Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #113

National RV Owners Club
Andy, I hope this storm passes you by with no damages. Back to the tires. I run XRV's on my MH and have not had one bit of trouble. In fact I have a 23580R/22.5 with a date of 0200. This tire has no checking/cracks on it. NO IT'S NOT ON THE MH. My 05 tire also has no checking/cracks on it. not on the MH either. When my MH sits for more the a few days, the tires are covered. I didn't learn this on the Forum or from Michelin. I learned this in the Marine Corps many years ago. Military vehicles in storage have the tires covered to prevent Ozone damage to the rubber. When tires are manufactured they are made with a substance to prevent premature ozone damage (checking/cracking). This substance is released throughout your tires as they are in use, if they are not rolling the substance is not being able to protect your tires like it was designed to do. That is why your vehicles that are driven daily will usually show no checking/cracking because they are being constantly lubricated. The two old Michelins I have were covered on the MH when not on the road and even though they were replaced I still kept them in a shed.
Before anyone asks, the reason I have these is I was hoping to sell them to a farmer for off road vehicles or for kids to play on.

I would be interested, when you have the time, and the storm SAFELY passes you by, to see the DOT markings on your tires. The whole thing. Just a thought, but if you have an Earl Scribe Tire store near by have them look at the tires. They are an authorized dealer, so is Discount Tire if they are back there.

FYI, The covering we used on the Military Vehicles was a "black paint" like looking compound. If we needed the vehicle we could drive with the "paint" on it.

One last thing and then I'll shut up for awhile. Get a second opinion.

OK, one more last thing, is it only the Michelin XZA Energy tires that all you folks are having the cracking/checking problems with?????

sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #114

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
That 'black paint' was most likely 'carbon black'

Old 10-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #115

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hmmmm, wonder why Michelin finds it necessary to publish a chart of pictures showing the degree of cracking in their tires.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #116

It's cheaper to publish a chart than it is to put thousands of pounds of anti-cracking compound in their tires?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #117

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good Point
Old 10-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #118

Monaco Owners Club
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
My experience with my Michelin tires is different. I paid $ 3000.00 to put 6 LR-G tires on my F-450 pickup. I couldn't drive my truck in any kind of wet environment. I would be sliding all over the road. i remember at one occaision a traffic light turned red and I pressed the brakes a little harder than normal (not panic braking at all) and I went sideways. Multiple calls to Michelin resulted in "those are the recommended tires for your vehicle". Well $ 2500 later, I changed back to Continental Tires (which were original brand from Ford) and all was good again.

I will never own a set of Michelintires again.
I know Michelins will get the most miles out of set of their tires only because the rubber compound they use is so hard which in my mind does not lend itself to good grip. For the average rv rolling 5 to 10 housand miles a year most rv'ers won't wear the tread off before the tire becomes so weather cracked that it becomes a real safety concern. Unless you are putting on alot of miles on your rv in a relatively short period of time I can't see why anyone would buy Michelins. I know that the compounds used in any of tires begin to deteriate at the 6 year mark and should be changed regardless of tire tread wear so why buy a hard gripless tire that tend to crack?. This is a common trait in all Michelin tires not just rv tires.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #119

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
I have 245/70 R 19.5 Toyo 143M, LRH Tires on our motorhome. They are a little over 3 years old, and no cracks. They are made in Japan, and were a little more than 1/2 the cost of the Michelins that were replaced for excessive sidewall cracking. So far, I am well pleased with them. The ride is a bit firmer due to stiffer sidewalls, but not offensive to me at all. I too am through with Michelins, in my opinion, they are way over rated, and over priced too.
In my mind the Toyo is the best, I use them on everything.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:50 AM   #120

Put Toyo's on mine last year. I keep them covered and use an UV protectant.

I posted earlier that I recently threw away a mounted tire that brought my family from OH to AZ in 1954. It still held air and sat out in the weather. I don't remember the brand, but there was no cracking or checking. I guess they were made when stuff was still made to last.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #121

Monaco Owners Club
Whatever tire you buy be sure to check the manufactures date. I was informed of this that certain unnamed retailers (like Costco) don't throw out their seldom sold tires like for utility trailers. can be 4 years old when you but them.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #122
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Put Toyo's on mine last year. I keep them covered and use an UV protectant.

I posted earlier that I recently threw away a mounted tire that brought my family from OH to AZ in 1954. It still held air and sat out in the weather. I don't remember the brand, but there was no cracking or checking. I guess they were made when stuff was still made to last.
How true! Manufacturers have reduced the costs to build an item by using cheaper parts to be competative or are profit driven. The end result is most things are made to fail early by design. We have become a throw-away society.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #123

Does anybody else remember when Sears made a tire so good, it never wore out? They took it off the market.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #124

Winnebago Owners Club
I run Michelins on three 4 wheel vehicles and enjoy them. But, I am going to Goodyear for the motor home. Michelins have not proven to be dependable on the motor home.
Contrary to forum advise, I am running the last two Michelins on the left rear along with Goodyear in all other positions. They are the same size. However the air pressure requirement isn't the same. Therefore, I run 85 psi in the Michelins and 95 in the right side rear Michelins.
Whether it makes sense or not, I just made an 800 mile trip with no problem with the tires. Usually I have a Michelin to blow out on an 800 mile trip even though I check the pressure before beginning the trip.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #125
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Walker View Post
Whether it makes sense or not, I just made an 800 mile trip with no problem with the tires. Usually I have a Michelin to blow out on an 800 mile trip even though I check the pressure before beginning the trip.
Are you saying that you usually have a blowout every 800 miles???

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #126
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
OH My God! My Michelin XRVs have cracks in the side wall !!!!

Now here's the rest of the story ... I'm on my 2nd set of XRVs and they are all date matched DOT 1206. Since then I have put on over 50,000 miles in 6 years. I have driven more than an average amount of miles on my rig and when not in use, I keep the tires covered using Prompt sunscreens.

Michelin has formulated the tire compounds so that chemicals embedded in the rubber work to prevent of Ozone cracking and exposure wear and are released when the tire is flexed or driven. If you have a 3 year old tire that sits around it is totally likely that it will begin to show signs of premature cracking.

Pickup trucks are not motorhomes since they are basically driven every day. The compounds in those tires works as they are supposed to and prevent cracking.

The old, long time proven, phrase that applies in this context is use it or loose it. I can guarantee that regardless of the tire if it sits it'll rot and that's the truth.

In addition Michelin reps that have spoken in seminars have also stated that a motorhome needs to be moved so the tire doesn't sit in the same spot for 6 months OR tire damage may result. To assuage this somewhat, my MH sits up on its jacks so the weight on the tire is significantly less.

I have submitted photographic evidence that I have cracks in my sidewall. Now this is the only place where cracking is evident on the side wall however it is far less than the minimum depicted in the graphic on the tire checking gauge window that deems this amount of cracking as acceptable. Yes, I do expect that similar cracking exists on the other 5 tires however I checked the other front tires and it doesn't have any cracks.

The shoulders on the tread of the front tires are worn somewhat but that is due to turning. The tread itself looks almost as good today as it did when I bought the tire. I am of the opinion that I will be able to get the 4 more years of wear (lifespan) out of these tires at which point, I expect to buy a 3rd set of Michelin XRVs.

I have had 2 motorhomes with XRVs and the worst thing that happened to me is that back in 2002 I got a flat tire from a nail on the 1st motorhome.

I run tire pressure monitoring sensors on my tires so I can keep an eye on the pressures at all times. I am very fussy about pressures and I keep an eye on the monitor like a hawk. If I miss something, not to fear the monitor will begin sounding an alarm. It's set for 10% under and 15% over. I also monitor temperatures at the valve which normally are slightly warmer than ambient but not much. I run a TST 507RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB041417.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	28720  

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires