Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2016, 11:40 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Need advice on RV Garage

Hi All,

I'm thinking of purchasing a house with an RV garage, but the garage is too small for my RV. My RV dimensions are: 40' 9" long and 12'10" tall. The RV garage has a 12' garage door and is only 40' long. Is there a way of modifying this garage to make it work? I know I can extend the length either in front or in the back, but how do I make the height work? I would like a 14' garage door. Is this going to take major reconstruction of the existing garage? Any creative ideas?

-Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv garage.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	127764  
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 12:42 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
If it is possible to move the door to the center of the structure, you could re-work the ceiling to be a cathedral ceiling that follows the roof line. Extend the front of the building out 5 or 6 feet and install a 14 ft door. Remember that you will need a 16' internal ceiling to install a 14' door. If you install a conventional door, that 16' ceiling will need to extend at least 14' inside the front of the garage. A roll-up type door would only need about 4 feet of the 16' height. Be sure to leave room for an attached tow bar.

I put a 12'4" Newmar Bay star under a 12' door. It involved changing one of the roof air conditioner from a high profile unit to a low profile heat pump. I also had part of the floor lowered by 4". (jack-hammered out and re-poured concrete.) I don't recommend lowering the floor, since it causes a swimming pool issue inside the garage when it rains.

The 12' 10" height may be a worst case estimate. Be sure to measure your coach. I bought about 4" of height reduction by switching to a lower profile heat pump. The actual coach roof height is about a foot lower that the worst case height. The high items are ACs, heat pumps, antennas, vents.

If you decide to do a major re-construction. Plan for a worst case size that is bigger than your current RV. Go for a 45' length with an attached tow bar. Be sure you put in a 14' door. If possible make it wide enough to put your slides out while its in the garage. In the long run it may be better to do the major re-construction. I had to do mine the hard way due to zoning issues.

Good luck,

Jerry
Old 05-22-2016, 04:04 AM   #3

I'm no expert, but I think you're looking at major rework to the structure. Unless this is a super great deal or there is something about the location I'd keep looking. The cost of rewickerong this garage might be as much as just adding a new one.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:51 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another option is to get a smaller RV...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:44 AM   #5

From the picture it appears that the roof soffits are not high enough. That would mean a complete roof structure tear down. Extend the walls up at least a foot and new roof line.
That would be one expensive project. Unless your getting the house for free you would never ever recover that cost.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:49 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Not feasible. It would cost a bloody fortune.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:54 AM   #7

My guess is there are trusses involved, which would be really difficult to rework even if you were to center the door.

My only thoughts would involve redoing the grade and dropping the floor.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:11 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Looking at a major rework that would cost $$$$$. The roof doesn't allow for the higher door. The entire roof would have to be raised, walls extended, and new roof installed.

Anything is possible with enough money but doesn't seem realistic.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your insight. I was suspecting that this was going to be a major rework, but I just wanted to see if there was something that I was perhaps missing.

The reason that I like this property is that it has a 5 car garage, plus this RV garage. It also has room and is zoned for horses and chickens.....and maybe more. In Southern California, these are rare properties to find.
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Is the garage a separate building? If so, you could lift the structure, add a 2' tall concrete stem wall foundation, then lower the structure on the new stem wall. Just like they do when they lift a house to add a foundation. Any way you look at it, its $$$$, but then again, location, location. location. Especially in So Cal.
Good luck,
Mike
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:18 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
What is the construction of the exterior walls. Are the block or stud wall.

How is the roof constructed, is it a truss system, is it tied to any other buildings or is it stand alone???

If it is a block type construction with a full truss roof it may pay to get a contractor to look at it and see if it would be possible to jack the whole roof up ~2 ft and and addition height to the wall system. Not necessarily an easy job but possible but again what would this cost, who knows.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:58 AM   #12

Remove roof
Tear down front or back wall
Extend side of garage another few feet
Rebuild back wall
Increase height of all walls another few feet
Rebuild roof

Or buy a smaller and lower RV. I think something like fleetwoods excursion is lower and shorter but is also a entry level DP

Another option would be to leave the roof alone and remove the floor and drive then lower that 2ft. You would only need to redo either the front or back of the garage that way
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #13

I see space to the left side of the building. Any chance you could put a lower driveway there that leads to an extension of the garage?
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you contacted any local contractors for suggestions? Eyes on seems to be the only accurate way for suggestions.

I'd want to look at having the driveway leading to the garage as well as the garage floor lowered, it seems to be the least costly option.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice