RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #1

Nada valuations and purchasing from a private party advice

Hi,

I am in discussion with an owner of a Fleetwood Pace Arrow who is looking for 47000 for it, nada average retail
is 40000.

I am hoping to go see the coach later this week. Wanted to go today but socked in with an ice storm :-(

The seller told me he came up with the price from comparable year coaches selling online.

I would happily pay the 40k nada average retail for it, after talking on the phone with the guy he said his price is firm though.

Should I go view it even though I know he won't budge?

I am afraid my wife will see it and want to pull the trigger straight away on it and pay want he wants. I will getting a credit union loan and they told me they will
only will let me borrow the nada average retail value.

I would be selling my coach for about 18k but will need that cash to pay for the sales tax, any upgrades and put 6k in the bank as a contingency fund.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Stephen

Edit: I am happy to sit tight until the price comes down

Unicorn Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2018, 11:21 AM   #2

If a seller won't sell (after appropriate negotiation) for a price that a buyer is willing to pay then it's time to move on down the road and keep looking.

I doubt he got his selling price from what others are selling for on the open market. I suspect he got his price from what others are ASKING on the open market. Asking and selling are two different things.

If you allow emotions and desire to drive your buying price up to his asking price that's a personal matter and not a business matter. You (and the boss lady) have to make that decision.

I've always found it better and easier to negotiate in person than sight unseen on the phone. Another direction may be to simply wait a month or so and if it's still available the seller may be a little more motivated. Since you already have a coach you can take your time and find what you want at a price you believe to be reasonable. There's lots of stuff on the market.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
If a seller won't sell (after appropriate negotiation) for a price that a buyer is willing to pay then it's time to move on down the road and keep looking.

I doubt he got his selling price from what others are selling for on the open market. I suspect he got his price from what others are ASKING on the open market. Asking and selling are two different things.

If you allow emotions and desire to drive your buying price up to his asking price that's a personal matter and not a business matter. You (and the boss lady) have to make that decision.

I've always found it better and easier to negotiate in person than sight unseen on the phone. Another direction may be to simply wait a month or so and if it's still available the seller may be a little more motivated. Since you already have a coach you can take your time and find what you want at a price you believe to be reasonable. There's lots of stuff on the market.
Great advice.

Your correct, that's the asking price he was looking at :-)

I did not make any offers to him, I wanted to know where he was getting his asking price i.e. any upgrades such as solar or suspension.

Maybe I should just go myself and look at it and of the guy will play ball to go back with my wife.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Consider it Research, and you can't do too much Research.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Consider it Research, and you can't do too much Research.

For sure, I am all about research this time round.

When we bought our first coach we had a tight budget, and wanted to purchase local so did not have mich to choose from. The reason I wanted local was I knew I would be back for repairs. I considered this my training coach.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #6

You say the average price is 40000. What is the highend price on nada. You dont tell us what year or model, so it is hard to help in that regard. I find it hard to believe the bank will only lend you money for one in average condition. So if you find one in exceptional condition, or it has had upgrades, you are out of luck. What about an appraisal. Most rvs have sat outside their whole life. If you could find one that was always stored indoors, had multiple upgrades, new tires etc., it would certainly be worth more than the average retail price. I only use nada as a yardstick for what they were worth new. This way you can compare it to another rv when they were new. For used values, look up places like PPL Motors. They tell you what previous units have actually sold for. RV trader, Craigslist, Facebook and other websites can be good places to find asking prices. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
You say the average price is 40000. What is the highend price on nada. You dont tell us what year or model, so it is hard to help in that regard. I find it hard to believe the bank will only lend you money for one in average condition. So if you find one in exceptional condition, or it has had upgrades, you are out of luck. What about an appraisal. Most rvs have sat outside their whole life. If you could find one that was always stored indoors, had multiple upgrades, new tires etc., it would certainly be worth more than the average retail price. I only use nada as a yardstick for what they were worth new. This way you can compare it to another rv when they were new. For used values, look up places like PPL Motors. They tell you what previous units have actually sold for. RV trader, Craigslist, Facebook and other websites can be good places to find asking prices. Good luck.
Hi,

Nada only shows lowand average retail, I have no idea what high retail is. A guy I know in the trade said not to pay more than average.

The coach is a 2005 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c.

It has been kept inside and there are 4 new tires on the rear. He just repaired a fogged window and replaced the microwave/convection oven. He said no upgrades besides TV'S

I have looked on ppl for the model and it did not show a sale price.

An appraiser is a good idea.

Thanks,
Old 04-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #8

Just keep in mind that you still have your coach time is on your side, shop and make sure that the right coach at the right price is what you buy.

I thought we bought our first and last coach 2000 Coachmen 34 ft one slide, but learning about better coaches wanted to provide the wifie more.

We casually started looking at many on rv trader then walla wife runs across one on Facebook market.

Feel like we stole it 2005 Bounder 35E all the records since new two owner all windows replaced from fogging all blinds replaced high end wood tires 4 years old great layout large refrigerator workhorse chassis 64 Thou miles. $ 22,000

So there is one out there depends on how much looking you choose to do.
pop-sicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:25 PM   #9

Some sellers are Emotionally Attached to there items for sale that others. I would go look at it anyway and see the condition. I have advertised vehicles before with a Price matching what others were asking and Reality would say people will not pay that for it. May be what this case is about. If you like what you see Make The Offer what YOU would be willing to pay, He will say one of two answers. Just be respectful.

Back to when I was asking and what was being offered, many times when I let that offer walk I WISH I WOULD HAVE TAKEN IT. When something stays on the market too long people begin to ask what is wrong with the product. I do.

Stick to your guns
Old 04-15-2018, 04:36 PM   #10

Owner likely citing ASKING price not SELLING!
Big difference
Now many have access to selling $ data.

NADA is a Guide but not absolute - IMHO generally they are High especially for a private sale.

Best bet is to do your own research - RVTrader, RVT & iRV2 classifieds - some of them show original ask & current $ as well as how long they have been listed.
Look for similar make / model & +/- 1-2 yrs to get an idea of asking range.

Only you can determine what you are willing to pay based on condition and other choices available.

Good luck w/ the search
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop-sicle View Post
Just keep in mind that you still have your coach time is on your side, shop and make sure that the right coach at the right price is what you buy.

I thought we bought our first and last coach 2000 Coachmen 34 ft one slide, but learning about better coaches wanted to provide the wifie more.

We casually started looking at many on rv trader then walla wife runs across one on Facebook market.

Feel like we stole it 2005 Bounder 35E all the records since new two owner all windows replaced from fogging all blinds replaced high end wood tires 4 years old great layout large refrigerator workhorse chassis 64 Thou miles. $ 22,000

So there is one out there depends on how much looking you choose to do.
Hi,

Your right time is definitely on our side.
Thats a great deal you got on the Bounder :-)
Old 04-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
Some sellers are Emotionally Attached to there items for sale that others. I would go look at it anyway and see the condition. I have advertised vehicles before with a Price matching what others were asking and Reality would say people will not pay that for it. May be what this case is about. If you like what you see Make The Offer what YOU would be willing to pay, He will say one of two answers. Just be respectful.

Back to when I was asking and what was being offered, many times when I let that offer walk I WISH I WOULD HAVE TAKEN IT. When something stays on the market too long people begin to ask what is wrong with the product. I do.

Stick to your guns
I hear you on the emotional attachment, the guy might be underwater with the coach also.

I will indeed stick to my guns :-)
Old 04-15-2018, 05:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Owner likely citing ASKING price not SELLING!
Big difference
Now many have access to selling $ data.

NADA is a Guide but not absolute - IMHO generally they are High especially for a private sale.

Best bet is to do your own research - RVTrader, RVT & iRV2 classifieds - some of them show original ask & current $ as well as how long they have been listed.
Look for similar make / model & +/- 1-2 yrs to get an idea of asking range.

Only you can determine what you are willing to pay based on condition and other choices available.

Good luck w/ the search
I spent a lot of time looking at 2003-2007 models on rvt and rvtrader, his asking price seems a bit lower than the same 2005 models.

The nearest exact model for sale is asking 60k.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #14

I found some in that ballpark on rv trader. Here is a list of all pace arrows in your size range that have sold in the last two years at ppl. These are actual sale prices. Cheers
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/class-...006+TO+2010%5d

Tags
ada, advice