Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #15

Isn't that just a 3/16 inch shoulder bolt about an inch long? You could just get one with an allen head, grind the head off and cut a slot in it.

Bolt depot has them in stainless for a little more than $2.50:

Shoulder bolts, Allen, Stainless steel 18-8 - Bolt Depot

A search on slotted shoulder bolt will get you a lot of choices. Measure the size of the one your friend has that fits and who knows you may find one in the specialty bolt drawers and Home Depot, Lowes or Ace.

Problem could be that Apex no longer makes the tools themselves and only gets them fully assembled with no spare parts.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #16

Thanks for all the replys. One of the above links that gets to the Crescent supplyer says $40 minimum order. Don't think a pin would be worth that even if they might have one. Good information though for future references.

Have tried 3 pawn stores so far and all they have is China built junk with pressed in pins.

Never thought about the shoulder bolts. Might be a problem finding the size of shoulder that goes through the adjustment wheel and still has a 10-32 thread on the end, but will definitely make a trip to my local hardware and also Fastenal.

Don't have any mom-pop hardware stores in our area anymore now that Lowes and Wally World has invaded out little town.

Thinking about renting a metal detector and searching the yard where I had the wrench but can't decide if it's worth the $20 they want for the rent. Have tried several of the neighbors to see if someone might by any chance own one but no luck so far. Can also rent a large bar magnet like the roofers use to pick up shingle nails from the yard for $10 but not sure it could catch the pin if it happened to be very deep in the grass. I had taken the wrench out of a motor home compartment in the back yard and walked around to the front driveway when I noticed the knurled wheel and pin was missing. How I didn't notice that when I first picked up the wrench is more than I can figure, other than the fact I had 4 other wrenches in my at the same time. Bet I use some lock-tight on the threads if I ever get a replacement pin.
Thanks again Guys (and Gals if it applys) for all the suggestions.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
wagonmaster2 I just checked in my shop and I've got a 10" Crescent that says on one side:

"10" forged CRESTOLOY steel made in U.S.A."

"mfd by CRESCENT TOOL CO jamestown, N.Y."

I understand the sentimental part so I'd be glad to send you the wrench for free if you want it. I've had this one for probably 30 years so it's probably like yours.

I tried to remove the setscrew in the thumbwheel but it only turns maybe a turn and a half and stops. Didn't want to force it for fear of goofing up the slot.
So I could send you the whole wrench and you could get the screw out.

Consider it an early Christmas present.

Let me know your address if you want it.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:31 AM   #18

Can't remember if the pin on the older ones was stainless or black tool steel.

I have a number of tools from my Dad and can understand the feeling. Take your time and you will find the parts. Don't forget about small spring that resides in there. Without it the adjuster is sloppy and jambs.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Without looking it up I think that is very likely a common screw with a long shank and a short thread... Go to your local screw store, find a way too long screw that fits, the threaded part of the handle (Grade 8 would not be a bad idea here) use handy dandy dremel to remove part of the threaded portion (Making sure to clean up the thread at the cut) and you should be good to go.

Get one where the "Shank" part (Non-threaded) is the proper length, do not worry about thread length as the Dremel will make short-er, work of it pronto.

LOVE MY DREMEL even if it is a Crafstman.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #20
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
wagonmaster2 I just checked in my shop and I've got a 10" Crescent that says on one side:

"10" forged CRESTOLOY steel made in U.S.A."

"mfd by CRESCENT TOOL CO jamestown, N.Y."

I understand the sentimental part so I'd be glad to send you the wrench for free if you want it. I've had this one for probably 30 years so it's probably like yours.

I tried to remove the setscrew in the thumbwheel but it only turns maybe a turn and a half and stops. Didn't want to force it for fear of goofing up the slot.
So I could send you the whole wrench and you could get the screw out.

Consider it an early Christmas present.

Let me know your address if you want it.
Arch, you are the epitomy of what a gentleman is supposed to be. What a great gesture!! We have some great members on this forum.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Arch, you are the epitomy of what a gentleman is supposed to be. What a great gesture!! We have some great members on this forum.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Ain't that the truth though. Some of the offers I've seen by members to travel a ways to help another member litterly astounds me in this day and age. I have sent Arch a PM so we can get together on the mailing of the wrench. I could hardly believe his offer. People just don't do things like that anymore.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Old 08-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #24

Napa Auto Parts may have what you need
Old 08-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wagon master, If you don't find one, send me an email and, I'll send you a set screw out of one of mine, I have 3 of that type.
Later
Walt