Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #71

It's the same picture I posted on page 3. I see 5 + 1.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #72

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Hehe.. same pic.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #73
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I posted this on page 3, but I'll go take another picture if you if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Check the sidewall markings on various tires. I think you will find most of the "plies" are steel.

Note: the sidewall picture you posted earlier in this thread indicates 4 steel plies in the tread area and 1 steel ply in the sidewall. Was that photo of a tire on your coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
It's the same picture I posted on page 3. I see 5 + 1.
I stand corrected.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #74

I didn't know till I looked.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have GY670's on my rig, never cover them and no cracks. I am not a Michelin fan after being denied replacements when belt's separated on an LT tire. I realize truck tires are different, but if I were to find weather checking in tires that are a little over 3 years in age, I probably would just want a prorated amount, then look at a different brand. Why put the same brand on there just to have it happen again.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #76

You know, it's really a shame that Michelin has not stood behind the product they sell, well at least in my case and obviously quite a few others as well. I truely believe most are understanding in this day and age that problems happen from time to time and I am hard pressed to find people that are willing to just throw thier money away without a care in the world. I will say that I was very pleased with the ride quality and maybe thats one of the reasons why I am disapointed as well. If Michelin would express to thier customers a specific way to take care of these tires in a way that they will last 5-6 years, then I and many are all ears.

Weather related? Are these Michelin ZXA 295 80 22.5 tires not suppose to be outside in normal weather conditions? I have not ran into a disclaimer by Michelin, "that when the tires are not in use they must be stored inside". Anyone who spends 800.00 per tire is willing to take extra precautions to get maximum life out of them. I don't think there is a higher priced tire on the market than these Michelin XZA tires. I was always a believer in you get what you pay for, so I am not one to shop for the lowest price. Yes, you can say I am disapointed because all 6 of my Michelin XZA tires are bad. I draw conclusion to them being bad because of severe cracking on the sidewalls are not normal and I am basing this on other tires of same size with same use and age that are not cracked, which is the majority of other brands.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
You know, it's really a shame that Michelin has not stood behind the product they sell, well at least in my case and obviously quite a few others as well. I truely believe most are understanding in this day and age that problems happen from time to time and I am hard pressed to find people that are willing to just throw thier money away without a care in the world. I will say that I was very pleased with the ride quality and maybe thats one of the reasons why I am disapointed as well. If Michelin would express to thier customers a specific way to take care of these tires in a way that they will last 5-6 years, then I and many are all ears.

Weather related? Are these Michelin ZXA 295 80 22.5 tires not suppose to be outside in normal weather conditions? I have not ran into a disclaimer by Michelin, "that when the tires are not in use they must be stored inside". Anyone who spends 800.00 per tire is willing to take extra precautions to get maximum life out of them. I don't think there is a higher priced tire on the market than these Michelin XZA tires. I was always a believer in you get what you pay for, so I am not one to shop for the lowest price. Yes, you can say I am disapointed because all 6 of my Michelin XZA tires are bad. I draw conclusion to them being bad because of severe cracking on the sidewalls are not normal and I am basing this on other tires of same size with same use and age that are not cracked, which is the majority of other brands.
Andy, I certainly understand your frustration and disappointment. I would feel the same way, and believe most people would if they were in your place. Have you considered filing a small claim against them? Also, many times you can have a consultation with a lawyer for free, or perhaps have a lawyer write them a letter for a reasonable fee. Good luck to you; I hope Michelin steps up the plate. When it comes time for us to buy new tires, I'm going to remember your post...so thanks for sharing.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #78

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
ok... so you are an old tire runner? Better not let that get out... the 5yr tire rule folks will have your head on a stick
Good one!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #79

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Gotta catch me first..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #80

Let me know if you coming my way. I'll

Old 10-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #81

Quote:
Andy, I certainly understand your frustration and disappointment. I would feel the same way, and believe most people would if they were in your place. Have you considered filing a small claim against them?
This is a grey area and thats why Michelin turns away so many legitimate claims. I don't think there will be an attorney that will take this on because this is a large corporate company and 4800 bucks is a drop in the bucket and not worth the time or effort by an attorney, unless thier fees are paid up front with retainer money. We all know how you can get trapped up, whereas the attorney is the only one that wins and is in the drivers seat until you say uncle. The only way a situation gets publicity is in a class action law suit whereas someone has lost thier life from incident, such as Firestone and Ford.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Andy, I certainly understand your frustration and disappointment. I would feel the same way, and believe most people would if they were in your place. Have you considered filing a small claim against them? Also, many times you can have a consultation with a lawyer for free, or perhaps have a lawyer write them a letter for a reasonable fee. Good luck to you; I hope Michelin steps up the plate. When it comes time for us to buy new tires, I'm going to remember your post...so thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
This is a grey area and thats why Michelin turns away so many legitimate claims. I don't think there will be an attorney that will take this on because this is a large corporate company and 4800 bucks is a drop in the bucket and not worth the time or effort by an attorney, unless thier fees are paid up front with retainer money. We all know how you can get trapped up, whereas the attorney is the only one that wins and is in the drivers seat until you say uncle. The only way a situation gets publicity is in a class action law suit whereas someone has lost thier life from incident, such as Firestone and Ford.
Just FYI Andy, I don't believe that lawyers are allowed in Small Claims Courts... and most will allow claims of $5K.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #83
laj

You are right Rick, no attorneys in small claims. The problem for Andy becomes who do you file against at Michelin. It will probably go to their legal dept. and they can either send an attorney or hire someone where ever he bought the tires from. They will be very well versed in small claims procedures and getting lots of advice from their attorney. That's why it's so tough for an individual to take on a corp of that size in small claims. Just my one cent worth.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #84

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
I don't think there is any steel in the sidewalls - not enough flexibility.
You don't want to run anything but steel corded tires, anything else is too flexible for a motorhome.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires