Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2016, 06:00 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Need advice on building a new stone driveway

We are cutting out a 25' X 100' section of our side yard to put in a stone driveway. We have a 40' Class A weighing 20 - 25 tons. I am getting estimates with different stories of how many inches of stone. I have heard anywhere from 4 to 12 inches in total depth. This is what I know but would want to hear opinions.

Do you need to put down a weed mat?
First layer should be a good base of 3/4 inch crusher blend with some dust. How many inches deep?
Compact well.
Top layer of 3/4 inch trap rock. How many inches?
Is it harmful for the tires to sit on the stone? Should I get thick mats for under the tires?
Finally, should I store the RV on the leveling jacks?

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2016, 06:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzfam View Post
We are cutting out a 25' X 100' section of our side yard to put in a stone driveway. We have a 40' Class A weighing 20 - 25 tons. I am getting estimates with different stories of how many inches of stone. I have heard anywhere from 4 to 12 inches in total depth. This is what I know but would want to hear opinions.

Do you need to put down a weed mat?
First layer should be a good base of 3/4 inch crusher blend with some dust. How many inches deep?
Compact well.
Top layer of 3/4 inch trap rock. How many inches?
Is it harmful for the tires to sit on the stone? Should I get thick mats for under the tires?
Finally, should I store the RV on the leveling jacks?

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Without know where you live (beyond city and state), freezing issues, what kind of soil, substrate you have in your area, sandy, clay, rock, etc, any replies will be pretty much meaningless. I suggest you ask a local construction company what they would suggest doing if they have to give you a written warranty for 10 years against you tires sinking in!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:15 AM   #3

To add to the above answer, the amount of rainfall is another factor.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:27 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Reseach geo fabric. Stuff used in highway construction. Kinda looks like weed blocker but much thicker. Allows water to pass but prevents rocks/gravel from being pushed down into soil. Best news is it will reduce amount of material needed by up to 50%. So it will save you money. I built over 600 feet of drive on our property and at 15 years it is still as flat as it was on day one. And most of it was on sandy soil. If available in your area - consider washout concrete.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:12 AM   #5

The subgrade is more important than the rock. Parking on gravel is a non issue for me, some think you need pads.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #6

My jacks stay up when in storage.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:48 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I build roads for a living. In our area alone, base thicknesses can vary from 8" (the Minimum) to 30" (the absurd). A soils engineer makes that determination on a job to job basis. Geogrid is good stuff. Lime stabilization is another method, although not my choice. If you are sitting on solid rock, I would use a minimum of 6". If you are on dirt or clay, go up from there depending on the plasticity index (severity) of the clay. If it is bad enough, the grid or other stabilizing methods might be warranted.

On my parking pad, I used 8" crushed limestone topped off with 2" gravel. The gravel I used is 3/8" and has sharp edges. It does it's job and prevents tracking, but it also migrates alot and gets into your shoe treads. It is also painful on the knees while working on the RV. If I had it to do over, I would use a smooth river gravel instead. I elevated my piers so that a 6" concrete pad could be poured over the top of it later.

Good drainage is another big factor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0040.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	128370  
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:30 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Without know where you live (beyond city and state), freezing issues, what kind of soil, substrate you have in your area, sandy, clay, rock, etc, any replies will be pretty much meaningless. I suggest you ask a local construction company what they would suggest doing if they have to give you a written warranty for 10 years against you tires sinking in!

We are in a farming neighborhood of the New Jersey shore area. I have excavated over the years and found areas of my yard to be a foot of soil on top of a layer of clay and then sand about 3-4 feet down. Our frost line is 3 ft.

I did ask 3 different contractors and received various opinions. Asking for a warranty is good advice. Thanks to all.

Tags
advice