Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Michelin strikes again!!
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #16

It's like the difference between the cost of Levi and Wrangler jeans. They are going by a name that does not guarantee quality or CS anymore.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #17

And what's this I hear about some Michelin tires being made in China? What's to keep a production line worker from shorting a certain ingredient, right after a quality inspection?

Old 10-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #18
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
...Dave Stern Inc. expressed to Michelin that the tires had "checking" and Michelin's decision was expressed to me by them saying that "we do not cover weather related issues that have caused the checking"...
Michelin used to cover cracking caused by weather exposure for a period of 5 years from the date of manufacture, but they no longer do. Their warranty now specifically excludes weather-related checking.

I don't know when the coverage was discontinued; but if it was still in effect when you made your purchase 3½ years ago, you may have a case. In Oct. 2008, we had 2 tires replaced at a big discount because of sidewall cracking. The photo below shows what our tires looked like when they were replaced under warranty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tires007 s.jpg
Views:	1011
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	27890
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #19

I recently threw away a tire that brought my family to AZ in 1954 that looked better than that and was still holding Ohio air. It was stored outside and subjected to 122°+ heat and daily sun.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had Michelin tires on my last MH that had cracks at three years. On my Providence I have a set of Goodyears that are coming up on six years and not one crack. I would never own another Michelin tire. Way over priced and overrated.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #21

Thats the best way to sum it up about Michelin tires.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Don't give up the fight...I had two Michelin tires checker and I stayed on them until they corrected the problem. They sent me a letter explaining why they refused to replace the tires. I took pictures of the tires, and informed them that I was giving a copy of the letter and pictures to my attorney, and that if anything bad happened to me or my family he was instructed to file on my behave...Long story short, Michelin replaced both tires (pro-rated of course for tread used), but with my Monaco International discount and the credit from Michelin it only cost me $300/tire out the door.

What I also found out is that the dealer you are working with will make a world of difference on your results...
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have new Michelin tires on my car and absolutely love them. They are far quieter and ride much nicer than the Goodyears, course, when the Goodyears were new 5 years ago, they probably rode this nice too. But I was amazed and the quietness of the ride with the new Michelins on.

I can't believe Michelin's tires are no the best in the business. I do know one thing, those Goodyear RV tires last forever, I still have no cracks, no nothing on mine, 45,000 miles and 2002 date codes (yeah yeah, I know, no lectures-I'm getting them replaced) and they still passed 2 inspections, one at Good Year and one at the Ford Dealer.

My problem is NOBODY carries a 245 70 r 19.5 12 Ply Load Range F tire all position ribbed summer rv blackwall EXCEPT Goodyear and Michelin at the 400+ per tire!

Believe me, I've been looking since about this time last year!

Looks like the FMCA/Michelin deal is gonna be my best bet. I have the Dyna Beads and my valve extensions now, just gotta go get them put on....

Old 10-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have 245/70 R 19.5 Toyo 143M, LRH Tires on our motorhome. They are a little over 3 years old, and no cracks. They are made in Japan, and were a little more than 1/2 the cost of the Michelins that were replaced for excessive sidewall cracking. So far, I am well pleased with them. The ride is a bit firmer due to stiffer sidewalls, but not offensive to me at all. I too am through with Michelins, in my opinion, they are way over rated, and over priced too.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #25

Michelins have been BY FAR the best and longest lasting tires I have EVER had on a vehicle - got 3 times the mileage out of them as the OEM tires on my '02 Dodge/Cummins 2500, than the best equivalent TOYOs I could buy locally - at ANY price...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The tread wear was great, but cracks in the sidewalls on the front tires after just over 5 years of service were atrocious. The rears lasted 6 and were replaced for the same reason. I agree they are comfortable riding tires.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #27

This tire shown here is paractically in new condition compared to the cracking throughout my tires. I would consider this "checking".

Old 10-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You know, it might be worth a fight in Small Claims court. I think for $5k I would give it a try.
We replaced our Michelins at 50,000, great tread but the checking was atrocious. And they were OEM tires about 5 years old when I bought them. I replaced them with BFG Commercial T/A. This was before I discovered they are owned by Michelin.....
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires