Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2006, 09:51 AM   #1

Does anyone watch the <span class="ev_code_RED">"MythBuster"</span> shows ?

They proved that a pickup truck with the <span class="ev_code_RED">standard tailgate</span> on it and <span class="ev_code_RED">in the closed position</span> got better mileage than a truck with the gate down or off. ???

And they showed why ..... thats the important part.

Destroys the theory of a vented tailgate or no tailgate giving better miles per gallon...

Don't you love it when Science proves or disproves a theory ??

The MythBuster shows are fantastic... learn something new every time..

<span class="ev_code_RED">MythBusters is on the Discovery Channel..</span>

John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2006, 09:51 AM   #2

Does anyone watch the <span class="ev_code_RED">"MythBuster"</span> shows ?

They proved that a pickup truck with the <span class="ev_code_RED">standard tailgate</span> on it and <span class="ev_code_RED">in the closed position</span> got better mileage than a truck with the gate down or off. ???

And they showed why ..... thats the important part.

Destroys the theory of a vented tailgate or no tailgate giving better miles per gallon...

Don't you love it when Science proves or disproves a theory ??

The MythBuster shows are fantastic... learn something new every time..

<span class="ev_code_RED">MythBusters is on the Discovery Channel..</span>

John

Old 01-04-2006, 10:13 AM   #3

Very interesting. But it must have been very difficult to prove as I'm sure there is very little difference in gate or no gate. How much change did they claim?
Old 01-04-2006, 10:24 AM   #4

yes I saw that show and agree with their findings. I watch often & I especially liked the episode where they cleaned dried concrete out of a concrete truck with dynamite and eventually used lots of explosives to vaporize the whole truck.

Back to the tailgate argument, the difference in mileage is minimal considering what an 11 foot tall fiver does to milege. I normally get about 11.5 MPG pulling our fiver on a certain route at 65 MPH. Over the Christmas holidays, I fought a 40 MPH headwind and got 8 MPG at 60 MPH over same route and same weight. Only difference was the wind. Felt like I was dragging a couple of big parachutes around.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #5

Hi LUG NUT,

I forget the exact miles that the closed tailgate traveled farther than the open tailgate... but it was substantial number.

But the idea of my post is to show that the show MythBusters is fun to watch and although their methods used to test a theory may not be of a conventional means,,...

It does get us to thinking about it....

In this case, I have always believed that the closed tailgate was better in the closed position regardless of whether I was towing a trailer or not.

There are others who believe the opposite is true..

So I guess there will always be a discussion (argument?) over which is correct, huh ??

best wishes,
John
Old 01-04-2006, 10:41 AM   #6

Hi TWO BIT,
Yeah, that was a good show. But did you see the one about firing a gun into water to test the theory that a person can escape from the bad guys by diving under water because the bullets could not hurt them there ?

Absolutely fasinating... They proved that even the 50 caliber bullet would disintegrate when fired into as little as a couple of feet of water..

Showing that if a person were to dive under water for about three feet he was safe from being shot...

Wow !! what a show...

John
Old 01-04-2006, 11:25 AM   #7

They tested the theory using two identical trucks (same weight inside too) following the same route at the same time at the same speed...etc. The truck with the tailgate down ran out of gas first. The truck with the tailgate up ran another twenty to fifty miles. Would you see the difference in MPG? Probably not much.

To demo why, they put a model of the truck in a homemade water (wind) tunnel. They put some potato flakes in the water to show how the water (air) made a nice smooth hump over the bed with the tailgate closed. With the tailgate open, there was a lot of turbulence behind the cab in the bed.

Now, they need to redo this and see if there is a difference towing a fiver or a TT. I'll hazard a guess that the fiver completely messes up the theory of the air hump staying in the bed.

Bruce
Old 01-04-2006, 12:23 PM   #8

Funny that you should mention that Bruce,

I have just sent a message to the MythBuster's show asking if they could/would do a segment about the "Vented" tailgates vs the standard tailgate when pulling a 5th wheel trailer.

Maybe I'll get an answer back, although I doubt it..

John
Old 01-04-2006, 01:49 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
GM also tested this and found trucks get better milage with the tailgate up. If they could get better milage with the tailgate down I,m sure they would have designed some type of vented tailgate by now.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:37 PM   #10

Those shows are great and the guys very entertaining. I have noticed a millage diff. using a tonoe cover vs open back with tailgate. i always got better millage using the cover. i don't know if maybe I got a airodynamic push or what but it works. Scotty.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:45 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
Great thread John. I'm with Scotty - I think my tonue cover helps too.

21.6 mpg from Minneapolis to Tucson and back in November (Dodge Cummins Diesel 2005) Solo/no trailer. 65mph
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:53 PM   #12

We have all seen the movies where the hero dives into the river or lake and the bad guys try to shoot him, but he comes out alive..

MythBusters wanted to see if it was true that you could shoot someone under the water and not kill him..

It had nothing to do with "refraction" of light in the water causing the bullet to miss..

What they proved was that the friction or drag or whatever, of the water would slow the bullet down so it could not hit the person in the water, if that person were below the surface..

They fired handguns , rifles, shotgun and then .... the US military 50 caliber gun !!

The only weapon that even came close to hitting the underwater "person" was the hand gun.. because it propelled a slower moving heavy bullet.

The shotgun shattered the test tank and they had to then move the testing to a local swimming pool..

They used "Gel" stuff to represent the human body. We have seen that used in their test before.

All the rifle bullets shattered, or disintegrated within 2 to 3 feet under the surface of the water..

Yep ... even the big 50 caliber bullet shattered into small tiny fragments within two feet under the surface of the water, and slowly settled down to the bottom of the pool.

They proved that the movies were correct in portraying the hero being safe from bullets if he dove into a body of water and was at least two feet down from the surface..

The worst scenario would be if the bad guy used a 45 caliber pistol and was directly over the hero who was less than 5 feet under from the water surface.

AND .... even then, the bullet would not penetrate the human body more than a couple of inches.. so unless the bullet hit your eye, spinal cord in the neck area or other soft area of the body, like the liver, it would not kill you..

But like Jamie and Adam said, they would not want to be a Guinea pig in the test..

MythBusters is a fantastic show.. I always have a hard choice between them and "Mail Call" if they happen to come on at the same time.

John