Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #1

Need advice on rain leak

I have a Jayco Seneca 37FS which is only 1 year old and therefore still under the 2 year Jayco factory warranty. We have a leak of rain water somewhere on the roof, likely through a penetration point. The rig spent 4 months on two separate visits to the dealer for repair of this issue. They changed and tightened the front AC seal and recaulked the satellite wires as their two solutions. They claim to have tested it in the rain and of course saw no leaks. As part of the leak resolution the wood floor had to be replaced. I just got it back 2 months ago.

Today I went to check on it and start prepping for this season. Of course I found more evidence of new water and some mold spots that all are in the same area of origin.

Here is my question. Do I 1)bring it back to the dealer again given that I have no faith in what they will do, 2) try to get Jayco to do something, 3) sort it out myself since I am handy and actually care to solve the problem.

Are these kind of leaks common?

Thanks for your help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Jayco of course! Starts with a quick phone call to let them know what day you will be arriving with the unit (im a little passive aggressive)

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #3

I know some dealerships are doing a pressure test with soapy water to detect roof leaks. I am not sure what the test consists of but sounds like it would be worth while to pursue.

Best of luck.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #4

Have the dealer use a SealTech leak detection system on your RV. It WILL locate all water intrusion sites if the RV technician knows how to use the system. When we got our, then new, 2005 5th wheel trailer, it had a water leak. The dealer used the SealTech system and located the entry-point over 14' from where water could be seen inside the trailer. While testing the 5er, the technician located 3 more tiny, as yet undetected leaks and repaired all at the same time.
We never had another water leak; sold the 5er last year.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #5

My opinion a water test AKA garden hose is useless. I had a HR that leaked like a screen door and dealer did a water test. Finally I got in it during a rain and found it myself a poorly design slide seal.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #6

Very important to get notice to manufacturer in writing...period!

The fine print in last line of warranty states you may have other rights...

In ca and many other states warranty clock stops on iyems covered under warranty if reported while under warranty until it is fixed correctly.

Keep copies of all paperwork and check with your consumer protection department to confirm how your warranty is applied.

You may wish to file a claim if that is done in your state just to cover your butt as water damahe may not be discovered until well out of warranty so you need to be sure extra protection is in place in writing.

Mold is a nasty stuff so you may need to request strip out and sanitize to avoid health concerns.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:29 AM   #7

Strip out, meaning the whole interior and ceiling! This is a brand new rig. I agree that is something to consider if they find evidence of mold in other places, but jeez if that is the case shouldn't there be some other sort of solution from Jayco? I can't imagine the MH would ever be the same again after being gutted. Not to mention that I make a monthly payment on it and it will be out of service for many more months and it's value probably just tanked. What a disaster.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #8

Not complete strip as you stated big deal...but any where mold is seen is another issue and that needs to be stripped out from where water entered to area of mold and properly cleaned and sealed.

Cannot just wipe it off the floor and call it good.

It is a new unit and needs to be properly repaired and not have mold or source of it.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:21 AM   #9

Also note that warranty clock should be stopped durring this time as well.

Working directly with manufacturer usually gets the issue restored faster...the dealer does the workaybe but you work wit manufacturer to keep dealer out of the middle so you can avoid possible short cuts.

Also request photos of before and after work.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Owning an a Jayco product, I would want it documented with the factory during the warranty period in case the problem continues. I would also call the factory and let them take care of it, it's under warranty and that is what you paid for. If the leak continues and you did the work...could Jayco say you caused it? Something to think about.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Seal tech will find your leak. Let the Jayco factory solve your issue. Contact them immediately!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My vote is to contact Jayco. Being the dealer had your unit as long as they did and still didin't fix the problem makes me wonder if they looked into it all. Good luck and hope you get it resolved.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:21 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
air test

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshaggydog View Post
I know some dealerships are doing a pressure test with soapy water to detect roof leaks. I am not sure what the test consists of but sounds like it would be worth while to pursue.

Best of luck.
I don't know if this applies in your case but our new MH (Class C) had multiple leaks around the front cap. The dealer showed me what they were doing with the air test. They removed one of the vent openings (in the front cap) and have a huge hose fit to secure to the vent and air is pumped in and then soapy water is used all around the outside of the coach to find any leaks of air. They found multiple on my front cap and sealed them all very well I am hoping. Been through lots of rain storms and no leaks found. So, I am in favor of the air test in my case. And I agree it is Jayco responsibility to get it right. Buying a new rig with such issues is no fun.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoDoc View Post
I have a Jayco Seneca 37FS which is only 1 year old and therefore still under the 2 year Jayco factory warranty. We have a leak of rain water somewhere on the roof, likely through a penetration point. The rig spent 4 months on two separate visits to the dealer for repair of this issue. They changed and tightened the front AC seal and recaulked the satellite wires as their two solutions. They claim to have tested it in the rain and of course saw no leaks. As part of the leak resolution the wood floor had to be replaced. I just got it back 2 months ago.

Today I went to check on it and start prepping for this season. Of course I found more evidence of new water and some mold spots that all are in the same area of origin.

Here is my question. Do I 1)bring it back to the dealer again given that I have no faith in what they will do, 2) try to get Jayco to do something, 3) sort it out myself since I am handy and actually care to solve the problem.

Are these kind of leaks common?

Thanks for your help.

Just saying, but if it were me I would go to Jayco direct. The dealer was unable to fix the problem. 1-800-283-8267.

Document everything you said above in a letter to Jayco. Certified, return receipt requested after you discuss it with your lawyer. Ask jayco to extend the warranty the same amount of time your unit was in the shop to be fixed that never happened.

Do not try to repair it yourself as Jayco can claim you made the problem worse or did take the responsibility of the "fix" when you tried to fix it. Do take this serious as this water leak will cost you thousand and thousand of dollars if you let it slide. Floor Damage, wall damage, ceiling damage, mold that could is a serious health hazard to your family.

Your leak could be coming from many, many different areas of the roof or other areas of the coach. ie; front cap seal, front marker lights seals, wire entrance seals, antenna seals, side rail defects (the area where the awnings are attached), perforated roof itself, windows, slides, etc,etc.

Jayco, 1 800-283-8267 ask for customer service. If they do not give you satisfaction dial again and ask for the executive officer in charge.

Hope they stand by their promises and fix your rig.

Regards, bumpus4

Tags
advice, leak