Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
National Park Pass Question

Thanks to the members of this forum, I discovered that I was eligible for an “America the Beautiful” disabled park pass. I received my pass in the mail yesterday. It comes with what appears to a plastic placard that hangs on my rear view mirror. There aren’t any instructions however on how to use the pass. Do I carry the access card with me or do I hang it on my mirror along with the placard? I’m a little confused.

Thanks!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You are supposed to hang the placard with your pass in the slits to display it when parked. I never have since I don't want to temp anyone to break into my vehicle. I guess if I visited a place that had closely monitored parking looking for scofflaws I might hang it, otherwise it's in my wallet.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
Thanks to the members of this forum, I discovered that I was eligible for an “America the Beautiful” disabled park pass. I received my pass in the mail yesterday. It comes with what appears to a plastic placard that hangs on my rear view mirror. There aren’t any instructions however on how to use the pass. Do I carry the access card with me or do I hang it on my mirror along with the placard? I’m a little confused. Thanks! Craig
How did you go about getting your disabled pass? I am pretty sure my wife would qualify. Just getting started MHing and certain we would use the pass. I will not be 62 until June so her qualifying now would be a better way to go.
rcraig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #4

Rcraig, google America The Beautiful and the song and park pass will show up with inst.
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #5

Many individual parks will have information about validating your entrance if hangtag theft has been a problem.

10. How do I show my pass at a site that doesn't have an entrance station? At Federal recreation sites that don't have entrance stations you need to display your pass or show proof of pass ownership to compliance officers via one of the two following methods:
HANGTAGS
A pass can either be displayed on your rearview mirror using a free hangtag or on your dashboard with the signature side showing. Remember, the hangtag itself is only a way to display your Pass, and is not valid for entry unless it holds a valid Pass.
DECALS
If you own an open-topped vehicle (jeep, motorcycle, etc.) you may obtain a free decal to attach to your vehicle that will serve as proof of payment at sites that don't have a staffed entrance station.
Decals are issued on annual basis, even for owners of lifetime Senior/Access passes
Decals are NOT valid for entry at staffed entrance sites - you MUST show your pass
Decals must be obtained in person and you must show the following:
your Pass, driver's license and vehicle registration. The name on all three documents must match.
All sites that issue passes issue free hangtags
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraig19 View Post
How did you go about getting your disabled pass? I am pretty sure my wife would qualify. Just getting started MHing and certain we would use the pass. I will not be 62 until June so her qualifying now would be a better way to go.
Here's a link to the USGS website: Access pass

Thanks for the replies folks. So in other words, the mirror placard is used only for parking (barring theft), other than that, I should carry the Access Pass with me.

Thanks!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Some parks we have been in require you to park your vehicle then take the pass inside to register. I just carry mine in my billfold.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Carry it. If there is a gate attendant or a registration office for the park, you will need to show your pass and probably another ID to prove the pass is yours and not "borrowed".

As explained above, the hang tag is for parks where there is no entry check or registration and the rangers rove around checking passe on parked cars. But if you registered at entry, you will receive a park registration "pass" and that goes on the car/RV instead.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We got our passes at the gate of one the parks. I showed the paperwork to the Ranger from the VA and my ID and the Ranger filled out his side of stuff and gave me the pass. Then he asked for Thom's ID and gave him one too.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
US Army Corp Of Engineers also honors this pass.

They have mostly attended gate houses and you just need to show the pass and ID once upon registration.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #11

We did not get a hang tag with ours, just the card. We picked ours up at a ranger station at a national park. We presented proper documentation, filled out a form, and we were handed a pass.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
the pass does not work at Mt Rushmore....
Old 11-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #13

Rushmore parking is run by a private vendor and the attraction itself has no entrance fee.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenkerb View Post
the pass does not work at Mt Rushmore....
the pass covers the basic entry fee at most parks. Additional charges like parking, tours etc may not be covered.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national