Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
NAPA 8146 Replacement Coach Batteries

Need to replace the coach batteries and am looking at a set of NAPA 8146 batteries. Anyone have any experience with this model GC2 batteries? Thanks in advance for the help.

teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I haven't used them so no help there but I did look at them online and the price was $144. I found the Trojan T-105s at a local golf cart shop for $128.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #3

They are a 6-volt 242 AH wet cell battery with a 3 month replacement warranty followed by 21 months prorated. Trojan T-125 is a more known quantity.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #4

The NAPA's are EXIDE batteries and have the same specs. They are NOT comparable directly to the T105 trojans...that is NAPA 8144.
They are directly comparable to the Trojan T125 as Jackfish indicates....both of which have about 4 more pounds of lead than the T105's...for about an 8% increase in capacity. No big whoop...
Any of them will do the job but I'd be inclined to trust the construction of the Trojans a bit more....all other things being equal...but I wouldn't pay more than a 20% premium over a Sam's club GC battery.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
DieHard's

Our MH we bought had 2 Diehard's as coach batteries, One was from 2010 and the other 2011. Had to replace the 2010 last season and now I think the 2011 needs to be replaced. They are there RV batteries, I've never had to replace a battery that fast with the exception of a Delco for my caddie, I have replaced it twice now in the last 2 years.
Can I use a different brand that is better and keep using the one I just replaced last season on the MH?
Thank you,
Tim
spritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Our MH we bought had 2 Diehard's as coach batteries, One was from 2010 and the other 2011. Had to replace the 2010 last season and now I think the 2011 needs to be replaced. They are there RV batteries, I've never had to replace a battery that fast with the exception of a Delco for my caddie, I have replaced it twice now in the last 2 years.
Can I use a different brand that is better and keep using the one I just replaced last season on the MH?
Thank you,
Tim
You always, always, always replace batteries in the same circuit together, never separately.
The bad one will damage the newer one if you don't.
I don't usually promote WalMart, but they have the freshest batteries in most cases. (the same with Sams) Costco is right there too. Always buy the freshest battery you can find
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
You always, always, always replace batteries in the same circuit together, never separately.
The bad one will damage the newer one if you don't.
I don't usually promote WalMart, but they have the freshest batteries in most cases. (the same with Sams) Costco is right there too. Always buy the freshest battery you can find
I sure like this site. I didn't know that, Thank you. I go too Cosco, only been in a Walmart once after they opened a new one by our S&B didn't care for there setup. I'll start shopping.
What should I look for? Deep Cell?
Thanks,Tim
Old 11-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I sure like this site. I didn't know that, Thank you. I go too Cosco, only been in a Walmart once after they opened a new one by our S&B didn't care for there setup. I'll start shopping.
What should I look for? Deep Cell?
Thanks,Tim
I am on another page @ Walmart's site and I can't find RV batteries, IC them for Automotive, Marine, SUV's but no RV. Are they considered Automotive for RV'S? or Marine? or don't it matter?

Thank's Tim
Old 11-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I found the batteries OUCH ranges from $200.00 on up to 5-600.00 Bucks
I also found this and had a good laugh

"Walmart does not sponsor, recommend or endorse any third party product or service, or any customer ideas or advice"

Old 11-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #10

Deep cycle rv/marine is what you want. Be sure you get ones that are sized for your coach and make sure your converter/charger is working correctly or your new ones will be toast real quick.
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Your chances of finding a "deep cycle" battery at any Walmart are slim. "Marine" is as close as they usually get, but a marine battery is a hybrid between a car starter and a real deep cycle. Cheaper than most deep cycles, though. You may also find a "trolling motor battery" in some Walmarts and those are usually a pretty decent hybrid design, with more emphasis on the "deep cycle" part than the typical "marine" battery, whose primary job is still starting a boat engine.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Your chances of finding a "deep cycle" battery at any Walmart are slim. "Marine" is as close as they usually get, but a marine battery is a hybrid between a car starter and a real deep cycle. Cheaper than most deep cycles, though. You may also find a "trolling motor battery" in some Walmarts and those are usually a pretty decent hybrid design, with more emphasis on the "deep cycle" part than the typical "marine" battery, whose primary job is still starting a boat engine.
I saw the trolling motors but didn't think they would apply, wrong again.
How do you know what size to get? I figured the higher cold cranking amps the better the Batteries are. The ones in the MH now are 550 CCA and the ones I am looking at are 700 or 750's? Plus they say something about 100 minutes reserve? Don't know what that means either.
Again Thank's for the help and info.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #13

Spritz... I'm thinking you bought either a starter battery OR a dual purpose battery when you replaced your last one. Some questions...
1. Do you know the SIZE of the battery...usually it will say something like group24 or group27 or group31?
2. Does it have WATER fill caps? If so..how many?
3. Sears has many different types of diehards...what does it say on the label besides diehard.
4. Forget cold cranking amps... reserve amps MIGHT be the deep cycle 20hour amp rate that YOU are concerned with and might indicate a group31 battery.
5. If that battery is a starting or dual purpose battery...You could use that for your chassis battery.. Then put together two REAL deep cycle batteries (using a pair of golf cart batteries from costco or sams...OR finding a place that sells true deep cycle 12V batteries. Deka/East Penn makes a line called marine master that offers them as DC24, DC27 and DC31 that would serve well as a coach battery if you want to stay with wet (add water) type batteries. Most here would suggest that NOW is the time to make the move to golf cart batteries in serial/parallel connection. The connection on those would go like this.

Good luck!
Old 11-24-2013, 03:08 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Spritz... I'm thinking you bought either a starter battery OR a dual purpose battery when you replaced your last one. Some questions...
1. Do you know the SIZE of the battery...usually it will say something like group24 or group27 or group31?
2. Does it have WATER fill caps? If so..how many?
3. Sears has many different types of diehards...what does it say on the label besides diehard.
4. Forget cold cranking amps... reserve amps MIGHT be the deep cycle 20hour amp rate that YOU are concerned with and might indicate a group31 battery.
5. If that battery is a starting or dual purpose battery...You could use that for your chassis battery.. Then put together two REAL deep cycle batteries (using a pair of golf cart batteries from costco or sams...OR finding a place that sells true deep cycle 12V batteries. Deka/East Penn makes a line called marine master that offers them as DC24, DC27 and DC31 that would serve well as a coach battery if you want to stay with wet (add water) type batteries. Most here would suggest that NOW is the time to make the move to golf cart batteries in serial/parallel connection. The connection on those would go like this.

Good luck!
Thank-you I will look into your suggestions. Golf Cart Batteries in a MH (strange.) It was chilly last night around 10 above, and we had installed the new choke pull off and went to start it and wala batteries Dead... I used the emergency start button and it fired off but still running rough until warmed up 2-3 minutes then she comes out of it and runs smooth. Alot better than before we installed the new pull off, but I wonder if the plugs have fouled out because of us starting it numerous times trying to find out the problem the last week. It is always connected to shore power @ the S&B and I remember last week seeing a little red light flickering in the breaker box and there is a plaque that says if it is flickering its charging. It never started flickering last night and now am not sure if that is working. Is there a way of finding out if it is shot? I am not a electrician by any means. I got electricuted a number of years ago and don't want that again... Once was enough. Does the inverter(?) work only with the gennie? I thought that the house batteries charged from the Alternator on the Motor or with the gennie? I will look into the stuff asked above about the batteries in the morning. I know that there are no caps on the top of the batteries. Actually all 3 don't have caps on them
3 AM can't sleep remember she is going to be 32 come March.

Thanks a ton, Tim

Tags
batteries, replace, replacement