Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2016, 01:02 AM   #29

Raising the fee will do nothing for us as citizens- except raise the fee. I'm sorry, but I can't go along with you guys on this one. Poor struggling young families- blah blah blah. I wasn't poor, but pretty much struggled and worked hard all my life. Now you want me to pay more for something everybody has gotten for the same price for many many years? I don't think so.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2016, 01:06 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
I have a 3-point followup to my previous post in this thread.
  1. I misread the bill passed by the House. The price of a 1-year Senior Pass will be $20 under this bill. The lifetime Senior Pass will be set at the same price as the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass, which is currently $80/year. It's still a lifetime pass for seniors.
  2. There's still no sign that the Senate will take up the bill before the holiday recess, in which case I'm not sure what will happen to it. In general, I've had the impression that bills do not carry over from one session to the next. Maybe someone who is more knowledgeable than I can help me out here?
  3. If it's eventually passed, there's nothing in the bill that sets a date when fees, etc., will become effective. So it could be immediately upon getting the president's signature, if that happens. Who knows.
We all might want to follow the progress - if any - of H. R. 4680 here:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...ouse-bill/4680

And a P.S.: I sorta think that even at $80 a lifetime Senior Pass may be a real bargain.

Roger
Please re-read post #20 of this thread.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:07 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
Raising the fee will do nothing for us as citizens- except raise the fee. I'm sorry, but I can't go along with you guys on this one. Poor struggling young families- blah blah blah. I wasn't poor, but pretty much struggled and worked hard all my life. Now you want me to pay more for something everybody has gotten for the same price for many many years? I don't think so.
I agree. I also have an issue with the government constantly moving the bar for seniors. Social Security, Medicare, it's all in danger.
The problem is us Boomers are retiring and the government views us collectively as a huge cash cow.
Leave the seniors alone.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:43 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Leave ALL of us alone. I'm not quite a senior yet, but our National Parks are paid for already by our taxes. Nobody should have to pay a dime to access them. The amount of money wasted here as well as sent overseas (also a waste IMO) is obscene, and it SHOULD be used here.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:52 AM   #33

The National Park upkeep/maintenance is an ongoing issue. The infrastructure is very old and used by millions. If you want facilities in the parks - as all visitors expect - the money has to come from somewhere. We've volunteered in the parks and definitely know the need. We've also seen how many visitors trash the parks. They seem to think it's just another Disneyland.

How much do you pay for a movie for two with dinner? A concert ticket? Yes, a day at Disney? A carton of cigarettes? A bottle of booze? If you don't want to pay $80 for a lifetime then don't. I'm surprised the fee hasn't been raised years before this.

National Parks can't be replaced. They need care so future generations can enjoy them.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #34

Update: The Senate passed the National Parks bill today, by unanimous consent. I admit to being surprised, but this almost certainly means it will go to the president and be signed. If you want to get your lifetime Senior Pass before the price goes up to $80, I'm thinking you'd better do it now. If you have a national park near you, then you should be able to go there in person and get it for $10. Online, I think it costs $20. Which is better than $80.

Roger
Old 12-13-2016, 05:12 PM   #35

We-the-People shouldn't have to pay a dime to visit OUR national parks. It's OUR land. The government stole the lands from us and is making us pay to use them. The White House gave $150B to Iran, money that could have been used to improve our national parks and done away with all the entry fees, probably even the camping fees.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:15 PM   #36

The price of the pass is the least of our worries. Turning park lands back over to individual states so the states can oversee and lease park lands to energy companies as they each choose is coming back to the forefront lately.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:42 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
The National Park upkeep/maintenance is an ongoing issue. The infrastructure is very old and used by millions. If you want facilities in the parks - as all visitors expect - the money has to come from somewhere. We've volunteered in the parks and definitely know the need. We've also seen how many visitors trash the parks. They seem to think it's just another Disneyland.

How much do you pay for a movie for two with dinner? A concert ticket? Yes, a day at Disney? A carton of cigarettes? A bottle of booze? If you don't want to pay $80 for a lifetime then don't. I'm surprised the fee hasn't been raised years before this.

National Parks can't be replaced. They need care so future generations can enjoy them.
I agree.

Although I already have my senior pass, $80 for a lifetime of enjoying our national parks is a small price to pay. Since I received my pass in February, I've been to Yosemite twice and the Grand Canyon once. Already, even if I paid $80 instead of $10, it has already "paid for itself" by saving me $90.

If the revenue actually does go for the upkeep of the parks, I have no issue with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Galaxy Core 2 282.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	370.6 KB
ID:	146659  
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:57 PM   #38

I just turned 62. I am going to get my pass tomorrow. I am thankful this discussion was here!
Old 12-13-2016, 07:00 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
We-the-People shouldn't have to pay a dime to visit OUR national parks. It's OUR land. The government stole the lands from us and is making us pay to use them. The White House gave $150B to Iran, money that could have been used to improve our national parks and done away with all the entry fees, probably even the camping fees.
This is not correct. The $150 billion returned to Iran was their money that they gave up front to purchase military arms that were never provided because of sanctions that were put in place when the shah was overthrown, and has nothing to do with this discussion.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:06 PM   #40

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The over crowded conditions in all of our national parks, is of more concern to me than an increase in lifetime entry pass fees. I reside 30 miles from the western entry to Glacier National Park in Montana. This past July I tried to show out of state visiting family members some of the sites within the park. I could not find a place to park our vehicle. Even the roadside pullouts were all full. Glacier as well as many other national parks have set visitation records the past few years, that makes enjoyable visits really difficult, for me anyway, to attain. Not even going to talk about our visit to Yellowstone in late June 2013!! I have had the 10 dollar Golden Age Passport for over 15 years, glad it is good for lifetime. I still use it, mostly off season now however.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:16 PM   #41

So now it is done; isn't it interesting it doesn't matter which party is in power they act as if the people are a Piggy Bank.

I started this thread in hopes that we the users might have some input into the process. I had hoped we could insure the monies collected in the parks name would be use for parks but I am now even more concerned that this is another slush fund for congress.

I'm sorry I didn't find out about it earlier we may have been able to affect some change.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:54 PM   #42

FYI, I just bought my Senior Pass online, cost $20. If you want to do this you will need to upload a scanned image of a document that verifies your eligibility, like a driver's license, passport, etc., as part of the process. Relatively painless.

https://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/b2c/...000000004)/.do

Tags
national