Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #1
D-S

National RV Owners Club
My weird Invertor story

I have read somewhere within this forum about inverters. LEARNING!!!!
Previously I have posted about lost power to the bedroom receptacles, and had loads of info concerning that but no solution....
However, after reading about inverters I learned that they basically supply power to the receptacles in the MH, and it would save running our gen set. I never used our inverter so it was not switched on, we always had shore power or either run the generator. So I decided to try ours out while working a rodeo last weekend. When I switched it on I found I had power to the bedroom receptacles,,,,glory glory, but confused as to why....

No inverter = no power to bedroom receptacles, not even with gen running.
Inverter on, with or without gen running = power to bedroom receptacles,

Confused.... as to why when I use our inverter alone, ONLY the bedroom receptacles will work and nothing else, running the generator along with inverter I obviously have power everywhere.

I know I haven't all the information needed concerning our Inverter for a 2003 National Dolphin, (however I believe I read where it might be a 600 watt) but could that be the reason? small inverter?

Thanks for reading!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2015, 04:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-S View Post
I know I haven't all the information needed concerning our Inverter for a 2003 National Dolphin, (however I believe I read where it might be a 600 watt) but could that be the reason? small inverter?

If it is that small, then yes that is likely the reason. Might only be meant to power the TV and DVD player, etc in the bedroom.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:24 PM   #3

It sounds like your inverter is designed to make sure something like a TV works. When it is on and you do not have AC then the inverter uses 12 VDC from your battery to make 120 VAC to the socket. When the AC is on those systems depend on the battery charging current to make up for the power used by the inverter. When you turn off the inverter no AC. Cheap and reasonable for low wattage like 600 W which would be about right for an old CRT TV.

More sophisticated inverters have a relay and a connection to the AC supply so they can switch to the AC source when present. You probably do not have that but if you find an AC feed that is why it is there. If you go to the couple thousand watt RV type inverter/converter setups they will have the relay.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
What make and model of inverter do you have.

On your main distribution panel does it have breakers labeled inverter. Is there a separate subpanel that is labeled inverter.

I have a trace inverter 2000W. The way it is wired is that there are 2 separate breakers on my main panel that say Inverter 1 & 2. There 2 breakers supply power to the inverter. There is also a Inverter subpanel that has the breakers for the circuit it controls.

Internally the Inverter has it's own switching device. If the inverter is not on and we are plugged into shore power the power is switched to 120 Volt circuit and simply passes the power through it to the subpanel. If we are not hooked to power and the inverter is turned on it provides power and it is internally switched to send power to the subpanel.

Not all systems are the same. That's why it would help to know what make/model/size of inverter you have.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
D-S......Large inverters have what is called an A/C pass thru. When the coach is hooked to shore power, the shore power PASSES through the inverter and powers everything the inerter powers. A small inverter, like a 600 watt, will not have a pass thru. Is it possible that a previous owner, installed the inverter and added extra outlets to your coach.

Typically, builders don't install outlets that are not powered by both.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:32 PM   #6
D-S

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
D-S......Large inverters have what is called an A/C pass thru. When the coach is hooked to shore power, the shore power PASSES through the inverter and powers everything the inerter powers. A small inverter, like a 600 watt, will not have a pass thru. Is it possible that a previous owner, installed the inverter and added extra outlets to your coach.

Typically, builders don't install outlets that are not powered by both.

it look like everything is factory,, will post a pic of our inverter this weekend for all to see!
Old 11-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #7
D-S

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Not all systems are the same. That's why it would help to know what make/model/size of inverter you have.
I will post a picture of our inverter by this weekend!
Old 11-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #8

"....... I learned that they basically supply power to the receptacles in the MH, and it would save running our gen set."

I read through the post and just wanted to remind you that the Inverter is running off of your batteries. It's only with properly charged batteries that the inverter is going to do it's job.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #9
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Check very close on the face of the inverter. Use a flashlight. See if there is a reset function. I think one of my inverters did that on a previous rv.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:30 PM   #10

Inverters have 115v pass thru's, they either have a separate sub panel or reset breakers in inverter. I have had to reset my inverter breakers a few times in the last few years.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayward3411 View Post
Inverters have 115v pass thru's, they either have a separate sub panel or reset breakers in inverter. I have had to reset my inverter breakers a few times in the last few years.

Not necessarily so. This totally depends up the inverter and how it's installed.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:13 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A bit inaccurate

NO inverter, all breakers set (on not tripped) shore power or generator (Which by the way has its own breakers) you should have power everywhere.

INVERTER.. Not this can get confusing.. The inverter has two sets modes in some cases

On/OFF and Invert/Standby.

ON SOME Inverters. For example the Prosine line..
ON with shore power (or generator power) Forces standby, In this mode the inverter is either just sitting there collecting dust, or charging the batteries (Depending on the condition of another switch, But I'm going to not mention the charging feature further)

Power is passed from Shore to load. .it is monitored for voltage and frequency however.

IF incoming voltage, frequency (or in the case of Prosine waveform) fall out of the pre-set range (Prosine lets you make some adjustments there) it will switch to INVERTER mode and provide power to the loads.

This includes loss of shore or generator power. ONLY selected outlets get power however.

INVERTER may be forced into standby by a switch, or set to automatic (Works as described above)

INVERTER OFF: (This is the big red switch on the inverter itself)
NO POWER goes anywhere.. Nothing passes, Nothing converted, nothing inverted. N O power to the selected outlets.

NOTE: Inverters, if you have one, have their own circuit breaker panel. IT MAY be part of the inverter (often these are push button things, Push (Hard) to reset) or it may be a box or panel elsewhere, mine is elsewhere.