Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2010, 12:20 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Unhappy Need advice on bedroom slide window...

After 12 years in a 5'er with non slide out rooms, we upgraded to an Excel with 2 slides. I would have preferred one without a bedroom slide, but when shopping the used market beggars cannot be choosers.

The rig we found is satisfactory for most of our needs, but after only three nights in the bedroom I have decided something needs to be done with the window at the head of the bed! I guess I tend to flail my arms around a little in my sleep, and on more that one occasion I have woke up to find myself tied up in the blinds! (well maybe not tied up, but certainly making a mess out of them.)

I can see no reason to have a window at the head of the bed, so I am looking for ways to deal with it! Maybe tint the window really dark on the outside, and cover it with a picture or something on the inside? How about removing the window? I see a lot of 5'ers on the road the have bedroom slides with no windows, and I would like to improvise something to mimic those.

I did a cursory search on these pages and didn't find anything, but if I missed it... please point me in the right direction!

Here are a couple of pictures of my rig to give you all some food for thought!

Inside the bedroom

And the window from the outside

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2010, 02:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Tinting the outside and putting up a padded headboard in lieu of the drapes and blinds would be an easy thing to do and can be reversed if ever needed.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Remove the window treatments and cover it over, e.g. the padded headboard that Mike suggested (that's what I would do).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I've always hated those windows above the bed. Years ago the TT we had was like that & when it was cold out, it was always drafty at the head of the bed. The padded headboard idea will aleviate that.

You can also buy static cling privacy decal sheets to cut to fit the window like these:

Or a pretty stained glass one like this:

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just make sure its not your emergency exit window.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:27 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Just make sure its not your emergency exit window.
Excellent point! There is one at the foot of the bed too... I will have to see which one is the escape window, and if it is the offending window and I make some kind of headboard, I will have to have it easily moved out of the way, and make sure everyone knows how to do that!

Maybe make one that swings down, and then attach a rope ladder or something to the back of it! In my old 5'er, that escape window in the bedroom should have had an additional decal in it... "Watch your first step!" It is quite a drop from that window to the ground, but I guess a broken leg or something is better than being toasted alive!
Old 04-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well Mark, that's been my dilemma too. My "escape " window is almost seven feet off the ground.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Off hand (but you should confirm), from the photos you submitted, I don't think the one at the head of the bed is your emergency exit window. There'd be an red EXIT sticker showing (from the outside) in the corner & also red handles on the inside (usually easily seen below the window blind).

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #9

Don't forget that as summer approaches it gets warmer and you may want some fresh air.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
Don't forget that as summer approaches it gets warmer and you may want some fresh air.
I plan on installing my "Turbo-Maxx" powered vent fan in the bedroom (because of lack of power in the living room) so that, and the other window at the foot of the bed should provide adequate ventilation.

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far...