Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2015, 05:29 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
There is Charmin Ultra Strong and Ultra Soft and I have read the Ultra Soft is one of the best at breaking down and working properly and watched some of the tests. I guess everyone needs to do their own test and also think about how much paper they are shoving down the pipe.
As I said before we have the vacuum toilet. It is designed solely to keep me awake wondering not if, but when it decides to quit . So I put up with the minimal one ply TP. Get the worse, then follow up with baby wipes into the trash can.........too much information???
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My solution. Pee paper in ziplock bag. No ppoop or paper in MH toilet. Use campground restroom for poop.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
then follow up with baby wipes into the trash can.........too much information???
Not really too much. Someone else mentioned that they do not put the pee rags down the toilet but in the trash. My wife decided this is the best method years ago and it really saves on space down there. The wipes are great too. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:16 PM   #32

Elsewhere in this forum are the test results I've pasted below. I noticed there are 3 different Charmin tissues tested with a huge difference:

From a Good House Keeping web site (gone now)
Brand...........................................Di ssolving Time in Seconds
(lowest is best)
Charmin Plus 1-Ply..................................9
MD 2-Ply............................................... ....9
Coronet 2-Ply..........................................12
Angel Soft 2-Ply......................................12
Scott 1-Ply..............................................1 7
Soft 'N Gentle 1-Ply ...............................18
Soft Weve 1-Ply.....................................20
Marcal 1-Ply...........................................20
Soft 'N Gentle 2-Ply...............................21
Seventh Generation 2-Ply.....................21
Quilted Northern Super 2-Ply ...............69
Charmin Ultra 2-Ply ..............................77
Cottonelle 1-Ply ....................................96
Charmin 1-Ply .....................................180

The TPs with an Excellent disintegration rating from a Aug 2000 Consumer Report article are:

Albertson's Soft Choice Ultra
Safeway Select Softly Ultra
Quilted Northern Ultra Soft
Quilted Nothern Soft Prints
Target
Kroger
Angel Soft
Charmin Plus with Unscented Natural Aloe
SoftWeve
Drivingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #33
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
There is Charmin Ultra Strong and Ultra Soft and I have read the Ultra Soft is one of the best at breaking down and working properly and watched some of the tests. I guess everyone needs to do their own test and also think about how much paper they are shoving down the pipe.

The Charmin Ultra Soft is what we have been using for 14 years without a problem! I also depend on "Happy Camper Tank Treatment" to dissolve that TP!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:44 PM   #34

10-4 on the Happy Camper Tank Treatment MS!
Stuffs the Best!! 😎

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Lovin2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:54 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We use septic safe Tp, and I bought one of these just incase. Only needed it once so far in 5 years.
Merry Christmas,
Tim
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41BgMx5v1IL.jpg
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #36
YC1

Don is a modificartion guru. If his fix does not help then dump the rv instead of the toilet. His explanation makes a lot of sense. I found my black tank vent pipe almost to the bottom of the black tank. This created some interesting issues.

RV makers provide most of the parts to an rv. Very few guarantee they will all work at the same time nor will they necessarily work well.

This forum is full of experienced rvers and field engineers. That is, people learning how to improve marginal systems.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:17 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
My motorhome's sewage system was poorly designed. My gravity discharge toilet dumps directly into a small portion of the black tank, which in turn drains into the main black tank. I found out a long time ago that using the wrong type of toilet tissue can result in sewage clogs.

Like many of you, I found that RV toilet tissue is no better than many of the regular toilet tissues sold for home use. We used Angel Soft for many years with decent results. We then discovered that Sam's Club toilet tissue worked well, and it was a lot nicer to the bum...

I subscribe to several RV blog's and YouTube channels. I was watching a YouTube channel recently where the author conducted toilet tissue tests. The clear winner of his test was Charmin Ultra toilet tissue. Thinking it may work better then Sam's Club tissue, we bought a pack of Charmin Ultra before heading out on our current trip. 24 hours into our trip and we have suffered the worst toilet clog we've ever experienced. All a result of the toilet tissue creating a mound below the toilet discharge. This leads me to believe that the common toilet tissue test of shaking a sheet of toilet tissue in a jar of water isn't exact science.

Heading to a local supermarket today to pick up a pack of Angel Soft until we can get to a Sam's Club.

The moral of my story of course, is if it ain't broke, don't fix it…

Craig
Fill the small portion of the black tank with water after you dump the dump the black tank.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:58 PM   #38

I'd recommend also that you flush with twice the normal water you'd otherwise use.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #39

Gulf Streamers Club
We also practice the NO PAPER in the RV toilet. After we returned from our AK 3 month trip we also put this practice into use at home because we have a septic tank and are NOT on city sewer. We have had problems with our septic tank backing up and hope this new procedure will make the tank at home function better an NOT have to be pumped a often.
We have been RVing for many years and several different types of RVs without septic problems. We have always flushed and rinsed the holing tank often and used plenty of water.
wagonmaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster1 View Post
We also practice the NO PAPER in the RV toilet. After we returned from our AK 3 month trip we also put this practice into use at home because we have a septic tank and are NOT on city sewer. We have had problems with our septic tank backing up and hope this new procedure will make the tank at home function better an NOT have to be pumped a often.
We have been RVing for many years and several different types of RVs without septic problems. We have always flushed and rinsed the holing tank often and used plenty of water.
No paper, how does that work??
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #41

What are you folks doing that is sooooooooooo different??

In 45+ yrs of RVing have never had a toilet clog up, a waste tank plug up or any issues from using ANY toilet paper.
I like my TP ----------none of that cheap thin tissue either. Thick/fluffy and a handful of it.

Gravity toilets require water..............fill the bowl full prior to flushing if pooping or whenever TP is used.

Dump when waste tank is full........water is heavy. Need the weight and volume to carry the stuff out. A slow flowing shallow creek will barely disturb a pebble BUT a fast flowing river will move boulders.

After dump.........quick rinse then leave a few gallons of water in tank so bottom stays wet.

Simple.

Don't use/need any of those chemicals either. If the 'vapor barriers' work then no smells. If you can smell it..find/fix the defective vapor barrier.

Again.......Simple
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #42

wow.

Poop paper, pee paper. No paper, paper in waste basket.

I am not a squeamish guy, but this is a bit too much info for me, or at minimum, makes me think there is a list of motor homes I may not want to visit.

I have a tendency to pre-fill the toilet bowl half way, so that when my family uses it, the bowl will be wet, and anything they flush will already be wet when it goes down. I instruct them (but they only listen sometimes) to re-fill the bowl after they flush.

This is how my toilets at home work. We do not void into dry bowls, nor flush dry paper (or partially dry) anywhere.

If I knew of a way to prefill the bowl, as my toilets at home automatically do, I would love it.

Other than that, I do not do what many here are speaking of.

One last thing. Regardless of how much is in my black tank when it is time to empty it, I fill it to the top with water. When necessary, I'll just leave the toilet flushing for a while. Then I drain the black, then rinse with the grey water...
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote