Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Try using a GOOD spray lube on all the joints under the step. Depending on the humidity where you live, you might have to lube them a couple times per year.
WD40 is not a good product for this because it evaporates quickly. Look for one that has PTFE.
Good advice, my manual says to lube them every trip. Agree on WD 40, too.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #16

The Kwikee manual says lube them every month.This is because the motor operates(shuts off) by amperage draw.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Its a dumb step

I can't count the number of times I have gone down the road and finally realize the damn steps are out. One time after leaving my truck repair facility, the guy at the front desk called me on my cell phone and advised that he saw me leaving the parking lot and my step were out. The same thing has happened many many time to the point that it is the passengers job to look out the window and verify the step are in.

It seems to me if the system work properly, the steps would retract when the MH is running and in drive. It doesn't matter where that wall switch is it did the same damn thing every so often.

It was lubed and greased etc but still did what it wanted to do. I knew all about the sense ckt and at one time had to remove the entire unit to replace the actuator arm after it cracked. One thing I did find is that if I remove the power to the step by pulling the connector plug it then will work fine for some time.

It appears to me that the control logic is intermittent. Probably just another dumb product made by someone with a two year engineering degree. IMHO many parts made for the RV industry are well let's say under designed and more Rub Goldberg and jeri rigged with other people's parts. Just a cheaper way out.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #18

Hasn't happened to us yet, but I always look before leaving. There should be a big red light somewhere on the dash that lets you know if they did not retract.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
Hasn't happened to us yet, but I always look before leaving. There should be a big red light somewhere on the dash that lets you know if they did not retract.
I am putting in a new wireless security system to include both smoke and co detectors and all will be connected to a cellular communicator to my central station. They will call me on my cell if any activity.

For the step working on a plan to putting a magnet sensor on the step (similar to what is on the door but normally closed when away from the magnet) this will go to a sonalert connect to the ignition. If the key is on and the step is out the sonalert will sound.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I can't count the number of times I have gone down the road and finally realize the damn steps are out. One time after leaving my truck repair facility, the guy at the front desk called me on my cell phone and advised that he saw me leaving the parking lot and my step were out. The same thing has happened many many time to the point that it is the passengers job to look out the window and verify the step are in.

It seems to me if the system work properly, the steps would retract when the MH is running and in drive. It doesn't matter where that wall switch is it did the same damn thing every so often.

It was lubed and greased etc but still did what it wanted to do. I knew all about the sense ckt and at one time had to remove the entire unit to replace the actuator arm after it cracked. One thing I did find is that if I remove the power to the step by pulling the connector plug it then will work fine for some time.

It appears to me that the control logic is intermittent. Probably just another dumb product made by someone with a two year engineering degree. IMHO many parts made for the RV industry are well let's say under designed and more Rub Goldberg and jeri rigged with other people's parts. Just a cheaper way out.
That is the way Kwikee steps are wired. Just in case you don't have an owners manual: http://support.powergearus.com/techd...20Rev%20OI.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=ladagobago;1950745]I can't count the number of times I have gone down the road and finally realize the damn steps are out. One time after leaving my truck repair facility, the guy at the front desk called me on my cell phone and advised that he saw me leaving the parking lot and my step were out. The same thing has happened many many time to the point that it is the passengers job to look out the window and verify the step are in.

/QUOTE]

It's the door switch, needs adjusted, or your not getting the door closed tightly, it happens Happened to me adjusted the door switch, all done, all is good.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #22

And Brock wins the turkey.

The man at Kwicky said if the steps run backwards, replace the magnetic switch on the door frame. Like it says in the manual?

He also said, "Do not use WD-40 or silicone lub on the steps. As it says in the manual. Use only Kwik Lub spray grease." Seems the WD-40 (fish oil based lub) and silicone lub dry out/get blown off as you go down the road.

Now I sit here and wait for the switch to arrive. Might as well go fishin'.
SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCal View Post
And Brock wins the turkey.

The man at Kwicky said if the steps run backwards, replace the magnetic switch on the door frame. Like it says in the manual?

He also said, "Do not use WD-40 or silicone lub on the steps. As it says in the manual. Use only Kwik Lub spray grease." Seems the WD-40 (fish oil based lub) and silicone lub dry out/get blown off as you go down the road.

Now I sit here and wait for the switch to arrive. Might as well go fishin'.
Good to hear you are getting somewhere on this. However; still think it is maybe an adjustment issue rather than a replacement. Just not a H### of a lot to go wrong with a magnet .
Old 03-07-2014, 06:14 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Good to hear you are getting somewhere on this. However; still think it is maybe an adjustment issue rather than a replacement. Just not a H### of a lot to go wrong with a magnet .
Right on with the magnet and reed switch. I am in the alarm business and have install well over 10000 similar switches. they last for decades. They told me the same thing and most people like to blame the magnetic switch but a simple ohm meter will tell you it works every time.

Make sure that you wait for the step to totally extend before going down or up the step. last year, my grand daughter opened the door and jump down on the step while it was still moving out. That broke the actuator arm. I found a replacement but it is a real pita to replace. acctually had to remove the entire step assemply to replace the die cast item.

Luckily she did not get hurt when she fell but what if it was one of us old folks and we broke a hip ect. IMHO it is still a crappy contraption of a back yard inventor that got lucky and rich.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Try using a GOOD spray lube on all the joints under the step. Depending on the humidity where you live, you might have to lube them a couple times per year.
WD40 is not a good product for this because it evaporates quickly. Look for one that has PTFE.
I just replaced my Kwikee step and the instructions say they should be lubed once per month.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:47 PM   #26

If it running backwards swap the wires under the step feeding the motor. I know you said you removed the motor to inspect it, my guess is there backwards. Its a five minute fix. I'm really doubting it has anything to do with the door switch.

Especially if it's operating as you open and close the door.

Stop fishing! Go RV'ing
Old 03-08-2014, 01:21 AM   #27

It has a LOT to do with the magnetic door switch and the on/off rocker switch for the steps. I just troubleshooted my Kwikee step yesterday. It was operating backwards....deployed when the door closed and retracted when the door opened. The way I fixed it was to continuity test both of those switches and compare the results with the switches that came with the new step. The magnetic switch is normally "open" or normally "closed" depending on what model step you have. Once I replaced the magnetic switch with the one that came with the new step and made the rocker switch connections mimic the rocker connections in the parts kit, all was solved. Before I did that it was .
Old 03-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #28

If he removed the motor I think its more likely if immediately after if the steps are reversed the wiring is reversed. More likely than a door switch failure at the same time...

Its at least worth checking.

Tags
steps