to buy US manufactured Michelin tires for my RV when they need to be replaced or a Michelin subsidary product if sized properly"

"I am not likely to buy Pacific rim tires"

Your expereince may vary, but I will try (like all get out) to support US companies, jobs and economy when it comes time for me to make a major expense for RV tires.

(Lord knows I put enough holes in Michelin rubber trees during the Vietnam war)

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #44

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Thanks Kent. Good to know I have 16 ply rating.

I won't even buy Michelin wiper blades... for any of my vehicles.
Your coach is the same as mine, almost, and yours takes Load Range H? How heavy are you? I am only 17500 fully loaded. But my manufacturer's tire thing says Load Range F for mine. Lot harder to find for sure.

What brand did you put on?

This thread is gettin me second thinking about those Michelins.

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #45

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
One thing we haven't asked the OP is:
Did you put an automotive "tire shine" on your tires?
Michelin used to approve ONLY 303, then they came out with their own product so then only it was approved (I think it was 303 with a Michelin label on it). Now all they approve is soap, water and a brush.
Most "tire shine" products contain petroleum distillates which dries rubber out. It's not a problem with car tires since we wear them out before they age out. RV tires usually age out before they wear out so the "tire shine" products have longer to work.
So, did the OP use them on the tires, did he have it detailed at some point anmd they used it?
Lots of unknowns yet.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The OEM Michelins on my motorhome never had tire treatments of any kind applied to them. The fronts were only 5 years old, and were so badly cracked on the sidewalls that I had to replace them.Michelin dealer inspected them, agreed with my assessment, but no joy from Michelin. The inside walls of the rear duals were cracked even worse than the fronts. I replaced them about 6 months later without bothering to have the dealer look at them.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
I have new Michelin tires on my car and absolutely love them. They are far quieter and ride much nicer than the Goodyears, course, when the Goodyears were new 5 years ago, they probably rode this nice too. But I was amazed and the quietness of the ride with the new Michelins on.

I can't believe Michelin's tires are no the best in the business. I do know one thing, those Goodyear RV tires last forever, I still have no cracks, no nothing on mine, 45,000 miles and 2002 date codes (yeah yeah, I know, no lectures-I'm getting them replaced) and they still passed 2 inspections, one at Good Year and one at the Ford Dealer.

My problem is NOBODY carries a 245 70 r 19.5 12 Ply Load Range F tire all position ribbed summer rv blackwall EXCEPT Goodyear and Michelin at the 400+ per tire!

Believe me, I've been looking since about this time last year!

Looks like the FMCA/Michelin deal is gonna be my best bet. I have the Dyna Beads and my valve extensions now, just gotta go get them put on....

Firestone FS 560 PLUS 245/70R19.5 F/12PR - tires-easy.com

Sumitomo ST 718 245/70R19.5 F/12PR - tires-easy.com

edit:

Would be alot easier if you would use the 225/70 to replace the 8r19.5's...
Old 10-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
The inside walls of the rear duals were cracked even worse than the fronts. I replaced them about 6 months later without bothering to have the dealer look at them.
So much for the sun being the cause of the cracking.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #49

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Firestone FS 560 PLUS 245/70R19.5 F/12PR - tires-easy.com

Sumitomo ST 718 245/70R19.5 F/12PR - tires-easy.com

edit:

Would be alot easier if you would use the 225/70 to replace the 8r19.5's...

THANKS for the link! I had seen the Firestones sometime in the past, but they are close enough in price to the Michelins, I just thought. But the Sumitomos are a decent price!

I have 245 70 r 19.5 on the coach now. I looked into the 8r19.5's, and FW said no. :(
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #50

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post

I have 245 70 r 19.5 on the coach now. I looked into the 8r19.5's, and FW said no. :(
Gotcha!

The Sumo's are nice enough tires.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #51

National RV Owners Club
The following link may help some of you who want to know where your tires are made. I have Michelin XRV's and they are 7 years old, no cracks/checking. Mine are covered when parked more the a few days. I also store the MH with the jacks down to take the weight off the tires.

All the D.O.T. Tire Plant Codes
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #52

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
The following link may help some of you who want to know where your tires are made. I have Michelin XRV's and they are 7 years old, no cracks/checking. Mine are covered when parked more the a few days. I also store the MH with the jacks down to take the weight off the tires.

All the D.O.T. Tire Plant Codes
Our last set of Michelins was over 8 years old and starting to show some bad cracking. They were never covered.
They were made in Spain (275/70R22.5's)
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #53

For a manufacture such as Michelin to continuously resort back to "weather related" and "non warranteed" just seems like a poor choice for product and company endorsement. I can clearly understand the legal implications by verbally endorsing that the tire is "safe" and the cracking is a non issue. I asked of them if they would clarify to me that the tires, since they do not fall under thier warranty policy, are safe for use. They denied to comment but did stress to me that they (michelin) would not warranty them.

Years ago I went through some tire issues on my newly purchased 1996 enclosed trailer. These where Goodyear Marathons that apparently had ply issues that where not consistant with thier load ratings. The difference here was that Goodyear at least called the issue an upgrade and a replacement to the current tire, and absorbed the complete cost of the new upgraded tire when a problem occured. They never used the word "recall", just "upgrade" at no charge.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
For a manufacture such as Michelin to continuously resort back to "weather related" and "non warranteed" just seems like a poor choice for product and company endorsement. I can clearly understand the legal implications by verbally endorsing that the tire is "safe" and the cracking is a non issue. I asked of them if they would clarify to me that the tires, since they do not fall under thier warranty policy, are safe for use. They denied to comment but did stress to me that they (michelin) would not warranty them.

Years ago I went through some tire issues on my newly purchased 1996 enclosed trailer. These where Goodyear Marathons that apparently had ply issues that where not consistant with thier load ratings. The difference here was that Goodyear at least called the issue an upgrade and a replacement to the current tire, and absorbed the complete cost of the new upgraded tire when a problem occured. They never used the word "recall", just "upgrade" at no charge.
What is it you expect of michelin? I have no dog in this fight... but if you only covered your tires 20% of the time and stored the unit outdoors the rest... what do you think is reasonable??
Old 10-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #55

The question really is:

Should all 6 Michelin XZA tires which have a manufactures date of 4 years and a sale/use date of 3.5 years, be heavily cracked throughout the sidewall when it's use was in "normal conditions" and it's load was "within the standard given rating" and had it's tire "inflation pressure as per Michelins suggestion" and "has low miles" with "significant tread depth"?

This is the real question at hand.

Playing the devils advocate, what did I do wrong?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #56

When a Denman trailer tire exploded and did damage to my trailer, the tire was covered with a replacement warranty. Discount Tire sent it to Denman. Denman wanted pictures of the damage. I sent them along with an estimate and they sent me a check.

Try that with Michelin.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires