Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #15

lots of good advice, starting to research A types now, are there some brands I should lean towards or stay away from, how about powertrains , gas / diesel , and what type of thing should I look for, some one told me to check out the rubber roof make sure its white and not faded , as far as tires I understand how to check the dates, any info would be helpful

thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider87 View Post
looking to spend jan 1st to end of march in Florida every year starting in two years. thinking of buying a motorhome , not sure what I should be looking for, there is just my wife and me and two dogs , thought maybe a c type but really don't know anything about them ,I was in the vehicle service for 30 years but have no idea what type of motorhome would be best to live in for that length of time. also any info on other things about living in a motorhome would be helpful. have a budget of about $30,000 , live in central New York
thanks
If the only place you plan to travel to or winter is FL, why spend money on an RV? Many FL RV parks have permanent travel trailers set-up on a space, and every winter is when for sale signs are put out-front of the unit.
My cousin and her DH sold their MH because FL was the only place they went and spent the winter. They bought an older travel trailer set-up permanent on a site that needed updating and remodeling for $3,200; spent about $2,500 remodeling it to their desires.Now they have a nice 2 bedroom trailer W/sunroom in Sunny, warm Ft. Myers Beach to spend as much time as they wish in FL.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #17

not a bad idea, but that limits our choices, I think as far as cost goes a MH wont save us any money, but gives us more options as to were we want to be in fl and to visit some other states on the way down .
Old 08-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
If the only place you plan to travel to or winter is FL, why spend money on an RV? Many FL RV parks have permanent travel trailers set-up on a space, and every winter is when for sale signs are put out-front of the unit.
My cousin and her DH sold their MH because FL was the only place they went and spent the winter. They bought an older travel trailer set-up permanent on a site that needed updating and remodeling for $3,200; spent about $2,500 remodeling it to their desires.Now they have a nice 2 bedroom trailer W/sunroom in Sunny, warm Ft. Myers Beach to spend as much time as they wish in FL.
I agree. If traveling with the RV is not required.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Rent one first and see what you like and dislike.

The problem with class C's is they have a limited cargo carrying capacity. Be sure and weigh the RV first to see how much room you have on GVWR, front and rear GAWR.

Ken
Not limited to Type C rigs!
Our type A was supposed to have 5,300#'s NCC so I wasn't worried about it. Should have been as when it was delivered we had 663#'s of CCC and ALL of that was on the rear axle. The front axle was overweight by about 160#'s on the front axle. Newmar rectified it by having Spartan replace the 12,000# front axle with a 14,600# unit. But to use that total I had to go up several sizes on the front tires and replace the steel wheels with Alcoa's. One good thing is that while at Spartan they inspected the whole rig and told me that the rear axle was a 20,000# unit and there was no reason to derate it to 19,000#'s. So we gained about 3,600#'s of CCC although the front new front axle takes a little away as it weighs more.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider87 View Post
not a bad idea, but that limits our choices, I think as far as cost goes a MH wont save us any money, but gives us more options as to were we want to be in fl and to visit some other states on the way down .
I agree. The motor home allows you to do some (a LOT of!) exploring pretty reasonably and comfortably? Use that to your advantage prior to finding a place you'd be willing to buy, and maybe see some other places you might not otherwise get a chance to see again while you're at it?
Old 08-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #21

Class A gas will give you much more choice in the price range you stated, about 30K. Many of us who drive gassers would love a DP but can't justify the much higher initial investment cost and maintenance costs associated with DP's. Your budget would yield a perhaps a low to mid 90's DP where as with gas you may find something as little as 10 yrs. old with low mileage. There are a lot of good names out there like Winnebago, Tiffin Allegro, Newmar, Holiday Ramblers, Fleetwood and more but you can't go wrong with any of these. As you shop remember that mileage and wear and tear do not always go hand in hand. Some rigs sit still all season in one campground with heavy use, hence low mileage, or weekend warrior types that maybe have a few more miles but a lot less wear and use on the appliances, furnishings, systems like generators, leveling jacks and utilities. Good Luck with your shopping.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #22

We bought a used 2003 sightseer 27c with one slide , wife and I and one dog spent 3 months in it .
Lessons learnt ,
Cheap drivers seat is a pain , 4 hours was my max
Chevy 8.1 was great
, big box on small chassis Even with $3k upgrades was awful
Slide was fantastic on bad weather days and general livability
Now traded to a 36 ft DP just for better driving and space
Old 08-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
Class A gas will give you much more choice in the price range you stated, about 30K. Many of us who drive gassers would love a DP but can't justify the much higher initial investment cost and maintenance costs associated with DP's. Your budget would yield a perhaps a low to mid 90's DP where as with gas you may find something as little as 10 yrs. old with low mileage. There are a lot of good names out there like Winnebago, Tiffin Allegro, Newmar, Holiday Ramblers, Fleetwood and more but you can't go wrong with any of these. As you shop remember that mileage and wear and tear do not always go hand in hand. Some rigs sit still all season in one campground with heavy use, hence low mileage, or weekend warrior types that maybe have a few more miles but a lot less wear and use on the appliances, furnishings, systems like generators, leveling jacks and utilities. Good Luck with your shopping.
On the op's budget, you can actually get up into the late 90's with an HR Endeavor DP w/slide? These have been a pretty good buy on a bucks spent for bang received for a while now...

The roof has a great design that keeps most people out of trouble with a minimum amount of fuss, plus they're all aluminum from the floor up. No rot, and they're much lighter than their higher end cousins...
Old 08-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #24

I stand corrected, thanks ahicks. OP should look into them.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #25

Can't you rent one for a week, or something, to see if it "feels right"? That's what I would do, if possible. It's hard to predict how you'll like it, and it's be sad to find out you hate it after you've spent your savings on it. I agree with other posters, about not trying to live in something smaller than about 35', for months.