Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #99
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutrell01 View Post
Use Aerospace 303 (SPF 40)on your tires and keep them covered and they should hold up longer no matter what the brand.
Roger that!

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
Michelin does not give to much information out at all regarding care, because it can be used against them. They are most likely advised to say very little to nothing. To use "weather realted, not covered under warranty" frequently as a means to escape any sort of litigation or liability.

I will be gathering photos and video to post up of my Michelin XZA tires.
If they built a decent tire that would withstand the weather like most other tire companies do, they wouldn't have to worry about giving out warnings. What about the other companies they own? Do they have weather related problems?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #101

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Michelin does not give to much information out at all regarding care, because it can be used against them. They are most likely advised to say very little to nothing. To use "weather realted, not covered under warranty" frequently as a means to escape any sort of litigation or liability.

Michelin says:
Quote:
Proper Cleaning

Like the rest of your RV, it pays to keep your Michelin tires clean. Road oil will cuase deterioration of the rubber and dirt buildup will hold contaminants next to the tire.
As with cleaning of any rubber product, proper cleaning methods must be used to obtain the maximum years of service from your tires. A soft brush and the normal mild soap that you would use to clean your RV may be used. If you use a dressing product to "protect" your tires from aging, use extra care and caution. Tire dressings that contain petroleum products, alcohol or silicons will cause deterioration or cracking and accelerate the aging process.
In many cases, it is not the dressing itself that can be a problem, but rather the chemical reaction that the product can have with the antioxidant in the tire. Heat can add to the negative reaction. When these same dressing products are used on a passenger car tire that is replaced every three to four years, it is rare to see a major probloem. However, in most cases, RV tires may last much longer due to limited annual mileage, and the chemical reactions have much longer to take place
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #102

If Michelin tires can't stand up to the air we breath, the water we drink and the sun on our body when we go outside, then I Highly doubt it will stand up to any chemical sprayed out of a can.

My 1997 F-350 duelly crew cab which sits in my driveway, and which is rarely driven, sees the same kind of normal weather conditions as my Michelin tires do that are on my motorhome.

There is only one difference. My Firestone tires which have been on my 1997 Ford crew cab for 9 years, do not remotely look as bad as my Michelins that are on my Monaco for 3.5 years.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #103

Would people still be loyal to Budweiser and Coors if it started going flat sooner than other brands did?

I was a life-long Michelin man until their customer service cost me over $1000 and destroyed the rear of my truck bed and exhaust... twice. And, that's just monetary value. The stress and inconvenience would more than double that. Plus, there was dealing with insurance, the body shop and the missed trips and the damage to my trailer. As I said before, if other tire companies can make tires that don't disintegrate in the light of day, than why can't Michelin?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #104

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

please do. you were asked to post weeks ago.

Michelin gives out the MOST info regarding tire care. You have your blinders on. Is it time to post the michelin weather chart??

Michelin Sidewall Cracking Chart - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery
Old 10-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #105

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
If Michelin tires can't stand up to the air we breath, the water we drink and the sun on our body when we go outside, then I Highly doubt it will stand up to any chemical sprayed out of a can.

My 1997 F-350 duelly crew cab which sits in my driveway, and which is rarely driven, sees the same kind of normal weather conditions as my Michelin tires do that are on my motorhome.

There is only one difference. My Firestone tires which have been on my 1997 Ford crew cab for 9 years, do not remotely look as bad as my Michelins that are on my Monaco for 3.5 years.
[ moderator edit , not nice ].

FYI... my good friend has a 45' tiffin rig with 4yr old michelins he parks near the Gulf of Mexico when the coach isnt in use. I looked closely at his tires and saw nothing wrong with them. They also have about 40k on them.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #106

If "Michelin" had a chart showing an out of round tire and called it "acceptable", would any of you take their word for it, just because it's a Michelin?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #107

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Why do you think that is? What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Old 10-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #108

WeatherTodd,

I do not believe all Michelin tires have issues, but it appears that an overwhelming amount due. I would say enough to question. I know, and you know that if you layed down 4800 bucks in tires and after 3.5 years, you where put into a position that you had no choice but to lay out more money for 6 more tires, than you would be a little upset as well. Lets not kid ourselfs. You obviously are not in the situation as many have been in the past.

I'm sure there are plenty out there that would like to know the possible issues prior to a purchase of Michelins, and whats wrong with that?

Quote:
what Michelin cant stand up to is owners like yourself that are basically cry babies.
I'm far from the left and don't believe in hand outs, as you are indicating in your statement of a "non-legitamate claim".
Old 10-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #109
laj

Have had my Michelins on for 4 yrs. now and look as good as the day I put them on. Not sure if size has anything to do with it or not, but when it's time i will buy another set. The ride and handling are great. Sorry about your trouble Andy, something somewhere isn't right.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #110

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
Have had my Michelins on for 4 yrs. now and look as good as the day I put them on. Not sure if size has anything to do with it or not, but when it's time i will buy another set. The ride and handling are great. Sorry about your trouble Andy, something somewhere isn't right.
I agree.

Me too, Andy, I feel bad this has happened to you. I hope you can get some resolution or satisfaction some way out of this situation.

Keep us posted.
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #111

No ill will to the people that own Michelin tires that have had no issues. I will say this, that when I migrated from my Yokohama tires which only had 1800 miles on them to the Michelin XZA's I was estatic. I couldn't image that there could be a tire company to even compare with the ride that teh XZA Energy's gave. I played a little with the air pressure to get it right (105 front, 95 back) and I even spoke with multiple friends who own coaches and encouraged them to switch because of the ride. I had read so much about these tires, and to this day I am not sure if that was a new tire on the market for the time when I made the purchase. If so, now I understand why I didn't run into any feedback regarding how they last in time and what the problems might be. I did not need tires when I bought these, I was in search for a more comfortable ride. Prior to the purchase of the Michelins I went ahead and installed the koni fsd shocks and that made a difference as well as I worked my way to what I would consider a perfect ride. Then prior to buying teh Michelins I sold my Yokohoma tires that had 1800 miles on them with no issues and bought the Michelins XZA Energy tires I speak about.

It would be easier to part with the problem if the ride sucked although if I where to make a decision, I would not buy these Michelin XZA Energy tires again unless I was that well off to discard them every 3 years.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #112
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folks, some of these posts are getting way too personal.

No one has to prove anything to anyone.

Facts, opinions, thoughts, etc. are all legitimate posts.

Let's get back to discussing the topic and not each other.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires