Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #1

Need 10" Crescent wrench part

Some how some where in the back yard I recently lost the screw pin that holds the adjusting worm gear in place for my 10" Crescent wrench (one made in the USA not China). I use this wrench mostly for draining oils from my 3 vehicles cause they all are different size and it's much easier to just grab the trusty Crescent wrench each time out of the tool box.

I have not been able to find a source for parts for these wrenches, especially since most of the newer wrenches have that pin pressed in instead of having threads on the end of it. And most new ones I'm finding are made in China which makes the parts unusable even if I could find it.

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, or advice on where I can obtain a new screw pin for my 10" U S made Crescent wrench. I know I could just buy a new wrench a lot easier but this one was given to me by my Dad (who passed away in 2007) back in the '60s and just hate not having it usable any more. I know I could just use a 10-32 threaded bolt long enough to reach the threads but that would really look cruddy.

Thanks.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Amazon.com: Crescent AC115PSK 15-Inch Replacement Pin, Spring and Knurl for Adjustable Wrench: Home Improvement

Here is a start, maybe it will lead to a 10". Good luck I hope you find a replacement part for this keep sake.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #3

Go to Harbor Freight and get a set of four for $10, guaranteed for life:

4 Piece Steel Adjustable Wrench Set
Old 08-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Try these guys.. Dont see one listed, but, they have parts for the older Crescent USA tools.. Worth an email.

Crescent Adjustable Wrench 10 inch Replacement Knurl

You could also go down to a mom-n-pop type hardware store and fine a set-screw that would work or be adapted.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Any of THESE work??? If not, it appears that this vendor can source replacement Crescent parts.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #6

I'm trying to get something out of Apex Tool Co, which makes the Crescent wrenches but they keep telling me they don't handle the old ones anymore. I've tried the pin out of a friend's newer wrench and even though the wrench is heavier the pin is still the same size.
I've sent Apex a second e-mail explaining this to them so we'll see what they respond this time. Surely it can't take much to pick up a pin and mail it to me but maybe they expect to sell a crate of wrenches or none at all.
Appreciate the link to Amazon but I haven't been able to locate those same pieces for my 10".
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
FW

How about a pawn shop? Most have allot of old tools. Buy one and just use the pin.
FW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
Go to Harbor Freight and get a set of four for $10, guaranteed for life:

4 Piece Steel Adjustable Wrench Set

Chinese Junk....
Macpeety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #9

http://www.shamrocksupply.com/itemDe...odeId=10731805

Calvin
calvinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
KIX

Garage sales......flea markets
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macpeety View Post
Chinese Junk....
Nope India Junk
Old 08-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
Nope India Junk
Old 08-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macpeety View Post
Chinese Junk....
True, but just used one of their 18 inch crescents this weekend as big as it would go, with a 4 foot cheater bar. I'm 6'2" and North of 225 lbs on the end of it, and it got the job done. When I bought it the kid said if I break it to bring it back, I ask even with a 4 foot cheater bar? and he said I told you if you break it, bring it back and we will replace it. Not as pretty as the real thing, but got the job done for me. (and I haven't had to take it back,,,,yet, maybe need a longer cheater )
rrbusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbusb View Post
True, but just used one of their 18 inch crescents this weekend as big as it would go, with a 4 foot cheater bar. I'm 6'2" and North of 225 lbs on the end of it, and it got the job done. When I bought it the kid said if I break it to bring it back, I ask even with a 4 foot cheater bar? and he said I told you if you break it, bring it back and we will replace it. Not as pretty as the real thing, but got the job done for me. (and I haven't had to take it back,,,,yet, maybe need a longer cheater )
Great news....now for the other products made in China