Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2015, 04:57 PM   #15

Thanks Gadjet Man for the great review. I found your assessment of Eterna Bond particularly informative. I have been considering Eterna Bond for a while but you have confirmed my concerns. Since I live in Canada, I have to figure out how to get this done but I'm in no rush for the time being.

Thanks again, very helpful.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2015, 10:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
They don't coat slide out's, main roof only.
They do slide outs, they just don't warrantee them.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbrace View Post
Why wouldn't the Industry use this coating on all motor homes if it is as good as it sounds? They all would like to give a warranty like this! I know there are fantastic chemicals these days and offering it as an option would be great for all MH's coming from the factory! It sure would get rid of a lot of issues coach owners have? I'm sure the cost would be much lower if the companies started offering it!
JMO-and I hope the OP does not take this as bashing this system as I am not. The most likely reason this is not mainstream in RV building is the actual manufacturers of these coatings will not specifically rate this product for RV usage just yet. I am unsure if RV armor claims to manufacture this or not, but the products they use are identical to the Uniflex system from Sherwin Williams. The specs are the same for elasticity (833%) as well as tensile strength at comparable mil thicknesses. Even the acrylic flashing putty is the same with the only difference being Uniflex recommends a fabric reinforcement but I did not see RV Armor use that in any of their videos. I also could not help but notice RV Armor advertises the system is available in all Sherwin Williams colors coincidentally. My brother owns a waterproofing company so I am somewhat familiar. I am considering just DIYing this system as it would cost me under $1000 to do myself, but I actually would consider paying the $5200 for theirs if I could sell the coach with a COMPLETE warrantee, instead of a DIY roofing system.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:19 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
They do slide outs, they just don't warrantee them.
Interesting...I specifically asked Lee Thaxton (their president) this before I decided to use them. He said no, they do not do slide outs. If someone is offering to do one without a warranty, my guess is they are unauthorized...hence no warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
JMO-and I hope the OP does not take this as bashing this system as I am not. The most likely reason this is not mainstream in RV building is the actual manufacturers of these coatings will not specifically rate this product for RV usage just yet. I am unsure if RV armor claims to manufacture this or not, but the products they use are identical to the Uniflex system from Sherwin Williams. The specs are the same for elasticity (833%) as well as tensile strength at comparable mil thicknesses. Even the acrylic flashing putty is the same with the only difference being Uniflex recommends a fabric reinforcement but I did not see RV Armor use that in any of their videos. I also could not help but notice RV Armor advertises the system is available in all Sherwin Williams colors coincidentally. My brother owns a waterproofing company so I am somewhat familiar. I am considering just DIYing this system as it would cost me under $1000 to do myself, but I actually would consider paying the $5200 for theirs if I could sell the coach with a COMPLETE warrantee, instead of a DIY roofing system.
No offense taken at all, I find this enlightening. If one could purchase the same materials and do it themselves, the cost savings would be substantial according to your figures. That being said, with three herniated back disks, I could by no means do it myself. I am forced to pay someone else for their labor and rely on their warranty if anything fails. Not everyone is in my shoes so I say go for it!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:29 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Review of RV Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbrace View Post
Why wouldn't the Industry use this coating on all motor homes if it is as good as it sounds? They all would like to give a warranty like this....
That's easy....time and $$. No coach builder will ever warranty anything for life. This coating takes three days to apply, as each level of coating must cure before the next one can be applied. Imagine if coach builders took three days just to complete a roof? They roll out their material and probably finish in less than three hours.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
Interesting...I specifically asked Lee Thaxton (their president) this before I decided to use them. He said no, they do not do slide outs. If someone is offering to do one without a warranty, my guess is they are unauthorized...hence no warranty.

No offense taken at all, I find this enlightening. If one could purchase the same materials and do it themselves, the cost savings would be substantial according to your figures. That being said, with three herniated back disks, I could by no means do it myself. I am forced to pay someone else for their labor and rely on their warranty if anything fails. Not everyone is in my shoes so I say go for it!

Craig
I have a partially similar mindset-no back issues but I always appreciate the value of paying for professional labor and I also understand the cost of providing a warrantee. But with 3 large slides that makes up more than a quarter of my roof that would be without warrantee. That just gives me pause on pulling the trigger with them vs rolling it myself. Come time to sell or trade and a certified system would be much better than a homemade job.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:02 AM   #21

I'm still torn between Roof Armor, and LineX. The Linex treatment isn't the same as in a pickup bed and it also comes in colors. It has a lifetime warranty that is good at any dealer. I've seen the LineX, and I was pretty impressed. The guy also had the front done with the color match. The roof was white, while the radius's(radii?) we're a tan color. It was also comparably priced.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #22

Great info. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #23

Does anyone have an idea of the insulation value of the Roof Armour product? I would think it would cut down some of the heat transfer from the roof.