Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2016, 10:56 AM   #15

The Senior Discount pass can be bought at age 62. It is ten dollars and is good for life or till you loose it. On our trip to the Grand Canyon and other parks last year it saved is $450. With our trip to Yellowstone and other parks we will definitely use it.

scdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2016, 11:50 AM   #16

[QUOTE=Slolane;2970930]We bought one in January, already got our money's worth, but we're retired and on the road.

One thing that the ranger who sold it to us said - you can have two names on the card. When you buy it only sign one name on the back. You can resell to someone else when you're done with it.

When I can get the Golden Age Passport - Lifetime $20 at age 62 (not that it will be anytime soon ) I'm giving my annual pass to my son.[/

I'm confused.
If you purchased an American the Beautiful pass ($10 for those over 62) it is :
A. Only good for the single person issued too
B. It is good only for YOUR use and lifetime
C. one card will allow the pass holder and those riding in the car entrance to a fee based federal facility
D. If a fee is required for a specific program (ex: the ferry to the Cumberland Natl Seashore) the pass is good only for the pass holder
D. You can not "will" your card to someone else
E. Only one name per card
F this card replaces the "Golden Age Pass" although the GAP is still honored.
When used, the person checking your card is required to also check a valid signed ID
The seller is required to verify the purchasers name, birth date, fill out a log (which is an official federal document and can be audited and all passes must accounted for) and sign the log.
I'm afraid whomever sold you your card also sold you a load of untruth.
How do I know this you ask?? Because I sell those passes for USFWS and I have the regulation right here in front of me.

An annual Park pass cannot be resold either. It is good for 12 months.

Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I have the disabled, "America the Beautiful" access pass

I get 50% off at COE and Outer Banks campgrounds and free entrance to Fed parks.

The odd part is I could drive Sky Line Drive for free but had to pay full price for camping at the Sky Line Drive camping areas.

Now that I am 62, I need to read up on the other pass.

Your disabled pass has exactly the same benefits as the "America the beautiful Pass". Your current pass is good for your lifetime. No reason to change it out .

You did not get a camping discount because that campground is managed by a concessionere. They are not required to honor 1\2 off fees
Some USACOE campgroynds arwe managed by other entities and again may not honor 1\2 off.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:31 PM   #18

My wife and I've had a Golden Age Passport, (now called American the Beautiful pass), for 12 years.

Each year we find that fewer and fewer of the gate attendants, (and/or the persons assigning campsites), at federal facilities understand and apply the discount that that pass is supposed to offer us.

Case in point... today my wife and I were each charged $2.50 for entering the day use area at Juniper Springs in the Ocala National Forest.
In years past the "day use entry fee" was $0 with our golden Age Passport cards, (and which according to the Ocala Nat Forest website is still free with the Golden Age Passport card).

However we're camped at the Salt Springs Ocala National Forest Campground, (where the help is intelligent enough to discount the campsite price the promised 50%).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 03-17-2016, 07:18 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
We were just at Fort Davis TX. Went inside to pay our day fee, the park ranger on duty asked my age. Longer story short I bought a senior pass (age 62 and over) for $10.00. Good for the rest of your life and gets you, and up to three other adults, into any national park in US, Puerto Rico, and Guam. At least that's what the ranger said. Paid for itself the first day. Why wouldn't everybody do that?
Old 03-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #20

We have a senior pass purchased at national park in Va cost ten $10.00 and is good for national and federal parks and is good for life if your 65.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:08 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Until DH qualified for a senior pass recently, we had bought NPS annual passes for years! We figured if you visit 4 parks on average a year you are ahead. Even if we didn't visit that much, I figured it was a donation to the NPS, a very worthy organization. Having the annual pass lets you not even think about the cost of dropping in at the National Monument or Historic site along the way.

You can figure out if you will be ahead of you look at the website for each park. It will show the entry fee, so the calculation is easy.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
The Interagency Senior Pass for $10 in no brainer for those who qualify!
Old 03-20-2016, 10:29 AM   #23

The Senior Pass is available to those age 62 or older. Do not have to be 65. I purchased mine for $10 at a NPS facility as soon as I turned 62. You can purchase the pass on line but there is a $10 service fee making the total cost $20.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:06 PM   #24

[QUOTE=Nana25K;2973114]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slolane View Post
We bought one in January, already got our money's worth, but we're retired and on the road.

One thing that the ranger who sold it to us said - you can have two names on the card. When you buy it only sign one name on the back. You can resell to someone else when you're done with it.

When I can get the Golden Age Passport - Lifetime $20 at age 62 (not that it will be anytime soon ) I'm giving my annual pass to my son.[/

I'm confused.
If you purchased an American the Beautiful pass ($10 for those over 62) it is :
A. Only good for the single person issued too
B. It is good only for YOUR use and lifetime
C. one card will allow the pass holder and those riding in the car entrance to a fee based federal facility
D. If a fee is required for a specific program (ex: the ferry to the Cumberland Natl Seashore) the pass is good only for the pass holder
D. You can not "will" your card to someone else
E. Only one name per card
F this card replaces the "Golden Age Pass" although the GAP is still honored.
When used, the person checking your card is required to also check a valid signed ID
The seller is required to verify the purchasers name, birth date, fill out a log (which is an official federal document and can be audited and all passes must accounted for) and sign the log.
I'm afraid whomever sold you your card also sold you a load of untruth.
How do I know this you ask?? Because I sell those passes for USFWS and I have the regulation right here in front of me.

An annual Park pass cannot be resold either. It is good for 12 months.

Don't confuse the $80 "America the Beautiful" pass (can have two names on it) with the $10 "Golden Age Passport" (over age 62, only issued to one person)
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:10 PM   #25

Here's the site explaining about the various passes:

https://store.usgs.gov/pass/general.html

You can purchase them at most national parks, national monuments and others.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:21 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I got my Golden Access pass some years ago at a WA National Park after the gate attendant noticed my handicapped license plate. Been using it ever since, even in Hawaii on vacation and no we didn't have the motorhome there!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:35 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
The Senior Pass is available to those age 62 or older. Do not have to be 65. I purchased mine for $10 at a NPS facility as soon as I turned 62. You can purchase the pass on line but there is a $10 service fee making the total cost $20.
This is correct! I bought mine a month ago when I turned 62. Itchin' to try it out!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
national