Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Need 32" TV ???????

I need a 32" tv,what is best LED or LCD,I would really like to have one with a build in DVD player,any ideals

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #2

They are all pretty good now and the built-in DVD is probably going to be what sells it anyway. I wouldn't bother paying extra for a smart TV as most campgrounds don't have the bandwidth for streaming off the internet.

SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #3

LED and LCD are different parts of the same TV. LCD is the Screen, LED is used in the same set as back lighting. Non LED use fluorescent tubes for back lighting.

I would go with the LED. Less effect from Shaking and jarring.

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed a 32 inch Vizio as a replacement in our motorhome, few years ago, and have been very happy with it. Its just a no frills model, no built in disc player, but I believe they are available with DVD players built in. I too would shy away from "Smart" TV models, because of available bandwidth problems at campgrounds and RV parks.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:59 AM   #5

Keep in mind that many built-in DVD players are in the upper right/back portion of the TV. This may be an issue in either mounting or use. I happen to like my Sony vs. my Samsung (no built-in DVD) but personal color perception has a lot to do with it. You really need to view the TV in a store and compare. For maximum viewing pleasure, you'll want a Blu-Ray player or, at minimum, an upscaling DVD player.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
I have found its not always about the size but about three other considerations

1) The overall frame size of the screen, cheaper units seem to have a huge border around the screen and make the unit to big for use in a limited space MH.
2) Then you need to consider the depth of the unit especially if your considering hanging it over head as many do. 1.5" vs 4.5" depth is allot when its taking up space in your MH.
3) A good mount I went with two fully articulating mounts that can be locked in place for travel.
4) As for a DVD player they make them so small that they can be hid almost anywhere so I prefer to keep them separate.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #7

My new fifth wheel trailer came with one 39" LED television, however I'm having to buy a 28-29" for the bedroom.

I bought a 32" LED with great features for the bunkhouse bedroom last week for $159 on sale.

After looking in the big box appliance outlets, 32" appears to be the standard bottom line television of today.

You'd do best buying a separate BlueRay player--over a DVD in a television. We bought one remanufactured the other day for $39, and it was capable of picking up Hulu, Netflix and all the other Wifi channels at the campground we were in.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The LED TV's are normally much thinner. I would not buy a combination TV/DVD. If the DVD fails then you don't have a TV! JMHO

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
The LED TV's are normally much thinner. I would not buy a combination TV/DVD. If the DVD fails then you don't have a TV! JMHO
X2. Buy a cheap blue-ray, will still play regular DVD's.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Agree - don't buy a combo unit -
if either fail you have to thor out the baby with the bath water

Bluray players in the range of $39 to $69 and just barely bigger than the disk play stunningly well !
Old 08-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #11
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I just installed a 32" Insignia LED TV in the front cabin ($150) along with an LG BluRay player with wifi and Netflix ($79). Further, I installed a 28" Insignia LED TV ($150) along with an LG BluRay player with wifi and Netflix ($79) into the bedroom. There are better TVs on the market, I always buy Samsung but the 32" still has the thick back and sticks out too far from the cabinet. As well, from a use/cost point, we only use our coach for about 6 total weeks a year and couldn't justify paying twice the amount for the major brand TVs. The Insignia uses most of the same parts as Samsung anyways and looks absolutely fine for picture quality. They are a 720P with 60 htz and in a smaller TV doesn't make much difference to us as we don't watch a lot of sports. If you do, then you could justify a 1080P with 120 htz or better refresh rate. I did my installs myself using locking articulating arms. Everything works great for us and It's all we need.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #12

I installed a 32" Phillips Combo in the bedroom of our MH. It worked fine for our Christmas trip. By the time we used it again, on a 4th of July trip, a disk was hung up in it and we have yet to get it out. Couldn't even pull it out with tweezers. We went out and bought a standalone DVD unit that I temporarily installed to complete that trip for my boy.

Thanks for reminding me i have another project to complete before Thanksgiving.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdossett View Post
LED and LCD are different parts of the same TV. LCD is the Screen, LED is used in the same set as back lighting. Non LED use fluorescent tubes for back lighting.

I would go with the LED. Less effect from Shaking and jarring.

H
The post above seems to be in error...LED and LCD are the same part of different TV's, not the other way around. See: LCD Vs. LED for HDTV, Difference & Comparison - Amazon.com

But , agree with the conclusion...LED is slightly better for contrast and deeper blacks.
The downside to that is that the current price point for LCD is less than the same size LED.

Totally agree that the built-in DVD will only increase the TV's price above a TV and external player...but a combo makes install very easy

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The post above seems to be in error...LED and LCD are the same part of different TV's, not the other way around. See: LCD Vs. LED for HDTV, Difference & Comparison - Amazon.com
From CNET comparsion... LED LCD vs. plasma vs. LCD - CNET

LCD TVs range in size from a couple of inches, to 90 inches,
and everywhere in-between. They're made by everybody.
All "LED TVs" are actually LCD TVs, they just use LEDs as
their light source, instead of the traditional CCFLs.

The quotes around LED TV is theirs, not mine.

I love Amazon, have some of their products, and buy through them a lot. I just don't go to them for technical advice.

Frp, http://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/hdtv/led-vs-lcd.html

LED televisions are really just LCD televisions
that use LED lights for back lighting instead of
the flourescent CFL lighting traditionally used for
LCDs. Both employ the liquid crystal diode (LCD) technology front panel containing the “twisting
crystals” which define LCD technology.

Now back to the Combo vs. Separate debate.

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote