Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2018, 06:19 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You may also find, the $47K is what he owes and that's why he won't budge. When I'm selling something, I don't negotiate on the phone. I tell them, come and look and then we can negotiate.

I would go look, show him the NADA value and if you really like it, tell him your credit union wont finance above NADA. When/if he sees you're serious, he may deal.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2018, 06:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I found some in that ballpark on rv trader. Here is a list of all pace arrows in your size range that have sold in the last two years at ppl. These are actual sale prices. Cheers
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/class-...006+TO+2010%5d
Thats great, so two 2006 of the same models sold for 54k this year.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:39 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
You may also find, the $47K is what he owes and that's why he won't budge. When I'm selling something, I don't negotiate on the phone. I tell them, come and look and then we can negotiate.
I would go look, show him the NADA value and if you really like it, tell him your credit union wont finance above NADA. When/if he sees you're serious, he may deal.
This amazes me. Folks buy a motorhome and make piddly payments on it for a decade and now its time to sell. Oh gee... how does my payoff balance only read $47,000????

Last year I was looking for a newer coach for my dad. 20 of 20 inquiries did not have clear title.

I bought my coach from a lady that did not have clear title. I got it at a price I felt was reasonable. I spent a whole day of my time educating her bank middle managers and a senior loan officer...that Im not releasing any funds until someone either joins me at the DMV to absolve the lien & reassign or produces the document to close the sale. (they all told me 4-6 wks) This lady thought I was just going to give her 25 large and trust she's going to get me the title a month later? I should have lowballed even more.
At 4pm someone with a clue at the bank showed up and printed up the necessary paper work inside of 20 minutes.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
This amazes me. Folks buy a motorhome and make piddly payments on it for a decade and now its time to sell. Oh gee... how does my payoff balance only read $47,000????

Last year I was looking for a newer coach for my dad. 20 of 20 inquiries did not have clear title.

I bought my coach from a lady that did not have clear title. I got it at a price I felt was reasonable. I spent a whole day of my time educating her bank middle managers and a senior loan officer...that Im not releasing any funds until someone either joins me at the DMV to absolve the lien & reassign or produces the document to close the sale. (they all told me 4-6 wks) This lady thought I was just going to give her 25 large and trust she's going to get me the title a month later? I should have lowballed even more.
At 4pm someone with a clue at the bank showed up and printed up the necessary paper work inside of 20 minutes.

Thats interesting you mention title, if I ask the seller if the title is clear it will tell me if there is a loan on it.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

Hi Don,

Great advice.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:05 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
PPL has a 2008 37C with three slides "images coming soon" and priced at 60,995. Again, asking price.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:25 PM   #21

Mid Atlantic Campers
Your getting some real good advice here. What you should worry about is you will disregard it all and let you and more likely) your wife emotions to cause you to over pay. Bring your wife, (not doing so will be a bigger headache than over paying would be), talk privately, way far away from the seller. If you both agree you like, keep her FAR FAR AWAY from your discussion. Offer a low price that is not a lowball (research!!). If you plan to pay cash, write a check, his name, the price, hand it to him. Make him hand it back if he's not intreated than head for the car and don't look back. Just make sure he's got your cell number. Expect a call less than 5 miles down the road.

Remember, you are in the power position, you have the money, he wants the money. Don't let emotion rule, you will over pay!!
nightmission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:36 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageksl View Post
PPL has a 2008 37C with three slides "images coming soon" and priced at 60,995. Again, asking price.
Thanks,

Will check that out.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:47 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmission View Post
Your getting some real good advice here. What you should worry about is you will disregard it all and let you and more likely) your wife emotions to cause you to over pay. Bring your wife, (not doing so will be a bigger headache than over paying would be), talk privately, way far away from the seller. If you both agree you like, keep her FAR FAR AWAY from your discussion. Offer a low price that is not a lowball (research!!). If you plan to pay cash, write a check, his name, the price, hand it to him. Make him hand it back if he's not intreated than head for the car and don't look back. Just make sure he's got your cell number. Expect a call less than 5 miles down the road.

Remember, you are in the power position, you have the money, he wants the money. Don't let emotion rule, you will over pay!!
Thanks, great strategy.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:33 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Thats interesting you mention title, if I ask the seller if the title is clear it will tell me if there is a loan on it.
Very good point.

When I listed my RV ( 2013 trailer) last fall got 4-5 low ball phone offers. Not a single person was willing to view it in person. One offer was $1,000 below what I felt was my lowest amount I would go. For the heck of it I received a trade in offer $3500 more than the highest low ball offer. So I could have screwed myself.

Personally I do not like over the phone negotiations.

I would go down and look at the rig with your wife, but coach her not to get excited in front of the owner. Down play it a little. Took us 18 months of tire kicking, once the wife saw the one we bought, her mind was made up in 15 minutes of looking at it.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:12 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Very good point.

When I listed my RV ( 2013 trailer) last fall got 4-5 low ball phone offers. Not a single person was willing to view it in person. One offer was $1,000 below what I felt was my lowest amount I would go. For the heck of it I received a trade in offer $3500 more than the highest low ball offer. So I could have screwed myself.

Personally I do not like over the phone negotiations.

I would go down and look at the rig with your wife, but coach her not to get excited in front of the owner. Down play it a little. Took us 18 months of tire kicking, once the wife saw the one we bought, her mind was made up in 15 minutes of looking at it.
I really was not trying to negotiate over the phone, Inwas juat trying to figure out where he got valuation from as it was originall 10k over Nada average retail.

When I get the Vin I will get the build sheet from Fleetwood and figure out if the value is right.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:34 PM   #26

Personally I could care less what NADA thinks an older coach is worth, their methodology seems to be all over the board, and is not even depreciation based on specific units. They seem to think all 15-19 year old 30 ft class A's are worth the exact same amount regardless if they were an entry level model that sold for $65,000 new, or a upper level model that sold for $120,000.

For me it is all about build quality and condition, and 90% of the 10+ year old coaches that I have seen on the market have neither. Being stored indoors and well maintained and upgraded go a long way. A couple of months ago I was at PPL in Houston, I was in the area and had time to kill, my thoughts on the majority of the units there were in the you would have to pay me to take this thing category. So when looking at selling prices on the PPL web page I keep condition in mind.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:46 AM   #27

If you do the research you will get a feel for what the unit is worth. That takes time but as mentioned before you can't do too much research. I would at least go look at the unit, it may not be what the seller says it is and you can move on.

I've found it best to negotiate the price on the phone after looking at it. I never comment on the price of something before looking at it because you don't know the condition.

It's unlikely he will stick to his asking price, at least if it's been for sale for a couple of weeks. You can always make an offer and gauge his reaction. If he rejects your offer, wait and call him back in a week or so. Generally most things rarely sell for more that they are worth especially toys.
Good luck.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #28

Thanks both,

I have put a lot of research in to this. It seems this model sells at higher than nada average. Also one thing I have noticed is the interiors are nicer than comparable modela from orher companies.

If would be willing to pay up to about 42k if its in top notch condition.

Tags
ada, advice