Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2016, 09:53 AM   #1

Need a clock we can see!

Through the years, DW & I have become accustomed to being able to look on the dresser in the middle of the night, and determine the time on a large red digital clock. Now we're gearing up for our first extended trip in the 5er (next spring, I aint leaving Fl till it gets warm), and we haven't been able to find a digital clock that will run off the 12v system and stay lit up, so we can read it at night w/o any glasses. Any ideas? Even one that I had to eplace the batteries in quite often would be OK.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2016, 09:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan76 View Post
Through the years, DW & I have become accustomed to being able to look on the dresser in the middle of the night, and determine the time on a large red digital clock. Now we're gearing up for our first extended trip in the 5er (next spring, I aint leaving Fl till it gets warm), and we haven't been able to find a digital clock that will run off the 12v system and stay lit up, so we can read it at night w/o any glasses. Any ideas? Even one that I had to eplace the batteries in quite often would be OK.
DW bought a nice looking wooden box made to hold and charge an IPhone. There is an app she uses to make the IPhone a digital clock. It works great. Only problem I see is it has different brightness settings and when bright in the dark it is hard to read (too dim) in the morning daylight. That may be nothing more than adjusting the brightness in the morning when you wake up and want to look at the time, but alas it is on her side of the bed and I can't reach it.

sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our travel trailer has closets on each side of the bed and the "night stand" area can't be seen when laying down. We bought small travel clocks, battery-operated, that we attached to the wall of the closet area. We attached them with Command Adhesive strips at a spot we could see the, (one on each side). Each has a small switch to turn on a LED for a few seconds to see the time - very handy. There are lots of choices for the clocks so you can choose one you like.

Note there are all sizes of travel clock, and some would,work well on a nightstand as long as you can reach them to turn on the small light.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:31 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Google is your best friend......
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan76 View Post
Through the years, DW & I have become accustomed to being able to look on the dresser in the middle of the night, and determine the time on a large red digital clock. Now we're gearing up for our first extended trip in the 5er (next spring, I aint leaving Fl till it gets warm), and we haven't been able to find a digital clock that will run off the 12v system and stay lit up, so we can read it at night w/o any glasses.

Just get a small inverter like this one, and you can take your favorite clock with you ! The inverter plugs into the 12 volt system, and creates 120vac to run the clock. Problem solved !

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1453678686.105306.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	117309
Old 01-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a very nice 10" tablet, a Black Friday special.. The CLOCK function is fantastic, power consumption is low, and it runs on 5 Volts, from either a "Wall Wart" or a computer or a "lighter plug" type adapter.. Currently it is playing classical music from movies, it also does E-Mail. and web browsing, can add/subtract/multiply/divide/powers, and read Kindle books. 78 bucks.. A 7" which you can often get cheaper will work too.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:56 PM   #7

Got an old android phone or tablet? If so, try the app Night Alarm. Large digits, touch the screen and it dims/brightens. Alarms if you want. The digits fill the whole screen so even I can see it without my glasses. Will eat the batteries so should be plugged in but your device should have an adapter to run off 12 volts.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:58 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
The outlet for our bedroom TV is on the inverter so that it stays hot even when we are not on shore power. Maybe yours could be too? ... or perhaps there is an inverter outlet somewhere near.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:05 PM   #9

We went to Wally World, they had a display of battery operated alarm clocks with large numbers. There is a touch switch on the top that when touched the display will turn on for a few seconds.
1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
Got an old android phone or tablet? If so, try the app Night Alarm. Large digits, touch the screen and it dims/brightens. Alarms if you want. The digits fill the whole screen so even I can see it without my glasses. Will eat the batteries so should be plugged in but your device should have an adapter to run off 12 volts.
Same as Pete said except we use an app called Night Clock. I made a bracket to hold the clocks on an angle attached to the bedroom wall so they are very visible to us during the night. I also use a 12 volt USB outlet so we can plug the phone in during the night. (without the blue light)
Attached Images

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:08 PM   #11

Small battery bed clocks only require that you press a button for it to light up during the night. You get so used to doing it that it's no effort. The batteries last forever. A clock that stays lit during the night would keep us awake!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:48 AM   #12

Thanx

Thanx for all the advice, Found the one I want on Amazon.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
And if you please, which one did you get on Amazon?

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Just get a small inverter like this one, and you can take your favorite clock with you ! The inverter plugs into the 12 volt system, and creates 120vac to run the clock. Problem solved !
TheOldMan76
Like pasdad1 we also power a 120VAC digital display LED clock continuously with a small inverter from Harbor Freight...(no fumbling in the dark to see the time).
80 Watt Continuous/125 Watt Peak Slim Power Inverter
Mel
'96 Safari