Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Playing the devils advocate, what did I do wrong?
3.5 years ago you bought the wrong brand.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #58

The Goodyear tires I took off were 8 years old and had zero checking or cracking. If GY can do it, why can't Michelin.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Michelin says run em. Put a good lawyer on retainer and run the $#|] out of them. If one blows hang on tight and jam the throttle to the floor for several seconds. Then just let it slow down, while calling your lawyer. Hopefully the only thing tore up is the RV and everyone lands safely. Keep in mind this is a totally sarcastic suggestion. BTW, I am running 10 year old GY670's that have sidewalls that look like they did when they were new. GY may not be the best overall tire on the market but boy to they handle UV radiation better than most.

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkersRanch View Post
Michelin says run em. Put a good lawyer on retainer and run the $#|] out of them. If one blows hang on tight and jam the throttle to the floor for several seconds. Then just let it slow down, while calling your lawyer. Hopefully the only thing tore up is the RV and everyone lands safely. .
Is Michelin saying they're OK to run or just that they won't cover the damage under warranty?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #61

Michelin, at no point made any suggestions as to what I should do with the Michelin XZA tires that are in question. I've posed specifc questions on weather they where safe or not safe to run and they avoided answering those questions. They did express that my 3.5 year old Michelin XZA tires are not covered under warranty due to weather related issues.

Once again, I am hoping they would reconsider thier stance on the situation and take a deeper look into the problem.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #62

If nothing else, the cracks let moisture in to rust the steel cords. That can't be good.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #63

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
What is it you expect of michelin? I have no dog in this fight... but if you only covered your tires 20% of the time and stored the unit outdoors the rest... what do you think is reasonable??
How about NO CRACKING in a tire that is less than 4 years old? I have 1999 Goodyears still on the coach and there is NO CRACKING. Never been covered either..

Besides, the OP claims these cracks go way beyond simple 'weather cracking' anyways..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #64

Tiffin Owners Club
I find it a bit amusing that we're supposed to cover our tires while not using our rigs?

FWIW I've had terrible luck with Michelin, Yokohama, and Goodyear tires. Goodyears have been the worst. Yet the BEST tires I've ever seen are holding up our Chaparral: 4 Goodyear 16.5" bias ply "Workhorse" tires. Best trailer tires I've ever had. I think bullets would bounce off those things.

As for cracking sidewalls, note to tire mfr's:

Just use some decent rubber already.
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
How about NO CRACKING in a tire that is less than 4 years old? I have 1999 Goodyears still on the coach and there is NO CRACKING. Never been covered either..

Besides, the OP claims these cracks go way beyond simple 'weather cracking' anyways..
ok... so you are an old tire runner? Better not let that get out... the 5yr tire rule folks will have your head on a stick

Guess what... I have 7yr old michelins... no cracking, checking, or damage.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItForwrd View Post
I find it a bit amusing that we're supposed to cover our tires while not using our rigs?

FWIW I've had terrible luck with Michelin, Yokohama, and Goodyear tires. Goodyears have been the worst. Yet the BEST tires I've ever seen are holding up our Chaparral: 4 Goodyear 16.5" bias ply "Workhorse" tires. Best trailer tires I've ever had. I think bullets would bounce off those things.

As for cracking sidewalls, note to tire mfr's:

Just use some decent rubber already.
Its a given fact if you want something to last... cover, garage, or sheild it from the sun. Not for nothing but the OP hasnt provided us with ANYTHING to support his case other than some online sobbing.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #67
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
If nothing else, the cracks let moisture in to rust the steel cords. That can't be good.
I don't think there is any steel in the sidewalls - not enough flexibility.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #68
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
Once again, I am hoping they would reconsider thier stance on the situation and take a deeper look into the problem.
As I said earlier in this thread, I had 2 tires replaced for weather checking exactly 4 years ago this month. At that time, the warranty still covered weather checking for a period of 5 years.

Ask Michelin exactly when they discontinued coverage for weather-related issues. If it was still in effect when you bought your tires 3½ years ago, they should still honor today the warranty that was in effect when you made the purchase.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
I posted this on page 3, but I'll go take another picture if you if you want.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Check the sidewall markings on various tires. I think you will find most of the "plies" are steel.

Note: the sidewall picture you posted earlier in this thread indicates 4 steel plies in the tread area and 1 steel ply in the sidewall. Was that photo of a tire on your coach?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires