Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here's my question.....why do people with older rigs find the need to justify why they have older rigs. There is a similar thread running on here called "How Very Boring of Me". Again, talking about how they have an older rig and why they don't need a new one. Why is there a need to post these type of threads?

We all buy what we can afford. When we were younger raising kids, we couldn't afford a fancy rig and had a few used rigs through the years. As time went by, we became more comfortable. We actually thought marrying off our two daughters would leave us with unlimited funds, but that wasn't true, they cost us as much or more now......primarily because of grandkids.

I know people make choices on what they drive. Some do specific camping, like desert or beach and don't need anything fancy. Our friends drive their older rig to a piece of property they bought and go boating. They spent their money on the property and boat and the rig works out perfectly. Some have medical issues that drained their savings. No matter what your place is in life, just enjoy what you have and the camping lifestyle.

I have a relatively nice coach and I'm anal about keeping it looking nice. With that said, I like to visit my neighbors when we camp and I usually carry enough tools and spare parts to often help them make a repair if necessary. I don't look down on what anyone camps in. When were parked in the campground, were all just people there to have a good time. I like meeting new people in campgrounds and shooting the breeze with the neighbors.......very interesting to me.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
I didn't work my entire life to make other RV'ers happy with what I choose to drive or pull.
Good point!

And so is Don's just above my post.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
This topic, like the Kardashians, gets WAY more press than it deserves. It’s really a non-issue.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
This topic, like the Kardashians, gets WAY more press than it deserves. It’s really a non-issue.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I don't get your point. Are we suppose to be envious? I worked hard for 35 years, sometimes two jobs. I retired at 55 and now I'm reaping and enjoying the benefits of my hard work. If I had to be that uncomfortable, I wouldn't go camping.

Your coach may be perfect for driving down to the beach and good for you. We like to travel all across America and that just wouldn't work. Lastly, the ten year rule really has nothing to do with keeping out the general RVing public. It's about giving the private campground owner the ability to avoid rolling meth labs and not having to go through the eviction process when they can't get rid of a clunker.

If I were a beach guy, knowing how hard the salt air is a on a coach, I might have something like yours....different strokes for different folks.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #20

It's amazing to me what things seem to bother other people. Perhaps the OP just likes his rig, and IMHO, that seems all right. Why the hassle?

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #21

Does it matter really, the owners of those campgrounds can do as they please it’s theirs. It would be nice to own a business you can turn away customers.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #22

To the OP. I like your rig and your attitude toward simplicity. My own story is that throughout my life I've been working my way up from a van to a trailer to an old motorhome, to a newer motorhome, and finally to a DP. There have been many times on that journey I wish I would have stuck with the van!

I really admire minimalists like you and I also admire those who enjoy this RV lifestyle with some true budget rigs! Families who want to show their children the joys of travel so jump in with what they can afford. I love camping next to you, and hearing your stories and seeing that you have just as much fun as I do. Keep posting!

As to parks with their 10 year age rule, I understand them too. I've seen the flip side of the rustic lifestyle- the traveling "homeless" that leave oil slicks and garbage staying in Walmarts until evicted then moving on a few miles to the next one... I try not to judge those folks but to many, when they see old rigs, that is what they think!
Old 04-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Here's my question.....why do people with older rigs find the need to justify why they have older rigs. There is a similar thread running on here called "How Very Boring of Me". Again, talking about how they have an older rig and why they don't need a new one. Why is there a need to post these type of threads?

We all buy what we can afford. When we were younger raising kids, we couldn't afford a fancy rig and had a few used rigs through the years. As time went by, we became more comfortable. We actually thought marrying off our two daughters would leave us with unlimited funds, but that wasn't true, they cost us as much or more now......primarily because of grandkids.

I know people make choices on what they drive. Some do specific camping, like desert or beach and don't need anything fancy. Our friends drive their older rig to a piece of property they bought and go boating. They spent their money on the property and boat and the rig works out perfectly. Some have medical issues that drained their savings. No matter what your place is in life, just enjoy what you have and the camping lifestyle.

I have a relatively nice coach and I'm anal about keeping it looking nice. With that said, I like to visit my neighbors when we camp and I usually carry enough tools and spare parts to often help them make a repair if necessary. I don't look down on what anyone camps in. When were parked in the campground, were all just people there to have a good time. I like meeting new people in campgrounds and shooting the breeze with the neighbors.......very interesting to me.
Wasn't going to comment before, but for some people this is there admission into the lifestyle. Its the same with motorcycles, sometimes people who show up with older, but not classic models get shunned. Nobody wants to be beside a POS, but anything well maintained is OK with me. I love new rigs, but will not own one right now since the old rig has been updated and is doing well. I am sure I would like to meet you in a campground and probably share an adult beverage or two. Pick your mind about everything that you have learned and where I might want to head next. The OP may also have some interesting comments to add to the conversation.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:21 AM   #24

Happy to share a fire with anyone here...

Funny thing is I worked hard all my life too.... I just do not ever see myself with a new RV or new anything...

Been wrenching for fun my whole life so none of my rides have been normal... currently swapping a DT400 motor in Japanese imported Ninja 400 frame... (under 400cc = cheep insurance)...

Here are a few photos of previous RVs:

1989 Delica L300 that I cut the roof off (and raised) and added a bed slide out the hatch and kitchen, furnace

1963 Willys FC170 I swapped a Mercedes 5 Cylinder turbo diesel, turbo400, divorced 205 into Dana 44 and 60 with Trillium trailer on the back (built during my PhD).. It is painted with a roller...

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4253.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	198193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4597.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	198194  

Name:	IMGP9779.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	446.5 KB
ID:	198195   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2392.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	198196  

Name:	IMGP8789.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	198197   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010038.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	198198  

thedjjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:09 AM   #25

fc's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjjack View Post
Happy to share a fire with anyone here...

Funny thing is I worked hard all my life too.... I just do not ever see myself with a new RV or new anything...

Been wrenching for fun my whole life so none of my rides have been normal... currently swapping a DT400 motor in Japanese imported Ninja 400 frame... (under 400cc = cheep insurance)...

Here are a few photos of previous RVs:

1989 Delica L300 that I cut the roof off (and raised) and added a bed slide out the hatch and kitchen, furnace

1963 Willys FC170 I swapped a Mercedes 5 Cylinder turbo diesel, turbo400, divorced 205 into Dana 44 and 60 with Trillium trailer on the back (built during my PhD).. It is painted with a roller...

Cheers
Always loved forward control cabs My BIL has 2 completely restored FC's he got cheap from an old sheep farm, beast off road.
FirstRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstRodeo View Post
Always loved forward control cabs My BIL has 2 completely restored FC's he got cheap from an old sheep farm, beast off road.
Me too!!

My first 4wd was a '47 (?) Willys pickup in the early '60's. Always wanted a FC but never had one.

The FC170 conversion sounds a little like the '69 F250 4wd I put a 6-354 Perkins, Intl. 5 speed, and 2 speed Watson in to haul our 11.5' camper all over the country for 13 years during the '80's and early '90's. That was when the kids were growing up and things were a little tight, but it worked very well for what it was used for. Fun projects.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #27

Quote:

I am the author of that thread, I would love a newer rig if did not have a mortgage and 401k that needs feeding.
Only another 9 years on the montage to go :-)
Old 04-08-2018, 12:44 PM   #28

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
It's amazing to me what things seem to bother other people. Perhaps the OP just likes his rig, and IMHO, that seems all right. Why the hassle?

Steve
Well, it would be quite a forum if each and every one of us starting a thread telling everyone the choices we made were the right one's, and everyone else's were wrong !!