Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #1

Need an opinion on tire protection

I'm getting a road side assistance program for my Rv and to get the tire protection it will cost me an extra $300.00 it's for five years and zero deductible I think its worth it, any body out there that as it do you think it's worth getting it or not? Thanks joe
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
I am sure it would be worth it if needed. What company are you going with? I have never heard of tire protection.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:30 AM   #3

It depends on the availability of the protection when you need it. If you are stuck out in Timbuck Two, are you going to have to stay there two days until the tire truck shows up? The reputation of the insurance company is probably more important than minor differences in cost.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #4

What good is a roadside assistance program if tire protection doesn't come with it? I would guess tire issues would be one of the biggest issues.
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos
I'm getting a road side assistance program for my Rv and to get the tire protection it will cost me an extra $300.00 it's for five years and zero deductible I think its worth it, any body out there that as it do you think it's worth getting it or not? Thanks joe
It's insurance. Like all insurance , it's very expensive of you never need it however it's real cheap if you do. The two don't necessarily have to be purchased together.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I recently got Good Sam for $79 @ year. Covers everything and also includes your other vehicles.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51
I recently got Good Sam for $79 @ year. Covers everything and also includes your other vehicles.
The op is referring to a separate policy on his tires besides the normal roadside assistance.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos View Post

Not a bad price for this type of coverage. Several years ago, we had similiar coverage throught the Route 66 program.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ninos,
The answer is it all depends.
1. Is the coach and tires new or pre owned?
2. How many miles will you travel in the next 5 years?
3. What kinds of roads will you travel on?
4. Will you carry a spare tire (mounted or unmounted)?
5. Are you "religious" about tire PSI for the weight being carried?
6. Who will be RVing with you? Just you, spouse, kids, Gkids, etc?

All the above mentioned items play into your decision. For me, I carry a fully mounted spare tire. Bought my coach new in 05. I still got the tire protection policy. The main reason was I have Gkids that travel with me all summer. Because they are being shown the USA, I would be driving on many roads other than Interstate highways. I never used the policy, but for me, that is a good ending.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall

The op is referring to a separate policy on his tires besides the normal roadside assistance.
If that means free tire replacment, then I stand corrected and sounds like a reasonable deal.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51

If that means free tire replacment, then I stand corrected and sounds like a reasonable deal.
No problem.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
ninos.....I think the tire protection plans are good if the company is reputable. We bought the protection when our coach was new for $275.00 (7 years ago). The first year we got a screw in the sidewall. Following the warranty procedures, I paid for the repair and insured that the tire dealer faxed the company a copy of the repair. It took 12 weeks for the company to finally mail my check. They kept saying that they were moving and things had been displaced. I smelled an end was near. They finally paid me $500.00 for the repair and then went out of business. At least I got my money's worth.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't buy it, because the chances of needing to have a tire replaced due to road hazard are pretty slim in most cases. Most RVers don't drive a lot of miles, or on bad roads, and large RV tires (19.5 and 22.5") are extremely durable as long as they are kept inflated properly.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary, but I've had no actual tire failures in 11 years and 100k miles of motorhome driving. Including Alaska and multiple cross country trips.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote