Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #1

My Retirement Idea

Here is my plan, when we retire in a few years go to Florida to attend one of the recognized RV tech training schools. Get my certification, the wife and I have talked about doing volunteer work, with this training i would like to preform free service for people who are struggling, to help maintain and fix there RV's. Not sure how to screen or even find the needy, but it is a plan in its early stages, Thoughts, G
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #2

Not sure about your idea or how it would work for you. I have a sense that the vast majority of RVer's are not needy. You could get swamped with people just looking for a cheap fix for something they could otherwise afford. It sure is a generous and unselfish plan on your part. The retirement part sounds great. Good luck. John H...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I think that is a great idea. Perhaps those who could afford your services could donate a little to help absorb the price of your training.

Weeding out the needy from the "overly thrifty" may prove to be difficult though.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GENECOP View Post
Not sure how to screen or even find the needy

Nice idea --- but you would go broke if you "screen" like our Gov't, which is basically accept all! Kinda the same scenario with handicap parking permits

Good luck.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #5

alternate suggestion ...

In my mind, there are few RVers who are truly "needy" ...

On the other hand there are many folks who either do not have a home, or are living in substandard housing. Habitat for Humanity builds (or rehabs) affordable decent housing for folks who do not qualify for homeownership through typical financing (the homeowner must have enough income to pay off an interest free loan) ...

And why is this pertinent to your retirement plans ... RV Care-A-Vanners is a group of folks that work on Habitat for Humanity projects while they live in their RVs.

The saying among the volunteers is "This is a handup ... not a handout" ... each new homeowner must work a prescribed number of hours on their house (or the house of others).

My wife and I have volunteered for 11 of these projects during the past decade ... 4 in Michigan, 4 in Louisiana, 1 in Ohio, 1 in California, 1 in Wisconsin. On several occasions we have returned years later to see the homes that we have helped to build. It is satisfying to see how you have helped someone better their living conditions.

The work is very rewarding ... the commradery with the fellow volunteers is great ... we have made life long friends doing this work.

==> RV Care-A-Vanners Website

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #6

Skigramp, i had no idea Care- A - Vanners existed, having built homes for 30 years i do think something different would have more interest for me. learning a new skill or trade is appealing to me, i will however check out the website, thanks Gene
Old 07-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Genecop,

The truely "needy" RVer may be far and few between... Hard to imagine the owner of a 1/4 Million Dollar RV as being needy! But then there are folks out there who have lost their homes and are living in TTs, although you're not likely to find them in the more popular campgrounds.

I think your plan is most honorable and sounds like fun. Being a member of a local WIT Group, we have several "handymen" in our group who are always ready and eager to assist a fellow RVer with any problems they may encounter, so even if you were to offer your expertise and they foot the bill for parts, I think you would quickly become the most popular guy in any group you happen to join!
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #8

The key to a happy retirement is to be happy. So if you like the idea, why not?

My suggestion is to charge for your services, if for no other reason to buy parts for the ones that cant afford the part and the labor. You can always decide to reduce the bill, or eliminate a bill once the repair is completed.

Finding parks with older rigs isnt difficult,,I am sure that you can find plenty of work, just by distributing a few business cards.
Rick&Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #9

Thanks for the feedback, i guess i was also thinking about the people with seasonal sites, many campgrounds have seasonal sites that are occupied by people who live there full time. In this economy, that turns out to be a relatively inexpensive way to live for people who are experiencing hardship, G
Old 07-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
GENECOP, Years ago I sort of adopted a family that was plagued with tradgedy. I helped buy food and worked on their car to keep it running. I did their plumbing and electrical and did this for three years. After trying to keep them afloat for those three years it occured to me that there was a reason they were in this predicament. They were not very smart and they were lazy. That was when I realized I was a Republican. They did nothing to help themselves and were more than happy to accept the kindness of others without contributing a thing to help themselves. That program, RV A-Vanners, sounds like they have the right idea. Those folks need help not a handout. BIG DIFFERANCE
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #11

Yes Chuck that is one of the problems with this kind of thing, i to have seen the kind of family that you reference. Figuring out who really needs help, some things are beyond our control, and some things are created by us, both cases are sad, but latter is more deserving, G
Old 07-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Genecop,

I agree with skigramp, Habitat For Humanity is tops in our opinion. And as Chuck found out the hard way some people just want to sponge off the system. Best of luck sorting out the people who really need your service and appreciate it.

We just got involved in another worthwhile organization "Angel Bus" devoted to helping people who are really in need. If you get a chance check it out.
http://angel-bus.com
pkendzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENECOP View Post
Here is my plan, when we retire in a few years go to Florida to attend one of the recognized RV tech training schools. Get my certification, the wife and I have talked about doing volunteer work, with this training i would like to preform free service for people who are struggling, to help maintain and fix there RV's. Not sure how to screen or even find the needy, but it is a plan in its early stages, Thoughts, G
You could charge for your services and donate the money to a charity of your choice.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
You could charge for your services and donate the money to a charity of your choice.

Cliff

You know Cliff the problem i have always had with that has been the uncertainty that our donations make it to the needy. With so much greed and dishonesty i have never trusted those organizations. I like the idea of knowing, without question, that the help is making it directly to the person. G