Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2015, 11:20 AM   #15

We started our RVing adventure at age 49 with a new low end starter trailer, a 2002 Pioneer 19T4. We pulled it with our '99 Mercury Mountaineer. Although I loved the Mountaineer it wasn't a good tow vehicle, even for as small of a TT as we had. This was even with an Equalizer hitch, LT tires and SuperSprings. I began a search for something better suited to tow with and considered the F150's and the F250's. A Service writer at a local Ford dealer took me out in the shop and showed me the difference in size of the brakes, suspension and rear ends of both models. I wound up buying a used 1999 V10 Superduty for not much more than a 1999 F150. This was in 2002. It was a great truck with no fishtailing or pushing around on the freeway by the semis when towing. In over 10 years of ownership the only thing I changed was to upgrade to 430 gears from 373's and I added a tranny temp gauge.

As for type of RV's we bought our first TT very well and when the time came to sell it 4 years later we were able to get just $3,500 less than what we paid for it. We learned that we wanted an RV that had large tanks, lots of storage inside and out, a walk around Queen size bed, an enclosed underbelly, and a decent sized bathroom just like we had in out current Pioneer. We also learned that we needed a larger shower, a slide out for a little more room inside, and a sofa or better inside seating because here in the Great Northwet, sometimes it rains. I felt that I had gotten a pretty good education as well as 4 years of enjoyment for only $3,500.

Our second RV was a new 2006 Cougar 243RKS which we loved and would still have today if my health had held up. It had everything we wanted in a trailer and we even did a cross country camping trip which my wife loved. My point is that a TT would be an excellent way to start out if you have the right tow vehicle. They don't cost a lot and they have plenty of room. There also appears that a TT is what most campers are looking for if you look around at a campground or RV show. We found 5th Wheelers too expensive for us and we also had a short bed truck which would have necessitated a slider hitch as well.

5 years ago I had a bad heart attack which left me with some after effects that made the upkeep on a truck and TT too much for me and reluctantly I sold our truck and TT. 2 years after that we began a new chapter in our lives with a Winnebago Aspect Class C and have renewed the joy we had when camping in our TTs.

My point is to do your research, find out what you like and need on your first rig, and ask for help and opinions from as many as you can, like you are doing here. If you buy your first one at a good price, it will be hard to be hurt too badly. That said, I agree whole heartedly to try to buy your 3rd RV the first time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 07:08 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nearly retired, dipping our toes into the RV pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott_head View Post
Will also have to install a brake controller

I have the same year and model as your truck. Didn't you say it came with the towing package? The reason I ask is I thought the brake controller came with the towing package. I know it did in mine.

Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
As stated, your Ford 150 will limit the size trailer you can tow. Buying used is a good idea because more than likely, you will end up buying something and after learning what you like/dislike about it, you will trade it in on a different RV. That being said, our Winnebago 2201DS works for us and we tow it with a 1/2 ton truck. We like our particular trailer due to the outside kitchen, well designed bathroom and lots of storage for longer trips. Being a smaller trailer, the dinette serves as the main "living room" and we use an extra folding chair when inside watching TV or reading.

Good luck!
What we have decided so far is this:
Queen bed with access from both sides
Bath should have both tub and shower ability
Need headroom in the shower.
Need place to sit where we can kick our legs up and stretch out.
Dry curb weight around 6K.
At least one section that slides out.
An oven. I'm a southern boy and I gotta have my biscuits and gravy.

I plan on using a WDH and carrying some items in the truck.

Thanks to whomever for the link to PPlmobilehomes.com It gives us the chance to look at a lot of different floor plans and gives the title weight. We then cross check to NADA. There are some very room units out there that will fit our budget.

Thanks to all for you input. It is helping.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
I have the same year and model as your truck. Didn't you say it came with the towing package? The reason I ask is I thought the brake controller came with the towing package. I know it did in mine.
Ours came with the receiver hitch and seven round plug. The brake controller is often installed by the dealer.

I will install the FoMoCo controller and then have the truck flashed.

I tried flashing my truck myself onetime but the neighbors really got upset with me. I don't know why, I had my back to them.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:08 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Ours came with the receiver hitch and seven round plug. The brake controller is often installed by the dealer.

I tried flashing my truck myself onetime but the neighbors really got upset with me. I don't know why, I had my back to them.

Guess i got lucky then, I also have the camera in the Ford logo which makes backing up to a trailer nearly idiot proof.

I say nearly, because this idiot has proven it can be used incorrectly on a cargo trailer.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:09 PM   #20

Sounds like you have it fairly well thought out. The two things I see is a decent bathtub will probably not happen and a fiver would be a big mistake. If you want to haul your sporting gear and a bit out outside patio the best place is your truck with a cap. Then you can add a car top boat if you want.

There is another issue aside from weight. Depending on the model somewhere around 26 ft the tire size increases and the overall height goes up a foot. I would not go there as it changes the towing dynamics quite a bit. Much shorter than 24 and space gets to be an issue. Over time I would not be surprised if you went to a MH that will tow something to fish and sight see with. There is a lot of nice stuff in the 30 ft range. ;-)
Old 12-14-2015, 08:19 PM   #21

Quote:
That I did not know and reading about them on Amazon I like that they have to flash the vehicle so that it knows it now has a controller and I would assume it is so braking modulation can be controlled better.

Thanks for that!
First, I used a Prodigy P3 with my F150 and it worked flawlessly. I now have the Ford IBC and it is great, but the only thing it does the Prodigy didn't was track towed miles.
I also towed my 6500 lb TT several thousand miles with the F150. It worked well enough, but was never what I would call comfortable. I had upgraded to E rated tires which worked well, but I was still at the upper limits of the truck when loaded for camping. Moving to the F250 has made a world of difference. The ride is so much more comfortable and I don't feel like I am running on the ragged edge.
Coachmen has a variety of camper floorplans and are well built. They aren't the frilliest campers, but they are solid, comfortable campers.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:22 PM   #22

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:

Some neighbors just have no sense of humor!
Old 12-14-2015, 09:13 PM   #23

Quote:
What we have decided so far is this:
Queen bed with access from both sides
Bath should have both tub and shower ability
Need headroom in the shower.
Need place to sit where we can kick our legs up and stretch out.
Dry curb weight around 6K.
At least one section that slides out.
An oven. I'm a southern boy and I gotta have my biscuits and gravy.

I plan on using a WDH and carrying some items in the truck.

Thanks to whomever for the link to PPlmobilehomes.com It gives us the chance to look at a lot of different floor plans and gives the title weight. We then cross check to NADA. There are some very room units out there that will fit our budget.

Thanks to all for you input. It is helping.
A couple things from your wish list: RV tubs are typically very small if you want one for an adult. They're just right for kids. Also, RVs have a small hot water heater so you wouldn't be filling up that tub and soaking!

Your biscuits can successfully be made in a convection/microwave oven so don't rule out an RV that doesn't have an oven. That just means you'll have more drawer space in its place. A convection oven can bake anything the same way - even a small turkey.

Good luck and glad PPL site will help you.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:47 PM   #24

Thanks for the further input.

Wife wants the tub and she is petite. I am on the tall, lanky, always busting my scalp on something side. But the height of the shower is not that critical since I only shower on alternate Fridays.

I used to have an 2005 F250 PowerStroke but it did a "Gone With the Wind" number in in the tornado of 2013. The F150 better suits me. I pig hunt a lot and nothing gets stuck better than a two wheel drive diesel. I'm talking "Jethro, I think you snapped the drawbar on your Allis Chalmers" type stuck.

Did not suspect about the tire size change at around 26 feet, will have to keep that in mind.

I was planning on using the truck with a cover to haul the "extras' you tend to accumulate. It did that service well when we were active boaters.

Right now it seems that Jayco has a lot of used stuff in our area. I like the Coachmen's that I have seen. The oil bust has put a lot of TT out on the market.

A few of the TT come with wife and kids if you want them. They never include a photo of the wife.....

By the way, don't take everything I say for gospel......I just might be pullin' your leg.....
Old 12-14-2015, 10:30 PM   #25

This may be an indelicate questions to ask, but are there any particular brands I should avoid in TT from about 2006 to 2013?

I'm a Ford man, but even I try to look busy when folks say "Edsal"....
Old 12-14-2015, 10:31 PM   #26

Not gospel?

And here I was, thinking your name was Luke.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
Not gospel?

And here I was, thinking your name was Luke.
No, I am your father. Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

(Hope you know Star Wars trivia or this will be awkward)
Old 12-14-2015, 11:10 PM   #28

Quote:
No, I am your father. Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

(Hope you know Star Wars trivia or this will be awkward)
. Best laugh I've had today Darth...

PS. Your laundry list seems very similar to ours as to size and amenities, definitely in the ballpark for an F150 as I understand it. We ended up going down a slightly different path and elected to buy a truck first. (Particularly important as our 150 already had 200K miles). After lots of research here and a couple of other places, eventually ended up with an F350. Then building our new home took over as a priority...lol. House finished six months ago, and as the dust settles, re-starting the search for a lightly used TT. Sort of an interesting experience relying on advice here, as the bottom line cost of a factory order 350 with the exact equipment we wanted ended up only 800 bucks more than a Max Tow/optioned up 150. We don't really need a big trailer, 26 feet or so will do, but having a much more capable tow rig gives us more freedom of choice.

Take care, and may the farce be with you...