Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
My Weldex backup camera quit and how I almost lost faith in humanity!

This little story begins Friday August 17 as I arrive at a local campground and upon shifting into reverse, my backup camera doesn't work, just a black screen with distance markers. The next Tuesday, I call the service Dept at my dealer and explain the problem. The service Manager tells me that they are not a Weldex dealer and do not know if they can get parts for it, she proceeds to flip though a catelog and says " nope , no Weldex cameras is my catelog". I then ask if they can at least look at it and she replies that service is 2 weeks out. I tell her that I need it the following weekend, can I make an appointment for monday in 2 weeks? She now informs me that it has to be there to be in line for service and the last backup camera they worked on, took 8 months to get parts!
The more I think about the conversation, the madder I get, so its off to iRV2.com to research Weldex camera problems. A common name keeps popping up in the threads, RV Cams Inc, www.rvcams.com , so I look them up and give them a call. A real honest to goodness person answers the phone and I explain my problem. Chuck says it is impossible to diagnose over the phone but if I will ship it to him, he will diagnose the problem for FREE and call me back. So tuesday afternoon, I remove the camera and monitor and box it up to ship Wednesday.
This is where the story gets fun. Thursday after i get off work, I load my tractor on my gooseneck in order to go pickup a Sidewinder Rotary clipper that I had purchased off of Craigs List. About 3/4 of the way to pick up the mower, I have a blowout on the trailer. I get out my trusty iPhone and find a tire store 2 miles away, 4:45 and he is closed eventhough the sign says 5:00. The fire Dept is across the street and I ask the firemen about a tire and informed that I must go back 10 miles to a larger town. I ask if I can unload the tractor and leave it there and they agree to babysit while I am gone.
As I am headed back to the other town, Chuck calls and has found that my monitor is fine but my camera is bad and that they do not have my camera in stock, it is on order but hasn't arrived yet. He then informs me that he will call the next day and find out when the camera will be in and let me know.
I go to Sam's first and ack for a 16.5 inch 10 ply trailer tire and am told that they do not carry trailer tires. I next go to Wal-mart and ask the lady for the same tire, she goes in the back and returns carrying a 12 inch utility trailer tire and wheel with a tape measure measuring the outside diameter of the tire. I try to explain but to no avail. Sears is my next stop, they have never heard of a 16.5 inch tire. TSC will have it! Nope. A big John Deere dealer is my last hope, nope, but while I am here I might as well get blades for the mower. NOt in stock, will have to be ordered and they need model number and serial number, fair enough, Ive got to come back this way tomorrow to pick up the cutter anyway.
Friday afternoon, I borrow a trailer and go to the fire dept to load tractor. I load the mower without any problems. Chuck calls and is having my camera shipped next day and it should be in his hands monday morning, he will call me monday. I head back to the John Deere dealer and get a different parts person. I have all the information but he tells me that they aren't a dealer for Sidewinder and cant get parts, I explain that the day before I was shown a parts book with the parts in it. Ten minutes later he comes back and informs me that they can get some parts, just not the ones I need, figures!
Monday morning, Chuck calls and has my camera ready to ship. I have a delivery notice that it will arrive tommorrow, Tuesday, and an invoice emailed to me. I wonder if Chuck knows where I can get blades for a Sidewinder mower and 16.5 inch tires?
If you have backup camera problems, Call Chuck at RV Cams Inc!!!!!!!

Roger And Kim Goodwin
bout them DAWGS!!
Roger G is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Well, it could'a been worse. <G>

John Price
2016 Denali 289RK w/a Hensley Arrow Hitch
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummings
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
I wish I have known Chuck awhile back.....after all the trips back to Lazy Days to get my monitor fixed, they dissapointed me. they said that they replaced the bad one, but all they did was replace it with a rebuilt one. My warranty finally ran out and I have lived with the monitors intermitten operation never knowing when it would go out or come back on.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Nice story telling.....very entertaining.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
And I bet there were no cuss words said during any of this......
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV
G.G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
And to add insult to injury, I woke up Saturday morning to water running out the garage from the hot water heater. Called my brother to come help put a new one in, he threw out his back, diagnosed with a herniated disc this morning, possible surgery. Since Isaac is headed my way, Sunday I decided to crank the generator is case we lose power, 250 miles from the coast but it still could get nasty. So ..... Engine runs but no electricity, breaker won't reset! Oh by the way, cuss words were present during most of my trials over the past week but I decided nothing happened that a cold Dos Equis and a credit card wouldn't fix! Well maybe not my brothers back!
Roger And Kim Goodwin
bout them DAWGS!!
Roger G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the more interesting things about that back up monitor is that I suspect that, like mine, you can put just about ANY Camera on the back of the rig (That is any back up camera, Weldex, Viewsonic, (to name two) and the monitor won't know the difference.

the system I have (Forget the name) has two inputs, Now these inputs have special plugs that you just can not buy but a bit of work with a knife and a solder gun one of them now has RCA (Phono) fittings, the 4 wires are Power Ground Audio and Video.. The cheap "Bolt' Type camera off E-bay I put near the gas cap (I drive a gasser) not only works just fine with the monitor. but is in full color.

I select Video B.. PUll up beside the pump while watching the monitor, and when the pump is in the center of the screen (Well the hose) shut down and fill her up.

Sure beates the old "Move 3 feet more forward honey" method.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Look on the positive side. It's not costing you money to buy parts.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:16 AM   #9
Try this, for less than $60 you get 2 camereas and a monitor witha remote.
7" TFT LCD Color Video Car Rearview Headrest Monitor DVD VCR VCD Backup Camera | eBay
New Car Vehicle Rear View 170 Angle Backup Camera Reverse | eBay
Dan Asbjornsen and Patty Chatman and Sadie the Wonder dog.
1995 Winnebago Vectra 35RQ Cummis 6BTA5.9 Allisn MD3060 6 speed. Spartan WC-2242 chassis
toad is 1986 "last of a bread" Jeep CJ7 Auto..
kb7uxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
Good story, sorry about your troubles but I did smile. Add a couple of ahh shucks in there and you could have a Seajay story.
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
You should have bought a Lotto Ticket that day!

YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote