Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2016, 08:46 PM   #1

Nail in Tire - Need Advice

I have a nail in the tread of my 245/70R19.5 front tire. Noticed it when I moved my coach on my drive where I store it. It is not leaking. Have no idea how long it has been there but I only put ~ 400 miles io the motorhome. Do I find a shop and take it there, or do I call a mobile service? I don't think I want to pull it out since it is holding air. I sprayed it with soapy water and no bubbles. This is my first RV so I don't have any relationships with repair businesses in the San Mateo / SF Peninsula area. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Does it look like a big screw? Or a long screw?

Sometimes you can pick up a short or broken screw that does not puncture the inner part of the tire that holds the air.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:00 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Worth taking it to a tire shop. Drive carefully. Do you have a TPMS?
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:07 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well u could get a bottle of slime and put in it after u pull nail out or plug it
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:08 PM   #5

looks like a short nail, maybe a galvanized roof screw.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:10 PM   #6

No TPMS yet but I am researching them and on my list. I did the CHF. Next is a rear trac bar. Next is a safe-t-plus. Then TPMS with enough sensors for my coach and toad. Only short weekend trips for the next few months and I want to spread the purchases out.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:12 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are really brave you could try pulling it if you are going to call a service man. If it does not leak do not make the call.

If you are going to a tire shop I would drive it there and then pull it. If it does not leak, go fill up the fuel tank, have lunch out and head home.

We had a long nail in our tag. The TPMS warned up about the leak. I stopped and was able to hear the hiss. We were close to a town so drove slowly and stopped by a tire shop. Cost 45 to repair and a couple hours later we were on the road.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:13 PM   #8

The nail may not be all the way through the tread.
BUT ; I'd want to be at a tire repair facility ; before I pulled it out .

Note; tire slime or tire plugs may not be legal for repair to a steering tire in your state.

EDIT: My slow typing strikes again, Gordon , beat me to posting with the same info.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I'd want to be at a tire repair facility ; before I pulled it out .
Excellent thoughts from everyone! I have contacted two tire shops that work on truck tires and also RV. While I am a brave man I am conservative and my gut was telling me take the lower risk path. Once again this board has helped me out, thanks!
Old 06-08-2016, 09:24 PM   #10

First find a local truck tire repair shop.

Start pulling on the nail and listen for a leak. If no hiss, pull it out but mark the wheel where you pull it out. If it is shorter then the thickness of the tread, your good to go.

If it leaks, leave it in, check and fill the tire to the max, marked on the tire, and drive it to the truck tire shop.

Every tire manufacture will recommend a internal and external repair. That keeps the air in and the dirt and water out of the layers of the tire.

Plugs pushed in from outside can leak internally and cause the plys to separate. No big deal on a 7 year old worn out tire but good tires deserve proper repairs.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:25 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You want the lower risk path? Get the tire repaired if it leaks, and change it's position to a drive tire, and a good drive tire to the front if it is possible to do so. If not, and the tire leaks where the object used to be, replace it or repair it and keep it as a spare if you don't have one. I wouldn't have a repaired tire on my steering axle except to limp to a tire shop.

Then, if you prefer staying on the lower risk path, get TPMS before you do the other things. Because nothing can cost you money like a blown tire. Those other things are, IMO, lower priority. TPMS is fairly cheap peace of mind.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:40 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
In my many years of trucking, if I took the truck to a tire shop every time it picked up a nail, or something in the tread, I would have spent a lot of time there! Go buy you a quality plug kit at a farm store near you. If the tire is not leaking air, 98% of the time, it (the nail or other) has not punctured all the way through! Get some vice grips, and pull it out! Spray with soapy water, if no bubbles, no worries! If it starts leaking, plug it! If it is a steer tire, drive to the tire shop, and have it patched from the inside, and rotate it back to a drive position, or buy a new tire, and keep the patched one for a spare! Your call! Most tire shops will not patch a steer tire, but if you rotate it back to the drive, (if the same), they will do that for you! Good luck! I am betting on no leak and it did not go all the way through! Rail!
Old 06-08-2016, 09:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
First find a local truck tire repair shop.
Thanks! I searched for "commercial tire store" and found a Goodyear commercial tire service center in Hayward, CA about 12 miles away.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
if I took the truck to a tire shop every time it picked up a nail, or something in the tread, I would have spent a lot of time there!
Excellent point, great perspective!

Tags
advice